Blocked shots

Something which has annoyed me about FM09 is the inclusion of "blocked shots" in the total shots on goal tally.

I see no reason for this and you end up with unrealistic and uneven numbers of shots. For example, I tell most of my players to only take long shots rarely, and when I play teams who allow most of the team to shoot freely I end up having much fewer shots than them despite 10+ of their shots being blocked out. When watching a game on TV, when the number of attempts are shown, I'm 99% sure they don't include these blocked efforts and I just think it is a pointless addition (I don't think this was the case in previous versions).

I understand it's not a huge problem, just something that I find irritating, I hope this will not be the case for FM10.

What do you guys think?

Something which has annoyed me about FM09 is the inclusion of "blocked shots" in the total shots on goal tally.

I see no reason for this and you end up with unrealistic and uneven numbers of shots. For example, I tell most of my players to only take long shots rarely, and when I play teams who allow most of the team to shoot freely I end up having much fewer shots than them despite 10+ of their shots being blocked out. When watching a game on TV, when the number of attempts are shown, I'm 99% sure they don't include these blocked efforts and I just think it is a pointless addition (I don't think this was the case in previous versions).

I understand it's not a huge problem, just something that I find irritating, I hope this will not be the case for FM10.

What do you guys think?

I think completely different to you.

First of all there is no "discounting" of efforts. It would be thoroughly pointless and detrimental for the game to actually provide misleading data.

Secondly blocked shots indicate those shots where defenders have got in the way. If you have ten shots, 8 on target and 3 blocked then quite clearly you are slicing through the opponents defence upfront and forcing saves from the goalkeeper. If you have 20 shots and 18 blocked then your players are rushing the finish or shooting from range against a packed defence and you need to consider both your construction and execution of finishes.

So no I don't consider it to be "irritating" at all. I consider it to be highly informative but relatively redundant considering I watch full match replays of all the game my club play. It can be useful for when you are watching the match and think it is going one way but realise you are being caught up in the excitement rather than being impartial and accurate, but it most certainly is not "irritating".

The more stats the merrier.

Archived