Help setting up United and England centre midfield

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of help with setting up my two centre midfielders for both Man Utd and England. Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves are the two players that i'm trying to develop a partnership between. I've been trying to develop them into a partnership much like AC Milan use with Pirlo and Gattuso. Pirlo is the deep lying play maker who pulls the strings and Gattuso is the tough tackling midfielder that offers Pirlo the protection to do what he does best. I see Carrick in the Pirlo role and Hargreaves doing the other one.

Carrick has mentality of 16 and everything set to mixed except through balls which is often. CF is 10 and closing down 17.

Hargreaves has a mentality of 14 and everything set to rarely except through balls which is often. His CF is also set to 10 and closing down 17

I've been playing a 442 but in actuality its more of an 4411 formation as i get Rooney to drop into the hole. I've been slightly struggling with this too at times. I have Rooney on a mentality of 16 and my other striker with a mentality of 19(Berbatov and Ashton). It works well for the two target men as they have been getting plenty of goals and Rooney is also scoring a number of goals but Rooney tends to have a poor rating if he doesnt score and sometimes he doesn't come deep enough to be involved in the play and is just a passenger in games.

Rooney's individual instructions are: mentality of 16, CF of 15, closing down 17, everything else set to mixed except through balls which is often

Anyway, if i could get any help with either of these two issues i'd greatly appreciate it.

It's just a flaw with the ratings, though a pretty annoying one. Deep strikers, AMCs and attacking MCas get low ratings unless they're involved in a goal. Don't worry too much about it!

Try dropping Hargeaves and Carrick's mentalities one each, maybe two for Carrick. Set Carrick as a playmaker.

To help a bit with both issues, try playing narrow and focusing your passing through the middle.

Honestly I doubt that either of those possesses the class of the Gattuso/Pirlo partnership which as a starting point may lead to less success in comparison.

Your deep-lying playmaker should have a higher creative freedom setting as he is the guy you want to dictate your play. On the oppositze maybe the supporter should have low creativity.

Archived