Sacked in FM2010

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been requested before and it always gets shot down but I actually think it is something that may help new players who are probably a bit overwhelmed when they first play FM. I wouldn't mind seeing it, not that I'd use it.

lol, what on earth would be the point in that?

As Neji has said it would allow first time users or people who don't know about football the opportunity to get to learn the game without getting fired every few months and having to start again.

Other SI games have had a similar option so they already have the know how to put it in. I don't see why there would be such opposition to the idea. If you're not interested in using it then don't use it, but a little checkbox in the options menu isn't going to ruin or affect your game in any way at all and it could make someone else's game more enjoyable. I think it would be a decent idea and don't see a problem with it at all.

Other SI games have had a similar option so they already have the know how to put it in. I don't see why there would be such opposition to the idea. If you're not interested in using it then don't use it, but a little checkbox in the options menu isn't going to ruin or affect your game in any way at all and it could make someone else's game more enjoyable. I think it would be a decent idea and don't see a problem with it at all.

Which ones?

Which ones?

Eastside Hockey Manager had the ability not to be fired, which was good when you weren't doing so well and wanted to stick with the team to develop your high draft picks and become a good team. Just like the Pittsburgh Penguins who went through 3 years of being a poor team, but that gave them 3 years of high draft picks where they built the core of their team and went on to win the Stanley Cup this year.

I'm not sure how having an option to do this is stupid? I don't think people realize this would be optional. If you think an optional choice would interfere with the reality of your game then you are delusional and take this video game way too seriously.

Why are people against it? If you don't HAVE to use it, then where is the problem?

It won't affect you or your game whatsoever.

I wouldn't use it but if someone wanted to, so what?

Comments like "stick to fifa manager" etc reall drag this forum down.

To be honest I don't think it's actually that useful for new players anyway. If you get to the stage where you get sacked, you squad morale and happiness are likely to be shot to the extent that even an experienced manager would find it difficult to turn around. A newer player would be better off looking at what mistakes they had made and then starting a new game and trying to avoid making those mistakes. That said, as long as it was optional and didn't require significant coding time to be diverted from other areas, I have no problem with it being in the game.

Although I would never use it I could see how something like this would be useful for beginners or young players to help ease themselves in to what can be a very overwhelming game

Maybe an optional 12/24 month grace period? (via tick box at career start) and after the initial 12/24 months normal pressure applies?

Like I said personally I wouldn't have used it my first time. I found it best to throw myself in, get it wrong 20 times and learn from my mistakes but that was my choice and every one learns differently.

I don't have a problem with this as I have no doubt a lot of players don't want to play career games but simply want to play with their favourite club all the way, even if they are not very good at the game. No it's not realistic of course but I personally think a lot of new players of the game would like this option.

You could also use this option to drive your favourite club down to the lowest-possible level and challenge yourself to bring them back to former glory.

Never in a million years! FM is not that type of game. Stick to FIFA Manager or something.

What a typically stupid response :rolleyes: As has been stated, this would be little more than an "easy" setting for newcomers, which has to be considered a good thing. If you don't want to use it and don't have to use it, then what's the big deal?

To be honest I don't think it's actually that useful for new players anyway. If you get to the stage where you get sacked, you squad morale and happiness are likely to be shot to the extent that even an experienced manager would find it difficult to turn around. A newer player would be better off looking at what mistakes they had made and then starting a new game and trying to avoid making those mistakes. That said, as long as it was optional and didn't require significant coding time to be diverted from other areas, I have no problem with it being in the game.

I agree with this, I think getting sacked is actually beneficial for new players it's better to learn from your mistakes.

What about a "Win." option?

That's an interesting response from someone who uses downloaded tactics. It's ok for you to 'cheat' but not for others?

The truth is, everybody plays their game how they see fit. It doesn't affect anybody else whatsoever, so no harm done. If I am doing a 'bring a lower league club up through the ranks' game I could possibly use the no sack option. Other than that I probably wouldn't bother. Either way it's no skin of anybody's nose.

I haven't heard too many stories about stupid sackings this year so I can only assume that if this option existed it would be to stop the sackings for people who really deserved it, for whatever reason.

We all know how difficult it is to pick up morale and formwhen things aren't going too well, how hard would it be to pick up a team after you've taken them beyond the point of getting sacked?

I know people say that it is a good idea for inexperienced players, but how would they go about recovering the club once they've gone beyond this point? Surely that would be a challenge that would test the most experienced of players? Would it need a 'recover morale and form' command as well, so after the 'sacking' things automatically pick up?

edit: just noticed a 'what bigdunk' said might have been better

I agree with this, I think getting sacked is actually beneficial for new players it's better to learn from your mistakes.

How does getting sacked teach you anything? Getting sacked doesn't teach you to increase mentality by 4 or not to make your goalkeeper's mentality 20. Losing matches teaches you something - being sacked by itself teaches you nothing.

The only time you learn something from being sacked is to not use the Ultimatum button.

I haven't heard too many stories about stupid sackings this year so I can only assume that if this option existed it would be to stop the sackings for people who really deserved it, for whatever reason.

We all know how difficult it is to pick up morale and formwhen things aren't going too well, how hard would it be to pick up a team after you've taken them beyond the point of getting sacked?

I know people say that it is a good idea for inexperienced players, but how would they go about recovering the club once they've gone beyond this point? Surely that would be a challenge that would test the most experienced of players? Would it need a 'recover morale and form' command as well, so after the 'sacking' things automatically pick up?

edit: just noticed a 'what bigdunk' said might have been better

Presumably if you're going to use this option you also save-and-reload, so the player is actively learning how to approach things (and how not to approach things). So while it is difficult to bring shattered players back up to scratch, it is not impossible.

How does getting sacked teach you anything? Getting sacked doesn't teach you to increase mentality by 4 or not to make your goalkeeper's mentality 20. Losing matches teaches you something - being sacked by itself teaches you nothing.

The only time you learn something from being sacked is to not use the Ultimatum button.

It teaches you that you did something wrong consistently over a period of time, therefore you try again and work out where you went wrong. Ever heard the expression "If at first you don't succeed? Try and try again."

Morale, form etc, aren't top of the list for new players though. What about tactics? Wouldn't the feature be good because it gives new gamers a chance to get used to a tactics module that isn't comparable to any other? Morale and form, and how you fix them can come later or with time, but the fundamentals like tactics and training, can cost you your job and it does take time to get used to FM's system.

Morale, form etc, aren't top of the list for new players though. What about tactics? Wouldn't the feature be good because it gives new gamers a chance to get used to a tactics module that isn't comparable to any other? Morale and form, and how you fix them can come later or with time, but the fundamentals like tactics and training, can cost you your job and it does take time to get used to FM's system.

But by going beyond the point of sacking, the new user could be playing the game in a more difficult environment than any of us have ever experienced. Testing tactics with a squad who have all lost confidence in you would be very hard work and far harder than starting a new game. I'd imagine this situation to be pretty demoralising for the new user.

It would really need a morale/happiness reset for it to be beneficial.

It's been requested before and it always gets shot down but I actually think it is something that may help new players who are probably a bit overwhelmed when they first play FM. I wouldn't mind seeing it, not that I'd use it.

Agreed. I couldn't be less interested in that feature, but I don't see how it would harm anyone if there was an option like this (or quite a few others which would not be realistic but provide for a bigger degree of customizability of the game).

:thup:

But by going beyond the point of sacking, the new user could be playing the game in a more difficult environment than any of us have ever experienced. Testing tactics with a squad who have all lost confidence in you would be very hard work and far harder than starting a new game. I'd imagine this situation to be pretty demoralising for the new user.

It would really need a morale/happiness reset for it to be beneficial.

But morale and happiness would be linked, heavily, to tactics, in the long run. Manage to crack your tactics and it's only a matter of time before morale and happiness will improve as results improve. Think of it as an aid for top teams, where more time and ability is available, but sacking is inevitable if you don't understand tactics. Being given time, even one season, with Man Utd at the bottom of the Prem, with the players ability and no chance of sacking, could do the world of good.

I really hope this is not included, i would prefer SI to spend there time making the game better so that there are no more strange sackings in the game.

I think they already have.

I was a victim of one with FM07 but I think things have improved a lot since then. There certainly doesn't feel like the same number of 'unfair sacking' threads with FM09 compared to previous versions. Doing a quick search it is quite hard to find too many instances of people complaining about getting sacked, which certainly wasn't the case with previous versions.

Someone will probably prove me wrong now.

But morale and happiness would be linked, heavily, to tactics, in the long run. Manage to crack your tactics and it's only a matter of time before morale and happiness will improve as results improve. Think of it as an aid for top teams, where more time and ability is available, but sacking is inevitable if you don't understand tactics. Being given time, even one season, with Man Utd at the bottom of the Prem, with the players ability and no chance of sacking, could do the world of good.

I think that with the level of morale and unhappiness that would come with a manager being 'sacked' even the best tacticians would struggle. I just don't think that this scenario is the best for a new user to learn the tactical side of the game, I think they would benefit far more from starting a new game.

I think that with the level of morale and unhappiness that would come with a manager being 'sacked' even the best tacticians would struggle. I just don't think that this scenario is the best for a new user to learn the tactical side of the game, I think they would benefit far more from starting a new game.

Starting a new game can cause tactical problems as well though. No chance of consistency, building on a tactic, instead you're starting all over again, waiting for a team to get used to the tactic before you even know if it's effective. 12 losses in a row later, you're staring at the "Adding Manager Shortlists" screen.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you have to look at it like this; which is more difficult to get to grips with, morale or tactics? Of course they are both linked, but the effect of morale on tactics isn't as strong as tactics on morale, imo.

Starting a new game can cause tactical problems as well though. No chance of consistency, building on a tactic, instead you're starting all over again, waiting for a team to get used to the tactic before you even know if it's effective. 12 losses in a row later, you're staring at the "Adding Manager Shortlists" screen.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you have to look at it like this; which is more difficult to get to grips with, morale or tactics? Of course they are both linked, but the effect of morale on tactics isn't as strong as tactics on morale, imo.

Good point, perhaps adding a new manager to the team they were sacked from would be the best option then? This would allow the consistency in the tactics and give them a 'reset' for the unhappiness towards the manager. It would certainly give a much better environment for developing tactics.

I think some of us getting a little hot under the collar here for no reason. Comparing an option like this to something like setting the price of the hotdogs is over the top in my opinion.

It's something that may well help an new user of the game to get into it, learn the basics over a few seasons and then when they next play they would feel better equipped and turn off the 'never get sacked' option.

After all, attribute masking is an option also. It's not realistic to know how good a player from the other side of the world is without scouting/ seeing him play. But it makes the game a bit easier for anyone that needs it.

I could see no harm in having a 'never get sacked' option

dafuge

Does it carry over? Genuine question. Dunno why, but I always assumed tactical knowledge for players kinda reset when a manager was sacked i.e. getting used to 4-5-1, get sacked, come back in and you're starting from scratch/players have to learn it all over again.

Even if you're not adding a new manager and just moving clubs as normal, if your preferred tactic is 4-5-1, would a team whose previous manager played 4-5-1 adapt to it quicker than a team whose previous manager played 4-4-2?

I wouldn't use it but i think if people want something, like this, that doesnt affect the core game or ruin it for the "hardcore" players then why not?

just dont use it if you dont want it in your game.

I don't see why people are so against not being sacked aslong as it is an option that can be toggled on and off. There are already options that change how realistic your game is in place such as being able to use your transfer budget in the first season, making it so you can see every players stats or using the database editor. Allowing the game to become easier so that people can come to terms with the game and ultimately learn from making mistakes is not a bad thing. It will allow to game to appeal to a lot more people. If you don't like it you don't have to to use it.

dafuge

Does it carry over? Genuine question. Dunno why, but I always assumed tactical knowledge for players kinda reset when a manager was sacked i.e. getting used to 4-5-1, get sacked, come back in and you're starting from scratch/players have to learn it all over again.

Even if you're not adding a new manager and just moving clubs as normal, if your preferred tactic is 4-5-1, would a team whose previous manager played 4-5-1 adapt to it quicker than a team whose previous manager played 4-4-2?

I would assume so since it makes sense, although I can't be sure.

Archived