Chivas Guadalajara- Mexican Players ONLY

So, just to see if it was like real life, I started a game as Chivas just to see if they can sign non-Mexican players. They can. This is a problem, because Chivas are the only team in Mexico who have a policy of signing ONLY players of Mexican nationality. Athletic Club Bilbao are programmed in the game to only be able to sign Basque players, so why can Chivas sign non-Mexicans? Will this be changed for FM 2010?

So, just to see if it was like real life, I started a game as Chivas just to see if they can sign non-Mexican players. They can. This is a problem, because Chivas are the only team in Mexico who have a policy of signing ONLY players of Mexican nationality. Athletic Club Bilbao are programmed in the game to only be able to sign Basque players, so why can Chivas sign non-Mexicans? Will this be changed for FM 2010?

When I managed Chivas on FM08 they were definitely not allowed to sign non-Mexicans, so I'm not sure why this would have been changed. What nationality players were you able to sign - maybe they had Mexican as a 2nd nationality.

When I managed Chivas on FM08 they were definitely not allowed to sign non-Mexicans, so I'm not sure why this would have been changed. What nationality players were you able to sign - maybe they had Mexican as a 2nd nationality.

I tested it by trying to sign an Argentinian player who had Italian as his second nationality- can't remember the name.

I tested it by trying to sign an Argentinian player who had Italian as his second nationality- can't remember the name.

Did you actually try and complete the transfer or just make a bid? I may be wrong as it was over a year ago, but I think if they're not Mexican the transfer will be blocked after they agree a contract.

While its true that Chivas Guadalajara present themselves as a 'Mexican' (by birth) only team, that has been in dispute in recent years. Since you're a fan of the team, surely you've seen the news about 'Gringo' Padilla, Chivas youth product who was born and raised in California. Initially the club tried to pretend he was born in Mexico, as this article indicates 'Gringo' in Chivas' midst, but recently the club has been more open about the fact that he is indeed American. Obviously he has family ties to Mexico, so he was able to obtain Mexican nationality as well, but previously this would not have been acceptable for Chivas' policy (or is it just a marketing image:)).

Now that Padilla is a developed pro, he's been sent north to Chivas USA - thus helping get his name out of the controversy somewhat.

Furthermore, Chivas Guadalajara has signed several other US born players recently, including a couple that have played for the US youth national teams (Boys' soccer: ECR standout turns pro). Obviously they've changed their policy somewhat, even if they dont mention openly to their adoring fans in Mexico.

From a game perspective - in the past it should have been coded that only players born in Mexico could be signed, now it seems anyone with a Mexican nationality is eligible. However, I'd be surprised if Chivas would keep a player who was playing for another national team. If Ledezma (a US U18 national player) continued up the chain to the full US team, I'm sure they would ship him north to Chivas USA too.

Bilbao aren't the only Basque-only club. Barakaldo as well (think they're still D2B), maybe others. Didn't know there were any other 'locals only' policies. If he's an existing player maybe he has eligibility for multiple 'secondary' nationalities, though I doubt that would be put into the game.

• 11 months later...

By the way, I am fairly sure that with Athletic Bilbao you can sign ANY (perhaps Spanish only?) youth player. ie. Any player that is 15 or 16 years old or so. So if you can get them early, it solves a lot of problems about having to sign them older or rely on your own academy.

With that in mind, perhaps something similar applies to Chivas? It may be worth trying to sign some really young players of 14/15/16 of any nationality and seeing if you can get them, if you intend to play with them.

I'm currently playing as Chivas and can confirm that the club will only allow you to bid on players who have Mexican as first or second nationality.

Board takeovers do not affect this either as the club has been bought out by an overseas chairman and the Mexican rule still stands.

By the way, I am fairly sure that with Athletic Bilbao you can sign ANY (perhaps Spanish only?) youth player. ie. Any player that is 15 or 16 years old or so. So if you can get them early, it solves a lot of problems about having to sign them older or rely on your own academy.

With that in mind, perhaps something similar applies to Chivas? It may be worth trying to sign some really young players of 14/15/16 of any nationality and seeing if you can get them, if you intend to play with them.

This should be the case, as you can "Basque-ify" these youngsters.

In reality Athletic only sign youngsters schooled in Basque County, but since FM doesn't generate youngsters that young I suppose the ability to sign youth compensates for it.

Archived