Difference between...

FM08 had real problems with Newgens. The first batch were okay, but after 5-10 years they were totally unballanced, eg, a striker could have 18 for dribbling, finishing, technique, etc, but then 8 for pace, 10 for strength, 5 for composure, making him a decent L1 or Championship player but not the world class player his technical attributes suggest. You also rarely got a 17 year old slotting into your team like a Rooney or C. Ronaldo, or even a Rodwell.

FM09 went a long, long way to redressing this, but I know a lot of people think there is room for improvement. I've not got further than 2022 and aside from the increase in world class players from nations where the leagues are "active" I'm happy with the progression.

FM08 had real problems with Newgens. The first batch were okay, but after 5-10 years they were totally unballanced, eg, a striker could have 18 for dribbling, finishing, technique, etc, but then 8 for pace, 10 for strength, 5 for composure, making him a decent L1 or Championship player but not the world class player his technical attributes suggest. You also rarely got a 17 year old slotting into your team like a Rooney or C. Ronaldo, or even a Rodwell.

FM09 went a long, long way to redressing this, but I know a lot of people think there is room for improvement. I've not got further than 2022 and aside from the increase in world class players from nations where the leagues are "active" I'm happy with the progression.

Not true, this wasn't the problem. The problem was:

- The lack of decent physical attributes as a whole

- Jumping was especially bad - you would be very, very lucky to get a top-class centre-back with Jumping > 18 (as of now, I can only see around 4 world-class centre-backs with Jumping >= 18 in my game, and I have 2 of them)

- Aggression was very oddly distributed - you would get tons of docile but dirty centre-backs who wouldn't hurt a fly

- Two-footedness really made regens look awful

- Corners were bizarrely biased towards full-backs, strikers and sometimes even centre-backs. I struggled to find a decent winger with corner taking above 14

- Ditto penalty-taking, where midfielders seemed oddly good at it but strikers pathetic

They have, last game with regens was fm 2007.

The regen system was scrapped after CM01/02 I believe, with CM4 being the first to have the Newgen system, although it took SI until FM2007 to get it working pretty well.

Archived