Player Descriptions

I've always been intrigued as to what attributes give rise to the player descriptions, such as 'tenacious midfielder' and 'commanding centre-back'

Below is my best attempt at a list of these descriptions, missing out the obvious 'young', 'experienced', 'veteran' and 'journeyman'. All these seem to be purely age related, as does 'promising'. I was wondering if anyone cared to help find out which attributes contribute to them? Any I forgot?

Edit: Also would be interesting to see if preferred moves have an effect on the description.

Goalkeepers:

Legendary Goalkeeper

World Class Goalkeeper

Commanding Goalkeeper?

Defenders:

World Class Centre-back

Commanding Centre-back

Decisive Centre-back

Solid Centre-back

Enthusiastic Centre-back (see enthusiastic midfielder)

Strong Centre-back

Towering Centre-back

Strong Full-back

Enthusiastic Full-back (see enthusiastic midfielder)

Decisive Full-back

Explosive Full-back (requires acceleration and pace of 18)

Attacking Full-back

Midfielders:

Midfield General (only ever seen this once, with Lucho Gonzalez)

Flamboyant Midfielder

Cultured Midfielder

Enthusiastic Midfielder (I don't think this is affected exclusively by age, but I could be wrong)

Tenacious Midfielder

Tireless Midfielder

Industrious Midfielder

World Class Midfielder

Legendary Midfielder

Midfield Playmaker

Wingers:

Flamboyant Winger

Cultured Winger

Enthusiastic Winger (see enthusiastic midfielder)

Explosive Winger (again, acceleration and pace of 18)

Forwards/Strikers:

Cultured Striker

Flamboyant Striker

Powerful Striker

Explosive Striker (see explosive winger)

Clinical Striker (haven't seen this one very often at all)

Towering Striker

Playmaker Forward

Indostrious midfielder: Mark van Bommel ahd Steven Gerrard sometimes.

But I must say I am pleased that someone made this thread as I was always interested in players descriptions. I hope guys from forums know something more about this than us...

EDIT: In my game Klaas Jan Huntelaar is always clinical striker.

I've always been intrigued as to what attributes give rise to the player descriptions, such as 'tenacious midfielder' and 'commanding centre-back'

Below is my best attempt at a list of these descriptions, missing out the obvious 'young', 'experienced', 'veteran' and 'journeyman'. I was wondering if anyone cared to help find out which attributes contribute to them? Any I forgot?

Goalkeepers:

Legendary Goalkeeper - Reputation connected?

World Class Goalkeeper - Same as above

Commanding Goalkeeper? - high command of area/influence stat?

Defenders:

World Class Centre-back - Reputation connected?

Commanding Centre-back - High influence?

Strong Centre-back - High strength stat?

Towering Centre-back - Tall player?

Strong Full-back - High strength?

Explosive Full-back (requires acceleration and pace of 18)

Attacking Full-back - Good crossing?

Midfielders:

Midfield General (only ever seen this once, with Lucho Gonzalez)

Flamboyant Midfielder - High flair?

Cultured Midfielder - High creativity?

Enthusiastic Midfielder (I don't think this is affected exclusively by age, but I could be wrong)

Tenacious Midfielder - High Bravery?

Tireless Midfielder - High work rate and determination?

World Class Midfielder - Reputation connected?

Legendary Midfielder - as above

Midfield Playmaker - high passing and decisions?

Wingers:

Flamboyant Winger -high flair?

Explosive Winger (again, acceleration and pace of 18)

Forwards/Strikers:

Cultured Striker - High creativity

Flamboyant Striker - same as flamboyant winger

Powerful Striker - High strength?

Explosive Striker (see explosive winger)

Clinical Striker (haven't seen this one very often at all) - high finishing stat?

Towering Striker - Tall Striker/maybe linked with heading/jumping?

Playmaker Forward - High passing and decisions?

Those would be my guesses but I'm not 100% sure

Indostrious midfielder: Mark van Bommel ahd Steven Gerrard sometimes.

But I must say I am pleased that someone made this thread as I was always interested in players descriptions. I hope guys from forums know something more about this than us...

EDIT: In my game Klaas Jan Huntelaar is always clinical striker.

I don't know if this varies to one striker to another but I had this regen who was a "clinical striker" with great attributes and for some reason he always tried to put the ball on one of the angles. Bought him for £31 and had to sell him for £25 because he missed 9/10 chances.

Does it have anything to do with it?

A lot of good younger players get "promising" in front of a general description.

I can also add the following to the list:

Enthusiastic full-back

Enthusiastic centre-back

Enthusiastic winger

Solid centre-back

Cultured winger

The World Class players for each position i presume are for players with a CA of 170 of above or something like that. Midfield General would be someone with a high stamina/natural fitness. Im sure explosvie winger/full back/striker is more than just about pace tbh. In his early days Michael Owen would be classed as an 'explosive striker' but he didnt necessarily have pace of over 18 if you catch my drift but im not totally sure.

I dont understand how a player gets Legendary status though, in My game both Akinfeev and Messi are classed as legendary, (maybe Aguero) yet steven Taylor isn't, and i think when you put his achievements into context on my game he qualifies for it - captained to 2 world cups and 2 confed cups, and captained to 7 prem victories, 2 champs league, Fa and league cup. And European defender of the year?

Im sure that would qualify a player for legendary status, but i dont think ive ever seen a legendary defender (with the exception of the srna point made above?).

I think powerful strikers are generally tall, strong and fast

• 4 months later...

Found another one: "rangy striker"

This is reserved for very tall players obviously, in this particular case Lacina Traore, who is towering at 2.03 metres. The rangy attribute probably exists for other positions as well, maybe they gotta be taller than 2 metres ?

• 5 years later...
Anyone find out what "Industrious midfielder" represents?

High work rate?

Looking at my Man Utd team in the second season:

De Gea - Goalkeeper

Di Maria - Flamboyant Winger

Fellaini - Tenancious Midfielder

Herrera / Mata - Flamboyant Midfielder (High flair?)

Januzaj - Wonderkid

Jones - Commanding Centre-back

Rojo - Strong Centre-back

Blind - Tireless Defensive Midfielder

Carrick - Experienced Midfielder (Age 33 - 2nd season)

Falcao - Clinical Striker

Van Persie - Legendary Striker (Started around the time he hit 31 and a bit)

Rooney - Cultured Striker

32 year old Cristiano Ronaldo is a legendary winger in my Arsenal save. Wojciech Szczesny is a commanding goalkeeper. Javi Manquillo is just a full-back with no modifier, as are Jose Luis Gaya and Kieran Gibbs. Lucas Silva is just a defensive midfielder. Alex Oxlade Chamberlain is just a winger. Wilshere is a flamboyant midfielder. Danny Welbeck is just a striker. Draxler is a flamboyant winger. Interestingly, Alexis Sanchez is also just a winger, despite his work rate of 18, so something else has to be tied to the industrious modifier as well. Balanta is a commanding center back. Lucas Romero is a tireless defensive midfielder.

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I've done some research on my own (on FM 2008) using a real-time editor in order to test my theory and...it is all related to attributes, age, height, reputation, CA/PA and other things.

For example (just a few):

A Clinical Striker will have FINISHING =>18, LONG SHOTS =>15 and DECISIONS =>15.

A Flamboyant player (Strikers, Wingers and Midfielders) will have DRIBBLING =>15, PASSING =>15, TECHNIQUE =>15 and FLAIR =>15.

An Enthusiastic player (Striker, Winger, Midfielder, Center-Back, Full-Back, Goalkeeper) will have AGE <=22yo, TEAMWORK =>15 and WORK RATE =>15.

A Midfield General (such as Lee Cattermole in FM2008) will have PASSING =>15, TACKLING =>15, TECHNIQUE =>15, DETERMINATION =>15, INFLUENCE =>15 and STRENGTH =>15.

A Towering Center-Back/Striker will have HEIGHT => 1.88m and HEADING =>18.

A Solid Center-Back/Full-Back will have HEADING =>15, TACKLING =>15, PACE =>15 and STRENGTH =>18.

A Commanding Center-Back/Full-Back will have HEADING =>15, TACKLING =>15, DETERMINATION =>15, INFLUENCE =>15 and STRENGTH =>15.

A Wonderkid will have AGE <=20yo, REPUTATION = National or Continental (this seems to have a more complicated algorithm including League Standard value, Economic Factor value, club reputation, etc.), CA and PA =>145.

A World-Class player will have AGE =>21yo, REPUTATION = Worldwide, CA and PA =>175 and a total sum of all the essential position attributes + rest of attributes => 400-450. (I still need to perform some testing on the attributes part).

A Legendary player will have to be a World-Class player, with the only difference been the AGE, which needs to be =>30yo.

*Keep in mind that some of them are also depending on the natural position of the player (or the player having two natural positions).

*Again, this research was made using FM 2008, so things might have changed with the latest releases of Football Manager (different algorithms).

*Not sure if people are still interested in this, so I apologize in advance to an almost 'ancient' post. xD