What sort of players do you sign?

Depends who my team is. If I'm Man City or Chelski, I go for the best players available plus the obvious youngsters (Saivet, etc).

If I'm Newcastle or Villa, I go for bargains that I have found on previous saves (Lewandowski, Milyevski, Adriano).

If I'm Leeds I pick up a bunch of freebies, sell on my dead wood and pick up the various corkers from Scotland that don't seem to mind nipping down to Yorkshire for three-year deals that mean I can ditch them when I get back to the Prem.

Scout recommendations.

Some of players I'd buy in real life are either too expensive/not interested in signing for my team, or not rated highly enough in the game (while IRL they'd work just fine in my team)

Also, I use to look for very adaptable players, possibly with multiple Natural/Accomplished positions, as I like to swap players around the pitch

The very best available youngsters. I always try to work 3-4 years in advance snapping up youngsters that i have a feeling about or that have positive scout reports that i know have a chance of making the first team in 3-4 years. My title winning team are all aged between 21-24 at the moment and have been at the club for a few years. In cup games and against weaker oppo, i give some of the 18-19 year olds a game. It keeps me interested as i've done most of my "usual" saves on FM.

My signing methodology is something like this:

At first I always take a sneak peek at my current Reserve or Youth squad. Are there any good player who can replace an outgoing player? If yes, then I promote him to the first squad. If no, I go through the scout reports thoroughly and try to find a player. If there are more than one player, I have to take a decision based on Price / Personality / Strength and Weakness / Recommendation.

I have tried this method in both big and small teams. I must say, this method actually works!

At the moment, due to having no transfer budget for the last three seasons, i'm jumping on every decent released player i can under 28.

I go for players with high technique, creativity and flair in general. Of course, i have other priorities for my defenders...

I love having a team that have high pace and acceleration attributes especially strikers and central defenders.

When I go Rangers I never sign big name players or shell out a lot of cas but buy unknowns, scout recommendations and regens. The first few seasons are always spent buying and selling on some youth players to boost my funds from this I can look to build a team, usually takes me 3 or 4 seasons to win everything champ league included :-) Once I am far enough in and I have sorted Rangers finances I would pay what is needed to in order to get the best players in the world. Try to get them early though to avoid this.

If I am a big team at the start current game I am Liverpool then I may buy a big player bought Aguero for £44million for example.

I tend to sign young players with potential and older players entering the last stretch of their career (to tutor the young players).

I'd rather get a diamond-in-the-rough for cheap that needs experience/tutoring than the same kid 3 years later for millions and millions of pounds. :o

EDIT: I also try to sign people who don't require work permits as I have the worst possible luck with them. :o

Archived