Ridiculous Team Talks

SI need to address this issue straight away in the fact that Team Talks have way too much power in the game. The reason that has brought this rant on is that i (Sporting CP) was playing Wolfsburg in the Champions League group stage. I was completely dominating the game and at half time i was 3-0 up with 12 shots to their two. I decided to say nothing to my players at half time as i knew that if i had said 'pleased' they would have disintegrated in the second half. Anyway i was shocked when the final whistle blew and i had lost the game 5-3. I hadn't managed any shots in the 2nd half and they had conjured up 18. To add insult to injury after the game my mailbox was full of 'Zaccardo praises teamtalk' and 'Tactical masterclass from Wolfsburg manager'. It's a joke tbh.

Its a bit of a pointless thread i know and im sorry for that but i had to air my views.

SI need to address this issue straight away in the fact that Team Talks have way too much power in the game. The reason that has brought this rant on is that i (Sporting CP) was playing Wolfsburg in the Champions League group stage. I was completely dominating the game and at half time i was 3-0 up with 12 shots to their two. I decided to say nothing to my players at half time as i knew that if i had said 'pleased' they would have disintegrated in the second half. Anyway i was shocked when the final whistle blew and i had lost the game 5-3. I hadn't managed any shots in the 2nd half and they had conjured up 18. To add insult to injury after the game my mailbox was full of 'Zaccardo praises teamtalk' and 'Tactical masterclass from Wolfsburg manager'. It's a joke tbh.

Its a bit of a pointless thread i know and im sorry for that but i had to air my views.

I understand what your saying mate..i would love to say pleased to my team after dominating the first half but if i do this im 99% sure that i will lose the game so yes the teamtalks has to be adresses

I agree. Media related morale is stupid. If, for example, I (as manager of Man Utd) say one bad word against any of my rival managers, Benitez being a prime example, my long serving club captain Gary Neville goes in a mood with me and his morale drops. STUPID!!!

Also if i try my own mind games, (like towards the end of the season i will often praise the teams manager that my rivals are due to play), does a few of my main 1st team players go in one with me? They dont think i should be praising other teams managers!! STUPID!!!

Do they NOT know how the football works? :confused:

i never mess with team talks, in friendly matches i always chose the "no pressure" option and in the other games its the "play for the supporters" option (sorry if thats not the actual sentences but i play with the portuguese language)

Edit: right, i forgot about half time, if im winning i say that im pleased but that always seems to take away the team's motivation

You didn't necessarily just lose because of the team talk though - Wolfsburg's tactics probably changed as well as the team talk raising their motivation and your players becoming complacent, with some of them maybe having low concentration.

The game just like to focus on teamtalks because so do real life papers.

And you're complaining because you suffered a complete reverse in one game? Has this been happening to you every week, or are you just whining because you were on the end of a shock result, the like of which happen IRL every now and then:

Tottenham vs Man Utd last season was from 2-0 down, but the score could have gone comfortably past 5-2.

Obviously there was the Liverpool Champion's League Final where they were completely dominated before coming back.

The Tottenham vs Man City FA Cup game from a few years back, from 3-0 to 4-3.

There are others also - if you watch more than the champion's league and the premiership (that's all I watch) then you can probably think of them straight out, and if you google "comebacks" then you'll probably get yet more improbable ones.

Maybe you are having trouble every week, in which case fair enough - complain away. But too many people come on here and whine about every freak result - they do happen IRL also.

And FWIW telling your players that you are pleased at 3-0 up, if they are professional, boosts their confidence. "Pleased" is only a killer when you use it for an expected result ( 1-0/2-0 up against an inferior team). If you just ignore players who have been fantastic, they generally get angered and confused, in my experience.

If the team as a whole are playing well, and their ratings deserve it, i also give them positive feedback at half time with a few individual pep talks if certain players need it ("faith in your ability" etc.)

I've noticed that team talks have a much more chaotic and erratic effect on squads that aren't quite settled. Once your squad are used to each other and you, and how you treat them, your team talks shouldn't cause such drastic problems.

...to say nothing 3-0 up. I think that was the problem.

gunner4eva

If you think it's an issue then upload a pkm of the match. There was a fairly big thread about this a while back and some SI folks requested pkms. Nobody responded so how can they possibly make a judgement without evidence? Just to show how useless anecdotal evidence is, everyone here is saying you used nothing and that was your downfall. I use nothing fairly regularly when leading by 2+ goals and getting turned over in the second half is the exception rather than the rule. Too many variables to put it down to just a specific teamtalk.

The thing I hate about being two goals up is being pleased with the performance and not wanting your players to let up seem to be mutually exclusive.

Hence you get a situation where your players are either getting complacent or annoyed that you're not giving them due credit.

Saying nothing is totally wrong in that instance in my opinion. If you were 3-0 up at halftime to a lower league side, then perhaps you'd have nothing much to say about it, but in the Champions League groups to a reasonable team like Wolfsburg pleased would probably have been the better option. The teamtalks are all about looking at the prematch odds and also how high the reputation of the other side is, then taking that into account should decide what you should say at halftime.

You do however have a good point in there, it is all too easy to get pounded in the 2nd half if you choose the wrong teamtalk and it's to such an extent I think it's over the top. It seems harder now more than ever to have 90mins of domination over a side, regardless of how strong they are. This is where someone will probably come into the conversation and say change your tactics second half and start hitting them on the counter or something like that if you want to increase your lead in the second half all the time, but come on, is that really realistic? If a manager is sitting comfortably 3-0 up at half time would he change anything at all? I very much doubt it and this is the problem I have with the teamtalks on FM09.

How the opposition typically come out and play in the 2nd half almost all of the time it seems clear that they've been given "I want to see more from you" or "wheres the passion lads" and it has far too strong an effect that they somehow dominate you instead. How do I know this? I've used it against teams to my advantage so often without changing my tactics at all that it seems glaringly obvious to me. A lot of the time it seems better in FM09 to enter halftime behind against a big team rather comfortably than in the lead, because that will inevitably end up with them running riot over you in the 2nd half.

I understand some of the frustrations in here, certainly, because the team talks do not seem to be particularly intuitive in this version of FM.

However, I don't know if any of you have seen this post from WWFan. He explains what the different options are actually supposed to mean in his view. I found it slightly less frustrating when following his descriptions.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards,

C.

I don't like the team talks work at the moment, whatever I say %95 of the time it says "did not seem to be listening" I rather not say anything but then it feels like I'm missing something.

What if they change it so that so say something to a player and if they have any reaction they do it right away. I dont think a real manager needs assistant post match feedback to understand the reaction of players towards his speech, they are face to face in first place. If I say to my striker I'm disappointed after his 6.0 first half rating, I should be immediately notified whether he agrees and raises his head or gets more aggressive.

I don't like the team talks work at the moment, whatever I say %95 of the time it says "did not seem to be listening" I rather not say anything but then it feels like I'm missing something.

What if they change it so that so say something to a player and if they have any reaction they do it right away. I dont think a real manager needs assistant post match feedback to understand the reaction of players towards his speech, they are face to face in first place. If I say to my striker I'm disappointed after his 6.0 first half rating, I should be immediately notified whether he agrees and raises his head or gets more aggressive.

This does happen currently. I've never needed the assistant feedback for FM09 at all, because I can tell immediately whether the talk given to the player has worked or not by his rating. If his rating goes up it's had a positive effect, if it drops even further then sub him, it's plain not worked for him whatever you said. The match ratings for players are your notification you are talking about and I'm grateful that they now go to a decimal place, it makes things so much easier to tell whether a players performance is shifting before it's too late on in the game.

I think that teamtalks can really influence players in real life, so they should have a good amount of influence in FM. You can always view the Team Talk feedback of the last game. However I still think that there should be more options.

I would say team-talk is not upto the mark but definitely not broken.

When wining at half-time and If I get 'Encourage' option, I use that always. This way I manage to keep motivations up, sometimes better.

If I don't get any 'Encourage' option, then I use some invidual talks like this:

Go to Feedback screen. Note down the players who are not playing well according to assistant and I talk to them 'I Have Faith'. Players with less than 6.0 rating gets 'Disappointing' talks. Rest are set to 'None'. This way I have found that most of the cases my team didn't loose motivation and non-performing players get motivated. Sometimes 3-0 score ends up with 4-1 or better. :)

This theory worked for me in last two seasons and success rate is above 80%.

I understand some of the frustrations in here, certainly, because the team talks do not seem to be particularly intuitive in this version of FM.

However, I don't know if any of you have seen this post from WWFan. He explains what the different options are actually supposed to mean in his view. I found it slightly less frustrating when following his descriptions.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards,

C.

No matter how far we progress, it still seems to me like a matter of translation rather than anything being fundamentally broken or badly implemented...

TRANSLATION??? But Sports Interactive is a British company and they speak English! There shouldn't be ANY confusion as to what team talks really mean. We should have options which 'do exactly what they say on the tin' as opposed to this 'hidden lose button' bingo we currently have.

The simple fact the OP didn't say anything to his players at half time for fear of 'picking the wrong one' says it all really. I don't want to say any more because I'll go off on a tangent about this particular part of FM which is, in truth, a load of old rubbish.

While I agree with team talks being slightly too effective in either way, you have screwed up that one entirely by yourself. Saying nothing is in 99.x % of all cases by far the worst thing you could do.

Just imagine being a player and 3-0 up at half-time and the manager doesn't say a word. You'd be severely puzzled.

TRANSLATION??? But Sports Interactive is a British company and they speak English! There shouldn't be ANY confusion as to what team talks really mean. We should have options which 'do exactly what they say on the tin' as opposed to this 'hidden lose button' bingo we currently have.

The simple fact the OP didn't say anything to his players at half time for fear of 'picking the wrong one' says it all really. I don't want to say any more because I'll go off on a tangent about this particular part of FM which is, in truth, a load of old rubbish.

You should be aware that translation is one of the biggest issues with FM09, just look at the tactics sliders. :rolleyes:

Archived