Suggestion/hope for fm 10

In fm 09, the middle/smaller clubs transfer AI is crap, they only buy low, cheap players fitting their reputation, unlike in real life where there are pretty big acquisitions by the middle clubs, such as Napoli, Palermo and Genoa in Italy, and Sunderland in England etc. As soon as the second transfer window, you see all the big clubs buying ANY talent there is among the smaller clubs, and the smaller clubs never buy any big players, nor players with potential. As i said on another topic i created, clubs such as Milan, Inter and Barcelona buy 5-6 world class strikers, just to sit there and play no more than 10 matches between them. It's a very different case in real life, so i would love to see smaller clubs try to show ambition by buying some bigger players or at least young players with great potential. (See Napoli and Palermo this year)

I think everyone would agree, and SI have constantly said they want to make the transfer system better. Who'd have thought you'd get Tuncay at Stoke? In FM09 he usually ends up at Liverpool or some big Italian team.

Reputation plays too big a part in FM09, in more ways than one. It may be that the gaps between top flight clubs is too great in the programming, and too big between certain players.

However, the problem you highlight is not as big as the problem with big teams buying players based only on reputation and availability. Four left wingers and one righty at Man City and six international DMCs at Liverpool is a bit much. Although Man City IRL aren't far off when it comes to strikers.

I disagree. Smaller clubs can and do become bigger clubs, how can they do this without spending big or buying the right players?

Rarely happens in the game though - it's only teams that are "on the verge" of becoming big teams that actually get close, Tottenham and Villa come to mind. The OP is right IMO. The game teams don't buy good enough players when they are still small.

I was in a very long career game once. Dafuges challenge I believe. After 40 or so years West Brom, Middlesbrough, Arsenal, Liverpool and Portsmouth occupied the top 6 with Middlesbrough consistently winning the European Cup. Manchester United were no where to be seen due to them being in the Championship. Liverpool were also relegated 20 or so years in but have soon managed to climb back. Newcastle are in Blue Square Premier and Aston Villa in League 1. Extremely strange game I beleive.

Rarely happens in the game though - it's only teams that are "on the verge" of becoming big teams that actually get close, Tottenham and Villa come to mind. The OP is right IMO. The game teams don't buy good enough players when they are still small.

I disagree. In my game, 2015 and Bolton/Reading are in the CL. 7 years hardly seems a long time for Reading to jump from the Championship to the CL, and I would assume the AI has made good signings in order for them to achieve this.

In another save FC Utrecht have broken into the Big 3 in Holland and Genoa got CL football.

I disagree. Smaller clubs can and do become bigger clubs, how can they do this without spending big or buying the right players?

Tbf part of that story is the sometimes poor transfer AI which leads to the decline of the big clubs by itself. It doesn't need to be a sign of good transfer policy of the smaller clubs only :(

Archived