How do you select which leagues to use?

Recently I've had an urge to add a number of middling European leagues to what I use in a save, but I can't decide what, my most recent definite selection before this mess brings me down to the likes of Belgium, Ukraine and Greece, all top division only (aside from the big 5, which have a 2nd division aside from England which goes down further). However on a whim I've experimented with a save with some more, mainly central/southeast europe and Scandanavia and while its a reasonable speed, it would slow down after a while, plus occasionally sanity prevails and I realize I've overdone it but I want to get a rough idea what to have on FM10 so I don't end up changing my mind every day and I was wondering how people decide so I know how to prioritize, like league reputation, league ranking in uefa coefficients (which admitedly can be skewed by one good real life season like Romania a few years ago), country reputation (for example Austria aren't very good but with a higher reputation and richer league then Sweden who are better generally), club wealth, clubs in general (I know the attraction of the well known central and eastern european clubs seems odd), and one or 2 others even more marginal so I'm embarassed to mention them.

try think of leagues that would help you with your main team. i.e pick maybe belgium, poland or bulgaria so that you can get detailed analysis on any wp players you send there. Or maybe run leagues with a high proportion of players from your main leagues nationality like running slovakia with a czech rep league or belarus with a russian save

I like starting at the bottom of the football ladder and try work my way up so England is a must for me due to the number of leagues. Also there is a tool in the LLM thread that picks a random club from any of the lowest divisions you can manage in. I will use this club and pick some nations around this area.

I don't bother about league reputations although in my current game I started in Indonesia and found it quite hard to get a job in England.

I just go for leagues which I think I may end up managing in if I get bored of one team. Usually the big 3 (England, Spain, Italy) and maybe the top division of a few others like Holland, Scotland, Brazil, etc.

Archived