Ethical Player Sale Decision

Okay i am in a bit of a pickle. I just finished my third season as Man City and i am considering selling a player but am having serious misgivings, allow me to explain.

The player in questiong is Richard Dunne, reasons against this sale are as follows. He is a fan favourite, he is my captain, i quite like him and would like to hire him as my next ass man for nostalgias sake. Reasons for the sale are: He is now 30 and his value is beginning to decline so if i am going to sell now is the time, he only has a couple more seasons left in him at this level, i want to hand the captaincy to Micah Richards and i have heard it's a bad idea to switch captains unless you sell the old one.

So what do you all think, am i best off keeping him? Or, am i best off cashing in and bedamn the nostalgia!

That is tricky! Do you know he definitely will become an assistant? I think that he could still become your assistant at a later date even if you sell him, and I think its probably the right move if you are no longer going to play him in your first team

Originally posted by M3TA1G0D:

That is tricky! Do you know he definitely will become an assistant? I think that he could still become your assistant at a later date even if you sell him, and I think its probably the right move if you are no longer going to play him in your first team

Yeah both myself and the club are in his favoured section and he is seriously thinking about being an ass man in the future.

Right i have made my decision, spurred on by the replies here and by the fact that he is thinking of a new challenge in the future (I'll be damned if i'm going to pay his wages just to have him galavant off to Spain in a year or so!). Even though it makes me feel dirty, i'm gonna cash in and buy some youth players.

Cheers for the help guys, i'm off for a chower to wash off the betrayal. I think i take this game too seriously.

Originally posted by Pricey85:

Okay i am in a bit of a pickle. I just finished my third season as Man City and i am considering selling a player but am having serious misgivings, allow me to explain.

The player in questiong is Richard Dunne, reasons against this sale are as follows. He is a fan favourite, he is my captain, i quite like him and would like to hire him as my next ass man for nostalgias sake. Reasons for the sale are: He is now 30 and his value is beginning to decline so if i am going to sell now is the time, he only has a couple more seasons left in him at this level, i want to hand the captaincy to Micah Richards and i have heard it's a bad idea to switch captains unless you sell the old one.

So what do you all think, am i best off keeping him? Or, am i best off cashing in and bedamn the nostalgia!

If a team has bid for him then I suggest sell, but if not, don't bother.

i think u need to be loyal and keep him within ur squad

in fact 2 more years isnot much in football world....keep him for one more year as ur captain then through this year move his squad status to whats like "back for first team" and dont play him much this way u can prepare Micah Richards to be ur next captian

and on second year make Richards official captain for u and this player u can offer him assistant manager role or wait till his contract is off after 2 years

Im in the same situtation but I kept my captain, Barry Ferguson (Rangers) he doesnt get games anymore but Im keeping him to be one of my coaches. I havnt even taken his captain armband away from him...should I?

Its always my vice captain that becomes the captain for the games.

Im in a new season atm so I might take it away when I get asked

When I have a settled side, I tend to consider selling players when they reach 30/31, either that or if they're really good, hang on to them but don't start them.

My advice would be to do what you think is best for the team - if you can afford to replace Dunne with a better (and younger) defender, then do it. Besides, what's the likelyhood that Dunne would make a decent assistant manager anyway?

Archived