Your worst CM/FM opening day disasters!

Ever done a Norwich or a Millwall where as a supposedly decent team in your division, you received an unexpected opening day thrashing?

As Spurs in my very first CM 3 league game I took an 8-1 from Villa beating on opening day. The comfortable friendlies had given me a false sense of security that I knew what I was doing!

Not only was mine the first day of the season, it was my first FM09 match! Got thumped 4-0 by Braintree as Newport County, needless to say I didn't play with those tactics again. At least it wasn't as bad as Norwich's start on Saturday though!

Never. I've never lost a game in my FM career.

Seriously though, I've had plenty of season-opener horror shows, most recently (as Liverpool) I lost the opening match of the season 2-0 away to Sunderland. Not a massive defeat in terms of goals conceded, but still ridiculous nonetheless :D

Friendlies are absolutely useless in FM of gauging how tactics work. Something that tears apart all and sundry in pre-season will leave you with 30% possession and coughing up 20 shots in a competitive match. The number of times I have been on the recieving end of absolute hidings in my very first league/competitive match on my very first game on a new version of FM due to an inability to really test and figure out tactics in pre-season is too high to count.

Basically, now I do all my tactical experimentation in the first game of the season, with plenty of reloads. That said, even after I find something that I'm happy with, I still get whupped from time to time. :(

Worst one was probably as Arsenal on FM08 (when a lot of my old tactical theories seemed to stop working). Some mid-table EPL side turned up on the opening day of the season (Blackburn or something like that?) and promptly scored 4 goals in the opening 25 minutes of the match.

Friendlies are absolutely useless in FM of gauging how tactics work.

THIS. 100% THIS. This sentence should be framed, gold plated and set in stone AND THEN used as the banner for these forums. I've lost count of how many times I've sauntered through the friendlies with 6/7 straight wins, scoring goals all over the place whilst being led to believe that

a) my tactic is working just as I had intended, and

b) there is absolutely no need to change it. WHY WOULD I when I've just beaten 6 or 7 decent teams by huge margins????

Then the season starts and... meeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooo. Rubbish. :mad:

THIS. 100% THIS. This sentence should be framed, gold plated and set in stone AND THEN used as the banner for these forums. I've lost count of how many times I've sauntered through the friendlies with 6/7 straight wins, scoring goals all over the place whilst being led to believe that

a) my tactic is working just as I had intended, and

b) there is absolutely no need to change it. WHY WOULD I when I've just beaten 6 or 7 decent teams by huge margins????

Then the season starts and... meeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooo. Rubbish. :mad:

See Tottenham most seasons, we went 31 pre-season friendlies unbeaten yet would have an awful start to the season.

On FM 08

2nd season on one of my old games. My Promoted Sheffield United lost 5-0 to Fulham. Was Shocked to say the least had brought in a few really decent players, One of them being Stephen Ireland for 4 million from a Relagated Man City, think it was the 5 new signings that undid me, unfortunately my save corrupted not long after :-(

Archived