I signed a young player and he will join me in the January transfer window but...

I've had this problem too. Is he under 18 and from a non EU country?

The problem is that players in Brazil etc can't sign for clubs in Europe until they turn 18, but they can turn professional. So, the new cotnract is probably for him turning professional, even though he has arranged to leave in the enar future.

Im playing as Liverpool FC and bought him from Nottm Forrest he is English and 17 years old.

Im in November and i he will join up with me in January but they offered him a new contract and he accepted. possibly a bug im guessing?

Had that many times. The worst, i think, was when the player had already signed for me but couldn't join me until the transfer window opened. The day before he joins me he signs a new contract with his current club, and the joins my club the next day.

Think it might be because they've signed a pre-contract. And when they're old enough they "sign" that new contract automatically. Pretty much what Elrithral says in post #3.

That's my theory at least :p

Players sign a pre-contract at 16 when at a club. At 17 the contract comes into effect. Until they turn 17 they are youth players (donated by a YTH beside their name in the squad list, this just basically means they are not eligible for full-time employment at 16).

Normally when I sign a young player it asks if I want to sign him as a youth player. But you can change that to Full-Time or Part-time. When you offer the full time contract they are given a youth contract until they turn 17, and when they turn 17 their full time contract kicks in.

If I only choose Youth Player from the list it leaves the player open to sign for other clubs for free. When I make it Full Time then the player is in agreement to sign for me when he turns 17, but if another club wants him before then they have to pay money to buy him out of his contract.

Yes i signed him when he was 16 :)

But you paid money for him right?

Meaning he had a pre-contract to sign for the club when he turned 17.

So Forrest offer him a contract, and make it full-time, he turns 17 and gets his new deal that is contracted to him.

In between this you bought him for cash.

He probably automatically got a new contract at 17, based on him signing at 16 as a full-time player rather than a youth player.

If you signed him for free then he would not have a pre-contract, but you'd be obliged to pay the club compensation.

Archived