Just had option to retire shirt number

I've never seen this before; I started a new game as Milan, at the end of the first season, Maldini retired and I was asked if I wanted to retire his shirt number- I did.

This is the first time I've ever seen this (don't know where it was in previous saves)

it's an absolutely fantastic addition to the game imo. Has anyone else seen this?

Nor did I Joe, never seen it before-don't know how to post a screenshot
IV. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

And I think quite a few German clubs have retired the No. 12 shirt for fans, pretty sure Werder Bremen have.

Basically,

1.go into the page in FM that you want to show.

2.Press Alt + F9

3.Go to a website called imageshack

4.on the website, press browse and look for the oicture which should be saved under My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 200_\Screenshots

5.Upload it

6. Post the link here

I think it could be possible that this is something that's exquisite to Maldini. He's probably the biggest legend tied to one club in the database, so SI might have honored him by giving you the option to retire his shirt number :)

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

What don't you get?? I shall explain

Yes, he did play a lot. It's the first save i've played on a new computer, so i had to download 9.03 patch again, is there any chance it could have been updated sometime to include this, because i've played many times as Milan before and never seen this?

bit of a mystery really, but a nice feature hopefully for FM10, maybe someone from S.I will see this and explain.

wonder if it will work on other players later in the game?

is it possible for this to happen with someone who you have made into a legend at a club? for example, if you sign someone in the first year, and 10 or whatever years later he is a legend and finally retires, has anyone been able to retire his number? would be nice to know that you could but i guess if you change numbers throughout a career it loses meaning.

Man Citys no.23 is retired on my game.

Marc Vivian Foe (sp)? I think it was him who died in an african nations game, one of the first of the more recent scares/losses there has been.

i remember SI talking about this as a new feature of FM09, retiring shirt numbers. So, yeah, I'd guess it would also happen for regens. I don't think it's common, you wouldn't want to have every player who'd done 10 years or so at your club having their shirt number retired, by 2100 you'd be down to using fractions for numbers, ala Blurnsball!

I had Barry at AV until he retired in 2019 meaning he spent his whole professional career with the club...

I never loaned him out when he got older and he ended up with 636 appearances & scored 91 goals.

He is now my Assistant Manager and he's not even on the Favoured personnel list

Yet Martin O'niell is on the Icons List... he was only at Villa for 2-3 seasons max...

Feel a little undervalued by your career club?

I will be gobsmacked if Gerrards number isn't retired. If I was Man Utd manager, I'd retire Giggs', but I don't think it's in Fergie's nature.

I don't know about retiring numbers.

There would be nowhere near as much history in the United NO.7 if it had just been retired after Best.

And once you've left all the '68 players shirts in rotation, to retire it for Giggs just feels a little weird, legend though he is. I'd rather they stuck another great player in it and let it build a mythology to rival the No. 7 - it's like a minute of applause for the dead, instead of a minute's silence, it's just more in the spirit of football.

I like that the feature's included in FM though. It's a nice touch.

I don't know about retiring numbers.

There would be nowhere near as much history in the United NO.7 if it had just been retired after Best.

And once you've left all the '68 players shirts in rotation, to retire it for Giggs just feels a little weird, legend though he is. I'd rather they stuck another great player in it and let it build a mythology to rival the No. 7 - it's like a minute of applause for the dead, instead of a minute's silence, it's just more in the spirit of football.

I like that the feature's included in FM though. It's a nice touch.

But in those days there was no such thing as squad numbers, it was just 1 to 11, so it wouldn't be possible to retire the numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to be able to retire any player's number, perhaps with board agreement (if he's had an incredible career), but the option to do so for regens for example doesnt seem to exist, I hope it will in the new game-it's a lovely feature to have.

Also, if a player's number has been retired by a club prior to the start of the game- like Baresi at Milan for example the game does not tell you who the shirt has been retired for, just that the number 6 has been retired-it would be nice if this was changed too imo.

I didn't know it was possible retiring a shirt number in FM09... at least not during the game.

Supercaptain Roar Strand retired this year in my save, after 600+ appearences for Rosenborg, and there was no retire number option... Actually he's not even listed among the club legends! (is there a maximum of legends a club can have?)

Archived