Playable Assistant Manager option for FM2010/11?

I thought about this AGES ago, and meant to post it, but kept forgetting to put it up here.

Sometimes, I feel like FM (and CM, on the rare occasion I actually bother to play it) kinda just feels like all the same, no matter how many new games I start with whatever club. So I thought, to add a bit of variety and a new twist in the series, why not introduce the option to become an Assistant Manager? Depending on who you were assisting, it could affect your attributes and mentality and stuff, and increase your reputation as you'd become known within the game more, as a Manager would obviously be happy with your appointment.

Anyone else like to see this in FM? Probably not 2010 but 2011? And any other thoughts on how it'd work?

I can see why people wouldn't be interested in this but with the reserve and youth teams already being in the game, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

First team manager asking you to give a senior player 45 minutes as he recovers from injury etc.

I can see why people wouldn't be interested in this but with the reserve and youth teams already being in the game, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

First team manager asking you to give a senior player 45 minutes as he recovers from injury etc.

Assistant managers don't always do reserves/under 18s

True, but it can be called differently as long as you assume the role of reserves/youth "manager". It's actually quite appealing to me as I pay a LOT of attention to my youth development. Sounds like the right (realistic) way to get into the football management as well.

I've always liked the idea of being able to coach a reserve team/youth team and working up a reputation before entering the foray of management. However in reality, there are only a few of us who would have the patience to sit through (multiple, if it's realistic) seasons as a nobody coach. and i don't think it'll ever be worth implementing in the game for just a select few people.

True, but it can be called differently as long as you assume the role of reserves/youth "manager". It's actually quite appealing to me as I pay a LOT of attention to my youth development. Sounds like the right (realistic) way to get into the football management as well.

Yeah, that was the main reason I like the idea of it. I get why people wouldn't want it and why FM wouldn't implement it, just think it'd be a cool little addition.

I'd actually love an almost rpg thing where you start as player. Then upon retirement you transfer your saved file to FM and select that profile.

That would be AMAZING!!!

Interesting idea.

I also like the one of starting as a footballer.

It's to say it will never be done. Definitely not this year. Or 5 years time. But who knows who will be running the show in 10 years time, or what new technologies, graphics, engines etc. that will be out there.

Never say never.

I like the idea of working your way up, like reserve team manager or u18 manager but would need really thinking through before putting it into game. But like all other ideas on this subject, it goes back to arguement of this games called Football Manager, not coach/assistant etc...

Archived