The board have decided......

I have just been promoted to Pl with Leeds after 3 seasons in the C'ship. We had 20 mill in the bank and had a few star players who were admittedly too good for us.

At the end of the season I did hope that I would keep hold of them with having 20 mill in the bank and getting promoted, but the board took the decision to accept a 17.5 mill bid for one and a 15.5 mill bid for another as the offers were too good to accept, which annoyed me massively.

I had one other star player left - a wonderkid (he turned in to that at the start of the PL season) - and having spent all my funds I got from the player sales on new signings I decided I didnt want to lose my wonderkid as I was getting bids left right and centre of big values and like before only had 20 mill in the bank so the boadr must have been dying to step in.

I have since set his 'asking price' at 1 mill, I am now getting bids of 1.5 mill etc which I can easily decline. Fantastic!

Does this happen a lot to other people and do you find it annoying? Do you try to stop it how I did with the wonderkid?

players i dont want the chairman selling i always set at 40 mill, its kind of a bug in the game i think

I used to do that but setting it so high makes the teams bid higher. Set at 40 mill I usually get bids of 17-18 mill for someone actually worth 5-6 mill.

The tactic of setting it so low has really worked! The board wil never accept 1.5 mill! Woohoo!

I used to do that but setting it so high makes the teams bid higher. Set at 40 mill I usually get bids of 17-18 mill for someone actually worth 5-6 mill.

The tactic of setting it so low has really worked! The board wil never accept 1.5 mill! Woohoo!

And that's a bad thing because?

I've had instances where an ambitious player ends up unhappy because you end up pricing clubs out of the market.

I also had a similar instance at Notts County when the Board stepped in to accept an offer of 700k for an amazing full back I had. I always ask for 25% sell on clauses for amazing players, but the Board didn't insist on that option. The player ended up being on-sold for 3.5million! Not only did they stuff up in accepting a lowly offer, they also lost out on 900k of sell-on clauses they should have requested.

The Board can suck sometimes.

Setting the players value low is a good idea, as the board prolly wont see the offer as "too good to accept" but if you set a high value, youre asking for trouble imo. youre better off either leaving it as "unspecified" or setting a low value.

I just set it at £100m. And I just negotiate the bids to ridiculous prices. Easy.

I think you are missing the point of my original post.

I don't want the players to leave, I don't want the board to accept any offers, that is the reason I set the value so low, so they cannot step in and accept it to boost the coffers.

So your point of it being easy doesn't really become relevant I am afraid. Of course it is easy to do what you said!

I don't see how it's a bug at all. Seems realistic to me.

Let's say Wolves were offer similar fees of £15m or so for two or their players this year when they were promoted? They'd be stupid to turn that down. You could buy at least 3 players keep the club in the PL for those sums of money.

It's inconvenient, sure, but it's not unrealistic or ridiculous.

players i dont want the chairman selling i always set at 40 mill, its kind of a bug in the game i think

Woah Leedsx3, it wasn't an attack on you man. I should of quoted the above in my original post.

Yes, the board can be full of pedants.

What a great idea for keeping hold of players. I have Wenger chasing my star defender who is worth 10mil, he's even managed to worm his way in to the players fave person list. I've set asking price to 45mil, if I get that I'd sell, because I'd surely get a decent replacement for that much.

Reading this thread I have to either set the AP to 100mil or back down to something like 15mil. My (Leeds) team are pretty rich (about 30mil in the bank with current TF of around 5mil) but not invincible to high bids.

Yes, the board can be full of pedants.

What a great idea for keeping hold of players. I have Wenger chasing my star defender who is worth 10mil, he's even managed to worm his way in to the players fave person list. I've set asking price to 45mil, if I get that I'd sell, because I'd surely get a decent replacement for that much.

Reading this thread I have to either set the AP to 100mil or back down to something like 15mil. My (Leeds) team are pretty rich (about 30mil in the bank with current TF of around 5mil) but not invincible to high bids.

I agree, if you get a bid which is very high then you can replace someone with a class player. But I think we all know even world class players can find it hard to blend in, they under perform cos of the style of play sometimes and they even wanna move to a bigger club after a season sometimes.

I have kept hold of the wonderkid I mentioned at the start. He is now worth 7 million and is 19 yrs old. I still don't want him to leave because leeds is his favourite club and he is happy playing for me, if I bought an expensive replacement that may not be the case. His asking price is still set at £1million and I regularly get offers of £1.4 - £1.7 million but no more. I can easily reject these at any time and the board do not step in because my bank balance is healthy at £15million! I hate it when the board steps in and accepts but this is clearly stopping them from doing so which is great!

It also means I can sign any other expensive players without worrying about the bank balance and lower offers being accepted because they will never accept £1.5 million, unless we go bankrupt!

Doesn't surprise me that you dont see the problem. You have clearly missed the point entirely, try reading the whole thread first :D

Hmmm... I think you're missing the sarcasm. :D

I was pointing out that you claimed the board felt the offers were 'too good to accept' instead of 'too good to refuse' which, I think, is what you should have wrote ;)

I wonder if a potential problem with this low-asking-price trick might be the unintended consequences of receiving so many offers (and the praise that often goes with them) that the player could end up unsettled. It seems to me if you have a star player set at 1.5 millions asking price, you're going to be flooded with dozens and dozens of offers, even if the player's weekly salary is high.

I know I see a lot of players get the "flattered by so much interest" note on them, so I wonder if getting a transfer offer from every club in Europe might inflate someone's head to the point where they insist on being listed. Interesting to see how the experiment goes over time...

I wonder if a potential problem with this low-asking-price trick might be the unintended consequences of receiving so many offers (and the praise that often goes with them) that the player could end up unsettled. It seems to me if you have a star player set at 1.5 millions asking price, you're going to be flooded with dozens and dozens of offers, even if the player's weekly salary is high.

I know I see a lot of players get the "flattered by so much interest" note on them, so I wonder if getting a transfer offer from every club in Europe might inflate someone's head to the point where they insist on being listed. Interesting to see how the experiment goes over time...

You could be right but I received loads of offers even when he was priced normally, I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of offers received at all. He is perfectly happy too which is good!

• 2 weeks later...

If you start setting fees low isnt there a huge chance the player will get unhappy because then you would have to reject the offer? instead of putting the value really high and the club possibly pulling out because they think the price is way too high to pay for the player

If you start setting fees low isnt there a huge chance the player will get unhappy because then you would have to reject the offer? instead of putting the value really high and the club possibly pulling out because they think the price is way too high to pay for the player

The player isn't getting unhappy because my team are listed as one of his favourites and he is enjoying playing for us.

For the record he is still with me, now worth £29 million. I stil get bids of £1.2mill - £1.4mill which are easily rejected, but the bids get no higher.

I had two players who were class sold from under my feet upon promotion to the PL. They have gone on to be world class midlfielders which is annoying, I wasn't losing another one to this method so if the board allow me to set transfer values, which they do, I will. Hardly cheating/getting around it, saying I am in charge this is how much I value him at then rejecting it because I wanna keep the player ;)

While I won't argue over whether the players should have been sold or not, setting a tiny value to avoid the chairman stepping in is definitely circumventing this feature, unless you are planning on accepting one of those tiny bids.

It is a bit like the corner tactic, it isn't really cheating but it is taking advantage of the AI not dealing with the situation very well. The AI should really be putting in increasing bids until the chairman steps in, I know I do that every now and again when trying to sign players.

It is just one of those things some people do and some people don't. It isn't cheating but I wouldn't ever do it, although I may be in a minority here.

Now having to fend off interest from Chelsea on a Goalkeeper I bought from Flamengo for £70k. Got offered £12million for him after just one season of having him (he was loaned out for two seasons to Maldegem to get WP).

On the plus side I am now 4th in the PL with 9 games left so keeping all those stars is working!

I'm looking hard enough as it is!

Getting an 18 yr GK old from Brazil for £70k who I am now getting bids of £12mill for!

Buying an expensive player doesn't mean they will perform well for you. I could do a list of expensive signings who have gone wrong for me that's as long as my arm.

I tend to only buy cheapo's no matter how much money I have. Wenger like!

Archived