How many of you have a GK on the bench?

Pretty simple question really, in all my seasons so far on FM09 (about 15) I have never seen a GK either go off injured or get red-carded. Because of that I don't bother wasting a place on the bench for my sub 'keeper. How many of you have a sub 'just in case' or do you just take a risk?

i never put a sub keep on my bench i went through 8 seasons with man u never ever needed a sub keeper and the other ones were i have did a season or two never needed sub then so just use it with a player usal got a big squad aswell so helps if i dont have a sub keeper

Always.

FM08 saw me get Scotland to the World Cup (!), I took 3 keepers. Craig Gordon got injured during a match, McGregor got injured in training after the Gordon injury match and the other keeper got a straight red after taking down a player. Had to put Simon Ferry in goals, needless to say, I got thumped :(

Not me. If I can have 5 subs I go for a versatile defender, a midfielder for each position (1 centre, 1 left, 1 right) and 1 striker. If I can have 7 subs, it's exactly the same, except for having 3 defenders on the bench rather than 1 (1 centre, 1 left, 1 right).

Always had a GK on the bench. But I always make sure I have 1 GK, 1 Def, 1 Attack Mid, 1 Def Mid and 1 Attacker and then chose from two others. If you cannot make room for the GK then you need to sort your squad out. It will be sods law that if I did not have a GK on the bench i will get an early injury or sending off in an important game so it is not worth the risk. I have had my GK injured maybe twice in 12 seasons so far on my FM2009 Super League game.

Always do, unless one's injured or afterwards when sometimes I forget to reorganize the bench to get a proper balance among subs. Admitedly hardly anything happens to GKs but when it does it can all fall apart. On a similar thread a while ago someone said he didn't bother because it would only cost you a few points max but that can make quite a difference in some situations. Plus I sometimes sub GK's who are playing poorly which is another reason to keep one on the bench.

Always have a goalie in the bench, and always will. Its rare to lose you;re keeper, but it happens.

I always have 1 GK, 2 Defenders, 2 Midfielders and 2 strikers (1 good backup and one kid who will be good in the future)

When playing games where 5 subs are permitted I never do. Instead I opt for one defender, three midfielders and a striker. However, I do if I'm permitted to name 7 subs (also add in an extra defender usually).

That said, in my current save of FM09 I have been playing for six seasons and have never had a need to replace a goalkeeper (and indeed I've had the same number 1 for that entire save).

My sub keeper has long filled the SB1 slot for as long as I've been playing CM/FM, but this year in my current Aberdeen save I noticed just how much I never need one, so he's been moved to SB7 where he'll still be on the bench for league games but for the cups I need all the outfielders I can get and they only permit 5 subs so I don't bother. It's really not worth taking the risk of losing a game in the league because I don't have one on the bench though.

I use one if I'm playing a league with 7 subs.

If I'm restricted to five, I use:

1 DC

1 DR/L

1 DM/MC/AMC

1 MR/L, AMR/L

1 ST

If I have seven I'll add a goalie and a midfileder (DM or AM depending on my tactic).

Never when I have only 5 subs, when you have one injured keeper in a match every 20 seasons or so I'll gladly take this miniscule risk in favour of having field options on the bench.

With 7 subs I usually have a gk on the bench.

Archived