Player Positions FM09 with view to FM10

Some of you may agree, some may not, but either way it's worth a discussion 'cos it bothers me and i wonder whether anyone else has issues.

I have an problem with players such as Veloso, Zuculini, and Mascherano showing up as merely accomplished, rather than natural, when put into a flat 442.

Surely DMC is a role and should not as such be defined by the midfield position on the pitch. If I play a holding midfielder in front of the back 4 his role is the same as if I play him as a holding midfielder in a 442, he is there to anchor the midfield.

Equally, AMC's. Many current AMC's play in a flat 442, but in FM a lot of them are purely positional AMC's and are essentially out of position in a flat 442.

Is pushing a DMC or AMC into a flat 442 seen as a positional disadvantage by the match engine?

Discuss.

I don't really see what difference it makes as long as the role you assign them is correct. I have one CM set to defensve duties and one set to offensive duties and never had a problem with it. Mascherano is a beast in a flat 442 for me.

I don't really see what difference it makes as long as the role you assign them is correct. I have one CM set to defensve duties and one set to offensive duties and never had a problem with it. Mascherano is a beast in a flat 442 for me.

So what is your problem with him being rated as accomplished at CM then?

And yes, DMC,CM and AMC are distinct positions; just like RB and WB or MR and AMR.

So what is your problem with him being rated as accomplished at CM then?

And yes, DMC,CM and AMC are distinct positions; just like RB and WB or MR and AMR.

How come the AMC can play MC roles with a green light.

But DM players can only play in front of the back 4 with a green light. Move them into midfield and they flag orange.

Surely the role should be DMC and should be equally effective in DMC or MC position?

That depends. Some DMs can play in MC with green. I think natural DMs have MC set automatically as accomplished.

If they're a centre back who's good on the ball, I'd trust them at DM but not MC.

The core issue: AMC= Kaka, MCa= Lampard. DM= Makelele/Gattuso, MCd= Essien/Carrick

my first thought was, ohh interesting.

But after thinking a bit I don't see the need for a change here because the positional difference between a '6' and a '10' as so big that they should be set to different strata in order to show that difference properly.

Also there are quite a number of player who can only play one of these roles. Not every midefielder can play defensively and attacking, especially not those who have their best position in attack or defense.

Then you might say that still we should be the ones to notice that a midfielder can only play one role, for instance the defensive one, by looking at his attributes which make other duties not seem wise. But then one would have to think further. Irl there is no such thing as a set player position, just player attributes. Managers happen to field players where they think they are best based on their ability in different areas of the game.

Consequently one would have to abolish the positions altogether if we went along these lines. We shouldn't.

Disagree with the OP to an extent. As a City fan I'm very well aware that Elano realistically cannot play the MCa role, and likewise Kompany cannot play the DMc role. It may be harsh on some players who are probably much more closer to natural than "accomplished" but certainly not accross the board.

Irl there is no such thing as a set player position, just player attributes. Managers happen to field players where they think they are best based on their ability in different areas of the game.

I disagree. A player can have all the attributes required but be poor in a position. Ronaldo wasn't that great up front, neither was Seol (both relatively, of course). It does come down to how knowledgeable a player is in how to play in a position. Michael Carrick has all a full back needs, as does Michael Essien, but play them there and they wouldn't be, or in Essien's case aren't, as good.

Archived