Some ideas on scouting

Ok so I wanted to bring something up on scouting that irks me. Currently if you have attribute masking, you scout someone and his stats become available. But a scout couldnt absoloutly nail every stat...it seems a bit unrealstic so here's what im suggesting:

1) Ranged Attributes. On players that dont belong too them, when you scout them you would get ranged attributes. So say I scouted a good little 19 year old, his stats would then say "Finishing: 17-19" The better the scout the smaller the range. So if your a league two team it might say "Finishing: 13-19" but if you have a great scout he might even nail it right on and say "17".

Also you could have it based on how deep your scouting is. A 3 game scout mission is likely to narrow it down a lot more than a quick report card, but obviously time + money can influence whether it's good to go for a deep scout. The transfer deadline is coming up and you don't have time to have an in depth report. So you have to take a risk, get a quick report and a more broad range. Deadline day offers are often riskier in real life, as they can be rushed to get it through on time. This would be a way of reflecting that.

2) Mental Attributes are very very hard to judge. I'm not saying it's easy to note a player is a great finisher, but it's alot easier than working out what's in his head. Especially from just watching him. So I think that under my previous attribute range suggestion, theese would be even broader even if you have a good scout. A bad scout in the lower leagues would maybe come up with "Leadership: 4-18", whereas a good scout maybe "11-18" I just think it's impossible for a scout to say for definate that someone has theese mental stats without being in his head. Alot of the time maybe he wouldn't even know some of the stats and you'd still have a "-" there.

So just a couple of ideas on scouting. Interested to know what people think and any suggestions you may have to improve on the ideas :)

I quite like the idea of Ranged attributes. It seems more realistic as you often hear of sides scouting players 15-20 times or even more before going for them, Valencia and Man utd for example.

On the second point, I think the way the player behaves and how he is regarded by the scout's contacts would probably give him a pretty good idea of how good the player's leadership etc are.

I quite like this but I'm unsure how big the screen is of the average FM gamer since these ranges will mess up the template.

Although one suggestion: the scouts should be better or the ranges shouldn't be too wide... it can only make the lower divisions even more difficult than they are now. :(

Well how about for mental attributes...because imo you cant judge a players mental state by watching a few games...you could have the estimation as usual but there is a higher chance that the number isn't actually in the range. Obviously the more you scout the more chance there is of it being in that range...but if you've just briefly looked at him and said "composure: 11-15" there's a higher chance of it coming out at 8 or something. Because you can see a persons skills on show, but not really there brain. My view anyway.

Archived