How Far back do you go???

Just curious as to how far back everyone goes with regards football manager/championship manager. And how many different incarnations you have owned.

My hit list is as follows:

Championship Manager 93 (this was on a disk with striker and a couple of other football games under the title world cup 94 games. This was brought by mother as the first ever game for my first ever pc, she knew nothing beyond the fact I like football, she made a great decision) I was 9 years old.

CM2

CM2 Italy

CM2 Spain

CM 96/97

CM 97/98

CM3

CM 99/00

CM 00/01

CM 01/02

CM4

CM 03/04

FM 2005

FM 2006

FM 2007

FM 2008

FM 2009

15 years!!

That mad

If you say on average I would play an hour or two each day on the game (some much more, but some not at all) I have played it for 450 days of my life.

That is stupid..

But entertaining

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the way back to the very first championship manager on the Amiga and I've bought every version since then, only version I could never get into was CM3 (I think) due to compatibility issues surrounding the processor I had at the time seem to remember there was a problem with the AMD processors and some setup. Apart from that many, many hours playing the game.

Incarnations owned:

CM3

CM 01/02 (2 copies) (disc blew up due to overuse) :D

CM4

CM03/04 (2 copies) (disc blew up due to overuse) :D

CM5

FM2005

FM2006

FM2008 (disc went missing about 4 months ago, still keep the box and all incase it turns up)

FM2009

Don't know why I didn't get FM2007, guess it was because I was still playing and still do play CM01/02.

Started on 97/98, went up to 01/02 or CM4, whatever is the most recent, then actually got out of football for a few years because I was getting heavily into biketrials so I didn't really follow it. Then a blinding flash of genius made me remember FM in 2007 and I bought 07 and have done ever since.

started on cm 00/01 played to to death

then onto the legendary and best 01/02

never bought cm4, looked and was crap from what i remember

loved 03/04, still do

bought and played every fm from 2005 - 2009, love them all

(only got the game after a good mate of mine was constantly playing it back in the day, telling me how much i would love it, as i love football)

way way back in 97/98 i think

Which was the last game to have with/without ball positions on??

I remember you could set it so two players were always in the same positions and this caused the main tactics screen one player appear underneath another. This completely cracked the match AI, and if you did it with the two front players one would score shed loads. My record was Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank who scored 79 goals in a season.

Started on 97/98, went up to 01/02 or CM4, whatever is the most recent, then actually got out of football for a few years because I was getting heavily into biketrials so I didn't really follow it. Then a blinding flash of genius made me remember FM in 2007 and I bought 07 and have done ever since.

Very silly....

I started on CM97/98, bought every version since and been pretty much addicted, with maybe the odd week off!! Excellent game, a wonderful way to waste time!

Only since WWSM 2008. I have only really been following football (mostly Barclays, a little Italian, and only some MLS) since 2007. I ran across WWSM 08 on Amazon by accident and it was on from there. I'm not very good at it as I am new to following football but I have to say that the game has greatly enhanced both my knowledge of the game and the enjoyment of it. Thanks SI.

Oh, and I prefer 2d classic. :)

CM 97/98 was my first and have bought every single version on release date ever since, so thats 12 years! I remember Ibrahima Bakayoko on 97/98, he would score shed loads of goals for me, and when Everton bought him irl I thought he would do the same for them, in the end he turned out to be kak!

I also had USM 98, used to love bribing and the matching fixing in it :D

Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum, 1982 I think. Written entirely in Basic by Kevin Toms.

Things have moved on a bit since then. My hair line, for one.

Ditto - on the Acorn Electron. I used to edit the code as well, change things a little here and there for my own preferences and use. Player names, for example, were easy.

Alas, that was the pinnacle of my coding abilities :D

Owned every CM (pre-split) and FM, bar CM Spain (and did they do a Germany one too?)

CM2 Italy for the Amiga!! :)

Ended up in a long career with Bologna - with awfully contrasting blue and red, I could barely read what was going on in the games for the clashing text colour!! Good times though with Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta etc..

LOVE IT!

CM 00/01

CM 03/04 (blew up due to overuse and damaged my cd player.. had to change my PC :| )

CM4 (didn't like it.. bought it after my CM 03/04 )

FM 2005 (never knew there were patches)

FM 2006 (never knew there were patches)

FM 2007 (didn't like it since without the patches there were too many bugs and continued playing 2006 untill FM 2008)

FM 2008 (played Pisa in the italian leagues till won CL in 2025)

FM 2009 (network with my friends)

For me it's been ever since CM1 way way back in the start.

To bore you I bought it by per chance as well. I'd travelled to Swansea (50 miles from my then home) by train and was in an Electronic Boutique store and before going to get my train as we were almost late found this game Championship Manager, I'd not even heard of it which was unusual as at the time I owned lots of football managment games and thought this looks ok and bought it. I've never looked back since.

As for what ones have I owned - All of them right up to FML.

It was 1993, I suppose. I was just a kid...

I remember very well the two world class players:

Ferrah Orosco , Mark Collis(?) at Cambridge Utd in Division 3!!!

And in CM2, my fantastic transfer, Iain Durrant was making around 30 - 35 assists per year in my Blackburn team. :)

God, the game progressed a lot. :D

Definitely every CM until the break up from EIDOS, then every FM since. Basically every single SI game.

I'm sure that if I hadn't been five when the first FM incarnation came around I would have played that as well! :D

P

my first CM game was 99/00, but it was 00/01 that made me an addict. I used to play Premier Manager and Player Manager on the SNES/Mega Drive and thought they were awesome. Especially the "3d" engine in Player Manager!!

I still have at home:

CM2 - downloaded

CM 99/00

CM 00/01

CM3

CM 03/04

CM4 - I think, I might have binned it due to carpness

FM2007

FM2008

FM2009

I stayed playing 03/04 for years until FM07, I did try a couple of CM games in between but they only lasted a day or 2 before being returned to the shop and back to 03/04 I went. I still have about 4 saves I go back to every now and then, especially one of my favourite saves, a game with Ebbw Vale in Wales.

Here's my story:

Started with FIFA Manager 2006, and loved it. Got FIFAM 2008 and then 2009, but got tired of FIFAM 2009 because it was entirely too easy and not realistic. I had downloaded FM09 off of Steam in December or January, but found it too hard so gave up. Then about a month or so ago after FIFAM just got too dull i gave FM another whirl and now I love it more than I loved FIFAM!

Therefore, I'm a bit of a noob and only have 2009.

God I remember that one - my mate had a 30+ season game on that.

Blimey. I remember that one too. I seem to remember you start with Phil Parkes in goal. I think my Dad sold him, and you end up playing with no keeper as there was no reserve - now there is a bug that would have the Bugs forum buzzing with angry posts.

My hairline has sadly moved on a lot too!!!

Archived