Players' retirements

I would like to be able to suggest to players that they are no longer up to standard and might like to retire whilst offering them a contract to become a coach.

I know that you could just release them, but if you've had them in the squad for a long time and have an attachment/ long record of success together, it would be nice to have the opportunity to broach the subject, rather than see them leave for another club, where they might then start their coaching careers; if they respect your opinion, they might go for it.

More interaction is needed. I like the idea of this because players only tend to retire when there contract is up or they may just move club.

I have a striker at Reading he is 35 now, an ideal time i think to branch out & become a coach for me. But he wants a 4 year contract, now i will just add that he doesnt have a staff profile yet. If i do offer him a 4 year contract that he wants he will just loiter in the squad and player a handful of games a season. He is slowly declining, last season he played 20 games (mainly cup runs & lower side opposition).

If i dont offer him the contract, he will just move to another club and then become a coach. I would love it if i could just pull him to one side and say, "your getting on now and im not going to be able to play you as often as we both want. But i would like it if you became a player coach or even a full time coach with me"

I would like to be able to suggest to players that they are no longer up to standard and might like to retire whilst offering them a contract to become a coach.

Good idea. Might be fun to see how a player reacts to being told they are over the hill!

There are some flaws in the current system, player announces his retirement at the end of the season so I say I think he'd make a good coach, he just wants to concentrate on playing at this stage of his career. Fair enough, leave it until may, the season is over he retires in about 6 weeks time and there's only a game or two left. He still only wants to focus on his career as a player, as though he isn't retiring in just a few weeks time.

There needs to be more transition from the mind-set of when a player is 30 to when he's 35 and so on.

But I reckon that there is actually a gap between retirement and moving into coaching. I guess it's because of the need to get the required badges etc.

Very few players start coaching while they are still playing. Maybe at the lower leagues I think, where personnel are short.

I think a more feasible option is for players who retire to 'disappear' for a while, then reappear as coaching staff, available to be signed.

There are quite a few players who have gone on the record saying they're doing their coaching badges while still playing for a club so I think going straight from playing to coaching can be realistic.

I signed Claude Makelele for 10k at the ripe old age of 42 thinking he'd make a good coach when he does finally retire. He's now decided to hang up his boots at the end of the season and his staff profile is up. He's got an 8 for defending and a 16 for attacking! I'm suprised his shooting isn't at 20 with stats like those.

Players should really have staff attributes that reflect what they were good at in real life.

MunkD's Makelele example is the exact thing I'm talking about. He should've definitely been a defensive coach or had his attributes spread between attack and defence.

This is a good idea as I am in 2018 and Stevie G is 37 and he wants first team football so I had to sell him for £500,000 and the following season he turned into a coach and I would have loved him to stay at Liverpool. Yes I could always offer him a job but come on 37 and first team football - never will happen but he has always said he would do coaching.

Oh, just another thing, I think attributes do affect Coaching as Jens Mustermann (Oliver Kahn) is one of the best goalkeeping coaches in 2011. And I just did a bit of research into this with my cirrent save, Lampard is a Technique coach (I assume)....for Liverpool

Archived