Adding Future Expansion Franchises to MLS in FM10?

In an older post I posted the following in regards to Future Expansion Franchises in the MLS:

MLS Expansion - In order for the MLS to be playable over multiple seasons the future MLS Expansion needs to be included. Philadelphia Union in 2010 and Vancouver Whitecaps & Portland Timbers in 2011. Playing in the MLS for more than one season just doesn't feel real without it mirroring the real life expansions.

I do understand that SI only get the license for the CURRENT MLS season which doesn't include the future expansions. So why not keep us MLS fans happy by including something in the editor that allows us to manually add expansions to the MLS for future seasons. In the editor there could be an 'expansion' tab for the MLS league and in it you select teams and choose what season/year they join the league. This would also allow users to add there own ideas for future teams in the MLS. As there are more teams going to be added to the MLS in future years as I believe they are planning for 12 teams in each conference.

I know people will say this will be 'too hard' to code but SI did have this feature in their OOTP Baseball game a FEW YEARS AGO. So this IS possible, so I would love to see this happen. I would spend years and years in the MLS if they implemented this. But on FM2009 I can't spend more than a year in the MLS because without the expansions it is just not realistic.

Then Miles Jacobson stated the following in the FM10 Announcement thread:

A brand new Data Editor will allow the addition of new divisions to existing leagues and of entirely new leagues as well as making it easier than ever to keep the game up to date, and do so for free.

So I was wondering if it will be possible to add teams to join leagues during the game seeing as we can now add leagues and divisions? This would improve MLS gameplay by 100%

Would this also mean we would be able to add The USL-1 and USL-2 as playable leagues in the US?

Would this also mean we would be able to add The USL-1 and USL-2 as playable leagues in the US?

From what I gather from the SI responses to other similar questions, yes we can make USL1 & 2 them playable.

Like you, I'd love to see a proper expansion schedule added, at least for the next 3 teams that we know are in. On top of the OOTP Baseball example you gave, I've read that they coded the Scottish league expansion in past FM's. Due to licensing I understand if SI cant make it an official part of the game, but if it was possible in the editor to include this- fantastic!

I know other leagues (A-League for one) would be interested in such a feature, so it has a broader appeal!

From what I gather from the SI responses to other similar questions, yes we can make USL1 & 2 them playable.

Like you, I'd love to see a proper expansion schedule added, at least for the next 3 teams that we know are in. On top of the OOTP Baseball example you gave, I've read that they coded the Scottish league expansion in past FM's. Due to licensing I understand if SI cant make it an official part of the game, but if it was possible in the editor to include this- fantastic!

I know other leagues (A-League for one) would be interested in such a feature, so it has a broader appeal!

Totally agreed, it has a broad appeal with the MLS and Australia's A-League being prime examples.

It would be fantastic to just be able to select teams to join leagues and select which season they join in the editor. This would make managing in the MLS perfect!

I am looking forward to adding USL-1 and USL-2 into the game!

Totally agreed, it has a broad appeal with the MLS and Australia's A-League being prime examples.

It would be fantastic to just be able to select teams to join leagues and select which season they join in the editor. This would make managing in the MLS perfect!

I am looking forward to adding USL-1 and USL-2 into the game!

One other thing that would be massive for me is if the College teams could be added properly. Given what I've read, it could be possible, if we can create an amateur league with age restrictions (ie, over 17, under 23 or something to get as close to real as possible).

If those college teams then sent their players to the MLS draft then that would be amazing. Probably not possible ---- unless we can create the college teams to be a 'reserve' team for the MLS Combine teams or something, from which the MLS draft takes it players. Not sure if it is coded that way, but maybe it is. SI?

One other thing that would be massive for me is if the College teams could be added properly. Given what I've read, it could be possible, if we can create an amateur league with age restrictions (ie, over 17, under 23 or something to get as close to real as possible).

If those college teams then sent their players to the MLS draft then that would be amazing. Probably not possible ---- unless we can create the college teams to be a 'reserve' team for the MLS Combine teams or something, from which the MLS draft takes it players. Not sure if it is coded that way, but maybe it is. SI?

That is a really good idea too...

I'd like to here from a member of the SI team on these matters..........

Anyone from SI care to comment???

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the FM10 announcement thread, but it's relevant to this thread and I'd still like to hear an answer:

"Quick MLS question:

I understand it's possible to add lower leagues so I could put USL-1 and USL-2 in in MLS, but I'm wondering how the draft system will work. As it is now, regens are added to these clubs and are drafted into MLS, but if those clubs are already in the league then how will teams that don't generate regens receive new players? Raiding the lower leagues (not that I'm too averse to that, haha).

Also, will it be possible to edit hardcoded MLS rules like the salary cap and roster slots? I probably wouldn't get rid of the cap entirely, but raising it every other year would be great to keep pace with the growth of the league. The roster limit is such a burden though, just ask the real life Toronto FC.

Thanks for all the feedback. "

I posted this in the FM10 announcement thread, but it's relevant to this thread and I'd still like to hear an answer:

"Quick MLS question:

I understand it's possible to add lower leagues so I could put USL-1 and USL-2 in in MLS, but I'm wondering how the draft system will work. As it is now, regens are added to these clubs and are drafted into MLS, but if those clubs are already in the league then how will teams that don't generate regens receive new players? Raiding the lower leagues (not that I'm too averse to that, haha).

Also, will it be possible to edit hardcoded MLS rules like the salary cap and roster slots? I probably wouldn't get rid of the cap entirely, but raising it every other year would be great to keep pace with the growth of the league. The roster limit is such a burden though, just ask the real life Toronto FC.

Thanks for all the feedback. "

More good questions... I too would like to know the answer to those... How will the MLS draft work if we add USL-1 and USL-2?

The MLS drafts in real life consists of college players. Because there are no North American colleges in the game (except BYU's unique case), in the game MLS teams draft players from the PDL, where many college players play in the summer in real life, and I think other amateur clubs. USL 1 and 2 clubs are not directly affected by the draft in real life or in the game. In the game, I'm 99% sure that USL 1 and 2 clubs do generate their own regens. Does that address your concern?

I guess one thing to make sure of would be that USL clubs do not participate in the drafting of players alongside MLS clubs.

The MLS drafts in real life consists of college players. Because there are no North American colleges in the game (except BYU's unique case), in the game MLS teams draft players from the PDL, where many college players play in the summer in real life, and I think other amateur clubs.

Is that how the game engine generates the drafted players? If so, we could probably work the full PDL teams into the game so that the MLS draft is more realist over time. It doesnt solve the problem for people who want to play as college teams, unless of course the game can be set to draft from there too...

I guess one thing to make sure of would be that USL clubs do not participate in the drafting of players alongside MLS clubs.

Up until recently the USL1 and 2 levels did have a college draft, taking place after the MLS teams had their shot. If they did end up drafting in the game, it wouldnt be terribly unrealistic, since the USL draft could easily return with the new ownership.

The MLS drafts in real life consists of college players. Because there are no North American colleges in the game (except BYU's unique case), in the game MLS teams draft players from the PDL, where many college players play in the summer in real life, and I think other amateur clubs. USL 1 and 2 clubs are not directly affected by the draft in real life or in the game. In the game, I'm 99% sure that USL 1 and 2 clubs do generate their own regens. Does that address your concern?

If the MLS drafts from the PDL teams in the game then there shouldn't be a problem.

I'd still like to here from SI on this...???

• 8 months later...

Has this question been answered by SI yet? Is it possible to add Philadelphia, Vancouver, Portland and now Montreal into the game so that over time they join the league?

If it is already available how do you include them?

if you search on fmnorthamerica.com there is a a database you can download which they have made to include PDL, USL 1 and 2 as well as NCAA divisions. I do not know anything about the NCAA so don't know if they have been split properly. Im pretty sure they have changed it as well so draft comes from NCAA rather than PDL. Hope that helps

Archived