FM2010 blogs - day 1

• SI Staff

For the last couple of years in the run up to the release of the new Football Manager, we've done blogs which have shown off both the already announced, and some unannounced, new features.

Today, the blogs start for FM2010, with a very special partner!

We are delighted to be able to announce that we've partnered up with the Daily Mirror and Daily Record and their new football website, www.mirrorfootball.co.uk to be able to provide a unique insight into Football Manager 2010 with blogs most days between now and the release of the demo of Football Manager 2010, which will, as always, be a couple of weeks before the game is released.

MirrorFootball will also be the exclusive host of what we call the "vanilla" version of the demo of the game, which will be English language only and feature the UK leagues. We will provide the multi-language version with more leagues from here.

There was a little video yesterday on the Mirror's site which announced this partnership, which you can see at http://www.mirror.co.uk/video/sport/2009/09/01/football-spy-meets-football-manager-115875-21640146/ and the first of the FM2010 blogs is now live at http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Exclusive-Discover-the-new-features-in-Football-Manager-2010-with-our-new-daily-blog-article141113.html - which includes a new feature, and a little interview with Jon McClure from Reverend and the Makers just after he saw FM2010 for the first time!

It's well worth looking around Mirror Football too - I think it's a really good site and a great place for footy interviews, news and gossip.

We hope you enjoy the blogs, and I look forward to revealing lots of info on FM2010 over the coming weeks.

doesn't look particularly well implemented.

why do you need a second or third opinion on when goals are scored? it's pretty black and white...

JUST TO CLARIFY:

the purpose the feature is trying to achieve is a good one - however it's the implementation that seems a bit off. does goals scored when etc need to come from the backroom? do you need 2nd, 3rd opinions on this?

Didn't like that new feature but i guess it's ok for stats fans.

It says it's about far more than stats though...

The backroom advice screen is an area where you can get regular feedback from your backroom staff to get advice on every area of the running of the team, from tactics, player interaction, advice on signings and scouting.

why do you need a second or third opinion on when goals are scored? it's pretty black and white...

More likely second and third opinions will be there for scouting, signings, interaction etc advice.

• SI Staff
Too much talking, not enough pool. Who won? :D

A good start to the media campaign though Miles :)

I'm not very good at pool....

well we no nothing specific about it , pro's and con's so just wait for tomorrow's blog then judge

Indeed :)

Do you keep a record, throughout a season, of what time in a match goals are scored against you, or by you? You don't think it would be useful to know?

If most goals are scored against you in the first 15 minutes, then maybe you are starting the game in too attacking a mindframe? Maybe taking it slow in the first 15 minutes would lead to you letting in less goals?

miles - i think that part is very useful but needing second or third opinions seems like one of these little things thats a bit overboard on it...

like asking your player to recommend a coach... a bit... pointless...

Read what Scoham said about this. Not sure he should be saying it mind :D but it is true that this feature is more for the applications he mentions rather than the one shown in the blog.

Well on the screenshot it says that they score the most goals between the 1st and 15th minute ... i dont see why SI have cose to implement this into the game.

All they doing is just stating facts, and i cant really see how it can improve your game. Personally iam a little dissapointed about this feature, but i will come back tomorrow to let the explain how it works. I would have liked them to spend more time and other areas of the game though

Interesting to see that Everton were cited as a club who use FM as a scouting aid.

Would imagine lots of smaller / non league clubs would use it but not premier league clus.

I understand many clubs with low scouting budgets use Football Manager as an initial scouting tool so they can focus their resources. I also reckon a professional manager could also be using it indirectly for example his 13 year old son that plays FM says "Dad buy this player".

What I don't understand is that Championship Manager claim a professional club is paying them for the use of the database in their scouting. Anyone can walk into a shop buy a copy of the game for £30 and look at the database on the editor so why pay the developer for that?

Love the idea of the feature. It's something that has definitely been lacking in FM. Up to now all we have post-match is ratings and a few other stats like tackles, pass completion, etc. I'm very keen to be able to see more info about the matches. Hopefully even the player stats shown during a match will be improved by adding some other variables like mistakes made, saves, etc.

I'm really keen on the game providing additional information upon which I can base my tactical changes and substitutions during a match.

Well on the screenshot it says that they score the most goals between the 1st and 15th minute ... i dont see why SI have cose to implement this into the game.

All they doing is just stating facts, and i cant really see how it can improve your game. Personally iam a little dissapointed about this feature, but i will come back tomorrow to let the explain how it works. I would have liked them to spend more time and other areas of the game though

Screenshot doesn't show a lot, like I said earlier the blog says it'll also give advice for scouting, training, signings etc, which you may find more interesting and useful than match stats.

I understand many clubs with low scouting budgets use it as an initial scouting tool so they can focus their resources. I also reckon a professional manager could also be using it indirectly for example his 13 year old son that plays FM says "Dad buy this player" :D

When Les Reed was our manager, one of the match programmes said his son was looking for players for him, though it might have been on Championship Manager.

• SI Staff

Probably best to wait for the full blog before writing it off as there is a lot more to it than just stating facts.

I

What I don't understand is that Championship Manager claim a professional club is paying them for the use of the database in their scouting. Anyone can walk into a shop buy a copy of the game for £30 and look at the database on the editor so why pay the developer for that?

Prehaps CM release the data to them before the games released? Could just be a marketing stunt though, nice bit of publicity for CM. Adds that professional credibility.

In general, I like the features that have been announced so far.

I'm just praying now, that future blogs reveal:

1) That finances have been tuned a bit, so its not so easy to make money and have £100mn transfer budgets every year.

2) Board confidence has been tweaked, especially (a) it values past achievements more and doesnt reset to stable the season after completing a hattrick of titles, for example, and (b) you are not expected to win every single cup competition every season.

3) Trophy presentations, laps of honour etc now shown on 3D match engine :)

Read what Scoham said about this. Not sure he should be saying it mind :D

Says in the blog itself it's for scouting, training, tactics, player interaction etc advice, which obviously suggests it's more than just stats. I can't imagine you'd get stats about player interaction or scouting.

It's a fact that you can use to make an informed decision about your tactics. It won't be used by everybody, but some people will use it. And anyway, I can't imagine they've devoted months and months of development time to calculating this. The whole backroom advice thing could be very useful if they've done a good job on it. (Obviously it could be a half-baked mess aswell, but we can but hope :D ).

Interesting to see that Everton were cited as a club who use FM as a scouting aid.

Would imagine lots of smaller / non league clubs would use it but not premier league clus.

Yes, would be very interested to know how many football clubs use FM & who they are?

Perhaps Miles would like to submit this?:D

Seriously though, the new game looks pretty good so far & can't wait for the demo!!!

Probably best to wait for the full blog before writing it off as there is a lot more to it than just stating facts.

Your right ... i'am not writing you off though. I will check back tomorrow and see what you have to say.

Btw with regards to the backroom advice, on the right hand side is displays a little graph showing how much knowledge your backroom staff have. What i would like to know is the higher the green bar is, the better advice you will get ?

Its just that iam a little confused in what it is trying to display

I think this new feature has the potential to be quite useful. It obviously has been implemented with the purpose of helping the player adjust their tactics according to the opposition's tactics by using statistics, records and opinions of staff members which is realistic in my opinion.

In real life, clubs study their opponents thoroughly and this feature brings that to FM, or so it seems. If it's well done, it can be of great use to the player.

Anything that can help the player to improve their game/tactics is more than welcome to the series in my opinion as that has been the majority of people's concern over the last few releases; the difficulty and randomness of the tactics representation in the game.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's in-depth blog.

Looks like a promising start.

Getting a bit worried about information overload already :(

It already takes far too long to get through a match, with opposition instructions, teamtalks, ass man feedback, and now you get a screen before each match that has a good 25 suggestions?

Immersion is a good thing, but too much detail is a very, very bad thing.

And a question - how is this effected by your ass man's/coaches stats?

Is the information provided going to be wrong if he's not very tactically astute? Or just less detailed?

If its the former, then you might as well disable it for LLM teams.

It already takes far too long to get through a match, with opposition instructions, teamtalks, ass man feedback, and now you get a screen before each match that has a good 25 suggestions?

By very definition "too much" of something is bad.

Like with any advice on the game previously you can ignore it so if you don't want the info it won't take up any time.

I agree with you ... I like this idea of having an in-depth manager game.

But i like the idea even more if you have a arcade like manager game (i.e. CM 03/04) ... i'am also getting worried that it could take an age to complete one season. I'am also worried that you HAVE to take a look at the statistics because if you dont then your team wont be sucessfull.

So i hope that you are not forced into these things just so you can enjoy your game. Sometimes simple is best

Is the information provided going to be wrong if he's not very tactically astute? Or just less detailed?

If its the former, then you might as well disable it for LLM teams.

The accuracy of the advice will be based on a number of factors that will be revealed at some point. Otherwise you may as well have a "make me win" advice button that works every time. So no worries for LLM.

I agree it shouldn't be a "make me win" advice feature, but at the same time, if the advice is going to be wrong, then there's little point in it being there.

Managers in real life get bad advice from their backroom staff.

Why else would Anthony Pullis be at Southampton? :D

You can ignore both bad and good advice. As to whether you can trust it, like in real life look at where the advice has come from and if that gives any validity.

simply leave them out, but i rather have them so i can be in control of my game rather then watching how the pc calculates randomly, this way i can have a big influence on the game

without these parts of the software my personal opinion is that we would sit in front of the monitor watching AI vs AI (which is boring after a while)

Yes, but you know what people in real life are like. You generally know if someone is talking out of their arse after you've known them for a while, because they have a personality.

A screen showing some stats does not have personality.

maybe when AI's will think for themselves :D

until then you can see motivation, tactical knowledge, judging player potential and ability, professionalism etc. and if these stats are high normally they should represent a professional staff member who's knowing what he is talking about

I think the Blogs should be posted and closed - too many people jumping the gun to slate the game already' date=' no-one will really know what its all about until you have the demo available...In my eyes.[/quote']

true, but if they close the thread then 7-10 new one will be posted by users every 5 hours

I like the idea of more information being presented, however i'm quite worried about how the FM gamer is supposed to act on it.

I raised a question in the first FM10 announcement about the Pro-Zone-like-stats in FM10 showing where your shots come from, passes attempted/success etc, specifically if there was going to be any Assistant Manager advice that would help the end-gamer act on this information. The screenshots on the Match Analysis screen effectively bombarded the gamer with an endless amount of stats in my opinion and newer-gamers need advice on how to act on this.

I asked 3 times and didn't get any answer, so i can only assume that there is either no Assistant Manager advice on how to act on the Match Stats, or there is and it's being kept secret for now.

The same worry also applies for this new feature. Again it looks like theres some very usefull stats, but the title "Backroom Advice" is misleading. There's no advice given in the screenshot, it's just analysis of statistics. Obviously i can't lament a feature on 1 screenshot because that's ridiculous! But to those who have developed the game: Will there be any advice from the Assistant Manager or Coaches on how to act on the statistics presented?

It's all good knowing that we concede a lot of goals inside the first 20mins, but what am i supposed to do about it? It wouldn't take much effort to add some more information and i'd be surprised if SI missed this when adding the feature.

I think people may have misunderstood this feature.

The analysis shown isn't about the team being managed. In the screen shot the team being managed is AFC Wimbeldon, yet the analysis is about Forest Green. So I think the potentially expands on the scouts reports.

Knowing your next opposition concedes most of their goals in the first fifteen minutes is a good fact to know, you can adjust your tactic to exploit it and hopefully get an early goal or two before changing the tactic again to settle things down.

Although this is as much specualtion as it is fact, I suggest a closer look at the screenshot is taken.

Archived