Out of Euro 2012 on Alphabetical Order!

I haven't played FM since like May, so to re-invigorate my interest I've been playing an international game as Spain. However, I just crashed out of Euro 2012 on alphabetical order to Germany, which I find rather ridiculous!

I was drawn into a bit of a group of death, so I knew it would be close. We both beat Croatia 4-1, and both lost 1-0 to Portugal, so we had identical records going into the last group game. We then drew 0-0, leaving us both on 4 points, with 4 goals scored each and 2 conceded. As I stated, we both also had identical results against the other 2 teams in the group. I was expecting a replay or penalty shoot-out, especially as it was the last group game. Instead, it just goes straight to the end of the game, and I click on continue where I find I am out of the tournament, simply because Germany begins with a G and Spain begins with S. Surely this would never happen in real-life? I feel cheated lol. I really would have thought the game would have a better way to seperate us, than what letter our countries begin with!

No it wasn't, I was 5th in the rankings and Germany were 13th, so I was 8 places above them. If it was done on that, I would have been the ones going through.

I'm pretty sure in this situation in real-life, the rules are it would go to a penalty shoot-out, especially as it was the last group game. I'm quite disappointed this isn't in the game.

It was probably on World Rankings, like in Euro Club competitions when they use Coefficients to sort groups.

I don't think it is in the Euros. Even in your link, it says this: 'unlike the European Championship', ie they have different rules. At Euro 2008, there was a identical situation to mine going into the last game (can't remember the teams), and Uefa announced before the last game, that as they were playing each other, if they had drawn, then it would go to a penalty-shoot out to decide who went through. They didn't end up drawing though, so it never happened.

Anyway, as Uefa had actually announced this, I expected it to also be the case in FM.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/tiebreakeffect.html

in world cups they draw lots I think, probably the same in euros

What makes it even more frustrating is, I didn't save it beforehand. I would never usually replay a game, but in a situation like this, I'd find it acceptable, as I'm out of the tournament basically for no reason lol. If it had been decided on a penalty shoot-out like it should be, then I would have been happy to accept the result either way.

SI, please sort this out for this years game if possible; update the rules to the same as real-life, and use a penalty shoot out to seperate the teams in a situation like this.

• 3 months later...

I drew 0-0 with them. I don't know if that's good or bad given that it was the Germany full of greyed-out players.

Both beat Saudi Arabia 2-0 and lost 1-0 to Ukraine, so had the exact same results.

To be honest I couldn't actually be bothered playing the whole World Cup with Ghana so it was a blessing in disguise...

A shoot-out is a bit of a grey area though because what if you weren't actually playing the team you were level with? What if, in your game, you'd played Germany first and drawn 0-0 and then the other results had gone as you state. Spain and Germany would have to meet up again just for a shoot-out. Surely this wouldn't happen in real life so shouldn't be on the game either.

In real life in this situation I honestly think they would just toss a coin.

At the end of the day though, the rules in the Euro Championship in real-life, are that if you are playing each other in the last game and draw after finishing with identical records and results, it goes to a shoot-out.

The World Cup is different.

A shoot-out is a bit of a grey area though because what if you weren't actually playing the team you were level with? What if, in your game, you'd played Germany first and drawn 0-0 and then the other results had gone as you state. Spain and Germany would have to meet up again just for a shoot-out. Surely this wouldn't happen in real life so shouldn't be on the game either.

In real life in this situation I honestly think they would just toss a coin.

Archived