Tactics questions for FM2010.

Hi, I have just seen the screenshots for FM2010, and I have a few tactical questions.

Mods, feel free to move this thread to the tactics and training thread if this does not belong here. :)

In the previous FM player templates, you can select the instructions of a defender from the drop down menu, and your defender will have the basic instructions a defender should have.

In FM2010, from the screenshots, I notice that you can instruct players to play roles such as "Deep-lying playmaker, Ball winning Midfield etc". You can also get them to perform roles such as "retain possession" or to "pump the ball into the box, play it forward" etc.

I'm wondering are these similar to the previous FM player templates. Such that selecting these roles or instructions will override the instructions you have set for them.

I'm also thinking if these options can conflict with each other. For example, I set my player to be a ball-winning midfielder, and set him to retain possession, but also get him to pump the ball into the box.

Surely these instructions would conflict with each other.

I'm very excited about these instructions that you can give, as I find it difficult to translate the instructions for players onto the sliders.

Cheers. :)

Hi, I have just seen the screenshots for FM2010, and I have a few tactical questions.

Mods, feel free to move this thread to the tactics and training thread if this does not belong here. :)

In the previous FM player templates, you can select the instructions of a defender from the drop down menu, and your defender will have the basic instructions a defender should have.

In FM2010, from the screenshots, I notice that you can instruct players to play roles such as "Deep-lying playmaker, Ball winning Midfield etc". You can also get them to perform roles such as "retain possession" or to "pump the ball into the box, play it forward" etc.

I'm wondering are these similar to the previous FM player templates. Such that selecting these roles or instructions will override the instructions you have set for them.

I'm also thinking if these options can conflict with each other. For example, I set my player to be a ball-winning midfielder, and set him to retain possession, but also get him to pump the ball into the box.

Surely these instructions would conflict with each other.

I'm very excited about these instructions that you can give, as I find it difficult to translate the instructions for players onto the sliders.

Cheers. :)

They are different from the previous templates as they will not break your mentality system and will stay fixed to mentality as you become more or less aggressive in strategy.

The instructions 'pump ball into box' and 'retain possession' don't conflict. The former semi-overwrites the latter. By implementing the former, your two most defensive strata and any midfielder with a defend duty will pump everything forward. However, more attacking players will try to hold possession and keep the ball higher up the pitch. Removing the 'pump ball' shout then makes the defensive strata play possession football as well. However, for any fully conflicting shouts (i.e. play wider --> play narrower), the latter shout will completely override the previous one.

Hope that's clear.

Thanks wwfan.

Oh so mentality is not affected. :)

Are there any sliders that won't be affected by these shouts?

Also, I understand your example of the 'pump ball into box', and retain possession.

But what if I see it in another way?

I want my defenders to retain possession while my midfielders pump the ball into the box from wide and deep positions?

Are there any ways to see if a shout is for defensive players or attacking players?

How about a deep-lying playmaker? Will he be considered a defensive or attacking player?

Sorry for all these questions.

I'm just afraid that with all these shouts, it will provide more confusion!

:)

Are there any ways to see if a shout is for defensive players or attacking players?

In FML all shouts have tooltips explaining what they do, so I assume they will do in FM as well.

Also, I understand your example of the 'pump ball into box', and retain possession.

But what if I see it in another way?

I want my defenders to retain possession while my midfielders pump the ball into the box from wide and deep positions?

You'd have to do this manually, not via shouts.

How about a deep-lying playmaker? Will he be considered a defensive or attacking player?

Depends on his strata and duty. Sometimes one, sometimes the other.

Archived