[SUGESTIONS] Set pieces : there's something missing

There's something missing in the way set pieces are handled.

I'll give a few examples.

1. I'm defending a corner. My set up involves a few players stay forward to take advantage of a clearance and set up a counter attack. The opposition takes the corner and one of my defenders clears the ball and it's a throw-in for the opposition. What happens now? My players (the ones who I left forward) now back up (due to mentality and closing down instructions), and lose the possibility of a counter attack.

This shouldn't happen and therefore I propose throw-ins to be split into Attack and Defend, like corners and free kick.

2. The opposition striker is caught off-side. I win a free kick near my box, but to the side. Who takes it? Is it the player I set up? No. It's the GK. He is not a good taker and he could give the ball away easily and leave me exposed.

I propose the fullbacks have priority in this case. If suggestion #3 is considered, this would be covered by indirect free kicks.

3. Free kick should be split into direct and indirect, because not always your best shooter is also your best crosser.

1. First o f all that's normal if they loose the chance for counter they return to their normal positions, because you said it they lose the possibility not because they return but because the opposition has the ball and they will reorganize for sure.

2. Maybe you they have specific things like defense push up, and tempo quick hence the defenders are marching up field nobody is back except the goalie, so he takes the free kick also if you don't trust your goalkeeper with that sort of free kick do you trust him when he takes the goal kicks? If not set goal kicks settings to defender collect, this way you can be sure he doesn't screw up. If he's outside the box then normally he will deliver a long kick so your team has time to reorganize if you loose he ball afterward. But yes your suggestion is a good one if you like to control every aspect of your game why not set even free kick takers for these kind of situations ;)

3. I've seen indirect free kicks in older version of the game so maybe they bring it back.

I don't care who takes free kicks from a really long way out.

We do need more control over free kicks, though not necessarily direct-indirect. You probably wouldn't want a full back taking one from a narrower angle because they'll have to get back and defend, for example.

Tactically direct & indirect freekicks are very different from each other

free kicks need to be split into

Own Half

Oppenents Half :-

:- Direct

:- Indirect

With the option of a few extra instructions

why is there only 'best header' ?

wheres the 'best passer/crosser' options

throw-ins need an overhaul too. To me the whole set-peice setup appears to be an afterthought that has hurriedly been tagged onto the end at the last minute, it has no finesse, no polish, and lets the rest of the tactic window down badly.

...an afterthought that has hurriedly been tagged onto the end at the last minute, it has no finesse, no polish, and lets the rest of the tactic window down badly.

No. FM has had that format for several versions now.

Why exactly would you pass to your best passer or crosser from a free kick around the area? Shouldn't he or one like him be taking it?

because your best free kick taker might not be your best player at passing/crossing

because not every freekick around the area given is direct

Archived