Touted, labeled, dubbed as the next...

What is it with players "touted, labeled, dubbed as the next..." I have a couple of regens dubbed the next Owen Hargreaves, I've seen one guy dubbed the next Mark Hughes who has since lost that tag.

The question is how does the game game decide on these labels? On my game I'm 6 years in and these are the only examples of media labels I've seen... yet so other games seem to get hundreds of them. Can anyone think how I might 'trick' my game into applying more labels and have SI ever stated how this stuff is all worked out by the game?

What is it with players "touted, labeled, dubbed as the next..." I have a couple of regens dubbed the next Owen Hargreaves, I've seen one guy dubbed the next Mark Hughes who has since lost that tag.

The question is how does the game game decide on these labels? On my game I'm 6 years in and these are the only examples of media labels I've seen... yet so other games seem to get hundreds of them. Can anyone think how I might 'trick' my game into applying more labels and have SI ever stated how this stuff is all worked out by the game?

I'm guessing there's a template of attributes for each "legend" and if a player matches up to this, they get the label. Only a theory, though.

Being dubbed the next Owen Hargreaves... man what a curse to put on someone :p

I think maybe it picks up on the players strongest points and compares that to a player in your first team. If they have massive potential then instead of your squad it will pick national heroes. This is all just a shot in the dark by me though.

I'm guessing there's a template of attributes for each "legend" and if a player matches up to this, they get the label. Only a theory, though.
Being dubbed the next Owen Hargreaves... man what a curse to put on someone :p

I think maybe it picks up on the players strongest points and compares that to a player in your first team. If they have massive potential then instead of your squad it will pick national heroes. This is all just a shot in the dark by me though.

I'd say that's probably right. A young English striker with great pace and decent finishing might be 'dubbed the next Michael Owen' if he still has plenty of potential. Stephen Taylor of Newcastle is 'the next Rio Ferdinand', perhaps due to his pace, height and good technique for a CB.

OP - great user name :D

I'm glad the name raised a laugh, thanks.

I think the person to ask about a regen player ever being touted as the next 'regen legend' would be Eugene Tyson in the year 2082 - I've got a regen who is a "similar type of player to" another regen and I'm only in 2016.

Basically I love this aspect of the game, it linking your regens to players from history but I'd love to know how it works as I never seem to get more than about three of these labels in a game.

I think I remember reading that the media labels are more to do with a players CA rather than PA, so they don't always indicate a future star. Some of them may just be players who have developed quickly but will never amount to anything.

That's the way it should be I think, would make it a lot less special if everyone was the next something or other, might lead to plenty of disappointment anyway as there's no guarantee they will turn out that good anyway. There are plenty of nice little touches in the game that a casual user would miss (saying that I'm sure there's plenty of serious users lumped in there too that don't notice absolutely everything), but that's the price they pay for not digging a little deeper I guess. They'll discover it sooner or later though, and it's always a nice thing discovering these things, especially when a new game comes out and SI don't tell you absolutely everything that's been added.

I guess I agree with that, it would be silly if every player from every country had a media comparison attached to them. It would be like reading the newspaper. It's just a bit silly that all my English midfields or strikers seem to be the next Owen Hargreaves or Michael Owen respectively... and I wanted to find the list, there must be one in a file in the sub directory somewhere - a list of all the media comparisons and how the game is programed to make them.

Archived