Negotiating a transfer after (future) free transfer agreement

I think it should be possible still to make an offer for a player after you have signed him on a (future) free transfer.

Here is an example.

You have signed a striker on a free transfer, but he will first join your club in 5-6 months, suddenly another club makes a very good offer for one of your other strikers, which you choose to accept. Then it would be nice to be able to negotiate an instant transfer of the striker you signed on a (future) free transfer.

Here is another one.

It could also be useful, if you tried to make an offer for a player that has 5-6 months left of his contract and his club demands too much for an instant transfer, then it would be nice to sign the player on a (future) free transfer and then start negotiating with that club again (to make the transfer now and not months later) and try to make them lower the price as less money is better than no money at all.

And of cause it should only be an option as long as the transfer window is open :)

What do you think?

I think the first one would be plausible, but only within the transfer window.

But generally, an agreed transfer is an agreed transfer. I don't think there are many instances where clubs chop and change their decisions. It certainly makes them look bad.

I don't understand the second one. Are u saying u would sign them on a free then offer money anyway?

The first sounds feasable although not sure whether it's the done thing in real life. If a club puts ina reasonable offer for my player then I sell him and take the risk or see whether I can negotiate it to go through at end of season

Both are possible, FC København did it a year ago, when they signed Thomas Kristensen from FC Nordsjælland, first they signed the player on a free transfer, which would make the player join the club 6 months later (his contract expires), after that, they started to negotiate with FC Nordsjælland again to make the transfer instant and they got him for a lower price.

And Brøndby is trying to do the same these days with Martin Bernburg from FC Nordsjælland, they have signed him on a free transfer, but he will first join them 01-01-2010, but they are (according to the media's) still negotiating to make it an instant transfer.

I don't understand the second one. Are u saying u would sign them on a free then offer money anyway?

The first sounds feasable although not sure whether it's the done thing in real life. If a club puts ina reasonable offer for my player then I sell him and take the risk or see whether I can negotiate it to go through at end of season

To make the player come 6 months before his contract expires

Brøndby just did it, they signed Martin Bernburg a few weeks ago on a free transfer and he would join them 01-01-2010, but since they have managed to negotiate a deal with FC Nordsjælland that allows him to be transfered now in exchange of Tobias Mikkelsen instead of paying the 6.000.000 danish kroner FC Nordsjælland demanded before the free transfer deal was agreed. So does it happen in real life? Yes. :)

Archived