what is "Free Role"

Your player will look to move into space when your team has the ball. It has been suggested that it is related with his accomplished positions, so that he'll be more likely to move into other positions where he is accomplished.

It does not give him complete freedom, for example, if you have a right winger with free role, he might drift into the AMC or ST positions, but you'll never see him on the left side.

He will still perform defensive duties, as per his closing down. However when your team loses possession he may not be in his original position, which may make your team more vulnerable to quick transitions.

Hope this helps...

Wayne Rooney

Cristiano Ronaldo

Lionel Messi

Players willing to drop deep, cut in and drift wide while keeping the same sort of position. So if you put Lionel Messi at AM L and a free role, he will move all over the place but you'll always get the impression he will stick to the AM L position "on average".

freerole = roam from position.

That's my understanding too (jeez Joor, I'm agreeing with a Milan fan!). I like it on my striking position, as I play with one up and makes them pull the centre backs about a bit. I look for good off the ball attributes too.

Archived