Signing Players In One Season

Usually 5 or 6 if I need to, 8 if need be after joining a new side or promotion. However having taken over a promoted side after a season in 09 who had the same side they started with (having led them to promotion before falling foul of the C1 bug, wasn't going to take over them again but as I saw they'd been promoted anyway I thought I might as well) I knew I needed a clean slate and fast so bought literally an entire 1st 11, was a pretty good if unspectacular season despite that, not so well when I did the same the following season (to get rid of the rest) but did decently enough. However on a new save on a new laptop, started with a promoted side and got 11 players again but after a good start fell apart into a deep relegation scrap. Not sure how much of that was due to squad inbalance, the relative weakness of a promoted squad (some of them were still slightly better then the new ones,) or the fact that a newly promoted french side can't attract as strong players as a premiership side (though some were very strong indeed, a morale drop after a bad early result or anything else. Certainly if I can't find someone better then an existing player when I need to buy many players then I won't as I probably didn't need to buy all the players I did. Certainly the success in the previous game (or initial lack of failure) suggest buying 10-11 players isn't a surefire path to disaster. Aa it happens I managed to transfer my existing game to my new laptop anyway so I've left the french mess far behind. It helps that I always buy players who are down as being able to fit in well or being of similar personalities with the existing squad, and those that look like they can't are left alone, no matter how good they are.

Archived