Is FM getting boring or am i getting older?

I am 27, I have been playing Football manager since the first release of Championship Manager for Amiga.

I have this feeling that although i buy the game every year, i play less and less. FM2010, i havent touched it for 3 months.

To be honest, some things in the game really make me bored playing this game , i find the game very easy , it's so easy to reach success , and it's all repetitive, same press conferences etc..

However, my question is :

You guys , especially close to my age or over, are you feeling that you are bored of this game ?

If yes, is it because of the lack of enjoyment in the game? or is it you are getting older and you prefer doing other things in life and have no time for FM.

Thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im 13 and this is the first time today that i play the game for about 3 months and My first day visiting the forums about 2 months.

Suddenly i just lost all intrest in the game and just stopped playing. But im playing now finding the love for the game back.

FM is the only game I have time for, now that i'm older. Unlike other games, I can have a long term save with FM and come back to it every so often, pick up where I left off, without a second thought. I tried to replay Final Fanatsy VII a couple of months ago, it was impossible to play without sitting down for massive sessions. FM, on the other hand, I don't have to have a massive session on it, in order to enjoy the save.

I have also thought about this.

First, FM series do not change a lot over the years (I think this is not a bad thing!).

Second, everyone has his or her "interest span" which is likely to be, say, five or six years. After playing FM for those years, he or she is likely to feel the game boring.

But every year, there are people, especially kids, who are new to the game and would find it interesting because they never see it before.

When you really feel tired about FM, it is time to move on.

Been playing since Champ Man and I can honestly say FM09 is the best one of the lot. Almost lost my job because I play it so much, haha. When i'm at work I'm constantly running through tactics in my head and find I can't wait to fire up my laptop and play it again. Maybe I have fmphomania or something, I should get myself to a local meeting or something.

I am 27, I have been playing Football manager since the first release of Championship Manager for Amiga.

I have this feeling that although i buy the game every year, i play less and less. FM2010, i havent touched it for 3 months.

To be honest, some things in the game really make me bored playing this game , i find the game very easy , it's so easy to reach success , and it's all repetitive, same press conferences etc..

However, my question is :

You guys , especially close to my age or over, are you feeling that you are bored of this game ?

If yes, is it because of the lack of enjoyment in the game? or is it you are getting older and you prefer doing other things in life and have no time for FM.

Thanks.

Well you should still be happy, some of us don't even have it yet :D

It comes in waves for me. I bought and played CM '93, CM2, CM 96/97, CM 97/98, CM3, CM 99/00, CM 00/01, CM 01/02 when they came out, and spend ages playing them at the cost of at least two jobs ;)

Then I had enough for a while... I bought an X-Box some time later and couldn't help myself: I bought CM 02/03 and played that.

After a longish break I picked up CM4 from the bargain bin, but didn't really get into it. When FM2005 came out I was curious and gave it a go but didn't play for more than a couple seasons before losing interest.

Another break.

I did pick up FM2007 for the X360 but again it couldn't hold my attention for more than a few seasons.

I bought FM2009 in Feb this year or so and have been playing it every single day again, just like old times. I'm sure it'll end someday, just as sure as I'll pick right up where I left, be it in 2009, 2010, 2013 or whatever. Once the Collyer Bros' game is in your blood you're addicted :D

Oh, and for the record... I'm 38.

FM is the only game I have time for, now that i'm older.

Same here. Being married and close to thirty I'm finding I have little or no interest in other games and more time for FM than I've had in the past. Saying that though, if I didn't have 13 weeks holiday a year and such a tolerant wife I'd have stopped playing a long time ago.

I almost lost interest completely in CM/FM in the late nineties when I went to university, just because I had a large amount of social time and very little time to myself, which I think you need to really get into FM.

30 mins - 1 hr of FM per night, gives me 5-6 games played whilst my wife watches television. No way could I (or would I be allowed to) play a game like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid, in 30min segments. FM is pretty much perfect as far as adult computer games go.

30 mins - 1 hr of FM per night, gives me 5-6 games played whilst my wife watches television. No way could I (or would I be allowed to) play a game like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid, in 30min segments.

Looks like someone is under the :thup:

:D

30 mins - 1 hr of FM per night, gives me 5-6 games played whilst my wife watches television. No way could I (or would I be allowed to) play a game like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid, in 30min segments. FM is pretty much perfect as far as adult computer games go.

Sums it up nicely for me as well, the fact it has no sound and can be played while multi tasking gives it the appeal for me.

It is the game I play mostly in recent months, and I am spending less time on the Xbox, etc. I think it is because I can sit quietly playing FM, working my way through the seasons while the gf watches tv.

However, it is a little lonely sometimes, when I want to tell somebody about what just happened!! :mad:The mrs of course doesn't give a damn, and thinks I'm silly for playing a "game" so much (even though I have explained many times that it is much more than that ;))

I do miss the times of playing FM with a mate on the same computer! :( Battling for the same player, helping out each other by loaning great youngsters between us if one of us were a division or too below

if I didn't have 13 weeks holiday a year

You what???? Does your place have any jobs going? :D

Sums it up nicely for me as well, the fact it has no sound and can be played while multi tasking gives it the appeal for me.

For me as well, can do other stuff as well.

Being 34 years old, married and two kids, I have no interest in other games like I used to (except for the Wii, which I play with my wife and/or kids), FM is easy to stop for 4 ~ 5 days and pick it up after that again. (always make a note of what is going on so I don't forget when I start playing after 4 ~ 5 days).

FM is also nice when on the road for my work, being alone in hotels many nights in a year, just bring the laptop, get a beer and sit in the bar (instead of just drinking beer all night alone).

Haha that explains it then :thup:

Let me guess... you have installed/tried to install FM on one or more of the computers there? :p

I've never played it at work, I just don't have the time. It has been tempting at times but I am highly professional ;)

I think it's both really.

I'm 27 now and I have a lot less free time than I used to so I find it hard to really get into a game these days. I also think though that poorly implemented and repetitive 'features' such as press conferences and team talks have made the experience much more of a slog than it used to be way back when I first started with CM 97/98.

This is something that my friends and I have been pondering for some time now. I started off with CM2 and it just grew from there, big shouts to 97/98 (ruined my SATS), 99/00 (ruined my GCSE's), 01/02 (ruined my A-Levels and my undergrad first year (fail!)). I haven't missed a carnation of the game since 1996 but I don't feel completely besotted about it like I used to (especially 01/02!).

The answer is probably a bit of both. I'm 25 now, I have a full time Gradscheme job with more educational commitments, a time demanding girlfriend - free time is such a premium now. Some of the magic of the game has gone for sure, but this is probably because its more realistic and surely this is for the best. Yes taking Nuneaton Borough to the Premiership was fantastic in 01/02 but the game is so much more akin to real life now. The tactics module is much more demanding, this is at the expense of quick fun but is probably more rewarding in the long run. Just in a different way I guess.

Of course, despite all of the above, I'm still here. I'm at work right now, still getting the August excitement for a new version of FM round the corner-ish. Nothing gets me through the real life football close season like FM does (in fact, my 3 best saves in the last 3 years have all occurred in the May - August months) and even if I only get an hour a night to play, I still love it really. I get a real junkie's pull to the game whenever I get set a new essay for my Masters (proof that FM really is the ultimate procrastination) and although friends have fallen by the wayside over the years there are still a few of us from the original CM2 clan still playing. This is testament to an incredible game but also personal recognition that my own FM prime-time has passed and my FM life is sadly on the wane as career, marriage and children inevitably approach through the gloom.

I'm 29.

Not bored of it all. The 3d match engine was a huge coup for the game. I'm looking forward to FM10.

Although, I did post my rants on my 100th birthday thread.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=140439

There's definitely too much reptiveness and the GUI is yucky. I would prefer a more efficient use of the screen and it's real estate.

I'm 29.

Not bored of it all. The 3d match engine was a huge coup for the game. I'm looking forward to FM10.

Although, I did post my rants on my 100th birthday thread.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=140439

There's definitely too much reptiveness and the GUI is yucky. I would prefer a more efficient use of the screen and it's real estate.

Have you seen the teaser screenshot of the new UI for FM10?

FM is the only game I have time for, now that i'm older. Unlike other games, I can have a long term save with FM and come back to it every so often, pick up where I left off, without a second thought.
Being married and close to thirty I'm finding I have little or no interest in other games and more time for FM than I've had in the past. Saying that though, if I didn't have such a tolerant wife I'd have stopped playing a long time ago.

My feelings exactly. As you get older, responsibilities come with age - marriage, kids, career, etc. I've been an avid follower of the CM/FM series since CM1 and football manager on the Spectrum before that. When you're a kid you have a lot more time and in the days of when we were kids there wasn't such high expectations of games. I remember when i used to play Spectrum games and thought the graphics were amazing, not like today where they're almost expected to be amazing. So, as time has passed i wouldn't say FM has got boring, just my time has become limited (i'll contradict myself here though as in the last few months i've been lucky enough to have some time off which has allowed me to really get into a long term game). But as a general rule of thumb, i'd say time has become limited...not FM has become boring. My thoughts anyway...

In saying that about being bored playing the game.

I set myself goals.

I started at At Madrid.

They were a bit cash strapped, but I sold off the duds and brought in new players, I have 5 that I play from the start. So if I can sell 10 or 15 players with 50% sell on clause I can make a lot of money to buy the 5 I need.

Then it's a matter of building the team rep up so the best players don't want to leave. Then I have to get a new stadium before I leave a club. Which can take years.

At At Madrid it took 9850 days.

I then resigned and got offered the Arsenal job. Wahoo. So again I cleared out the deadwood and brought in the best players in the game. I then made them the best team in the world. I left after I got a new stadium named after me.

At this stage I was about 70+ years of age. And nobody really wanted to hire me. So I took the Kidderminster Harriers post and got them up 3 divisions in 3 years.

The Juventus job came up so I went for it. I got it. I've managed them now for a while. I've had a new stadium named after me. But I'm 100 years old+ in the game. So I reckon I'll hang out for another new stadium.

But that's why I'm so long in the game. I just keep setting myself silly goals.

At the moment I'm working towards breaking the 2bn mark in financial stats with Juve.

I'm 26 and played all the versions since CM2. I have only just got back into FM09 after taking a long break for a number of reasons, including 7 month old twin girls and my laptop couldn't handle it. Now the girls are old enough to go bed nice and early and I invested in more ram for my laptop. I'm now able to sit downstairs with my girlfriend while she watches whatever it is she watches, and I get fustrated with the tactics side of FM.

At the moment I'm working towards breaking the 2bn mark in financial stats with Juve.

You won't. The game can't handle numbers that big for finances so you will find money starts going into a 'reserve fund' to stop you reaching this limit.

You won't. The game can't handle numbers that big for finances so you will find money starts going into a 'reserve fund' to stop you reaching this limit.

But I'm nearly there :eek: Say it isn't true!!!! :(

I'm going to keep trying anyway.

It isn't the best incarnation of CM/FM that SI have came up with, but it isn't "bad".

I think if you're bored of the new game, don't play the new game. CM03/04 and CM01/02 remain the two best versions by some distance. Arguably, even CM97/98 is better. When I've got utterly bored of (or, in fact, just plain frustrated at), I've booted up the CM's for a blast!

I'm 37 and have been playing since the 1st game. I think getting older means I don't spend hours at a time on the game like I used to. As I get older I start to realise that I don't want to waste a day playing FM. When I was young I could spend 4 or 5 hours in one go. As you get older there are other things in your life that interest you more and I think you become a little wiser and realise it's just a game and not really not that important.

Having said that I still love FM and appreciate more the depth and complexity that FM has these days.

Well I am 31 and I still enjoy FM however I do find lot's of games boring, that does include FM.

Some times, it's just down to not having the time on my hands, or having far too much of a gaming session, certainly causes the boredom, of whatever game I play at the time. There are quite a few games that are coming out soon, that I'll more than likely pick up, when I am bored of them I will return to FM. Sometimes it's healthy to be bored of the game. The problem is a lot of us have seen it all before. I and I am gettnig tired of game hype, not just FM but for other games. However the other half often forces me to play FM as soon as I get under her feet ;)

Nothing wrong with having a break, every now and then is it?

I'm 27 and I still enjoy FM, although I limit my gaming to one game per day. I run only one save with my favourite club and it takes around 1,5 real-life months to finish one season. So for me the game doesn't take too much IRL time, but also it helps to keep it fresh - I can concentrate to every single game.

What concerns frustration, I tend to be more frustrated when I'm unlucky, but when I screw something up myself (e.g. wrong team-talk) then I can accept bad results better.

I'm 22 and stopped playing for 2 months now i think, also because the seasons ended and starting again (already started at Holland) so i cant wait for FM10... Also I've done lots of things, promotion with lower league clubs, B-teams such as Barca B, national teams, big clubs such as Barcelona, normal games etc. And i don't want to start a whole new career since FM10 will come out soon, at least the demo i guess. I'm ready for FM10!!!!@!#!@$#

I'm 25 years old and I've been playing this game for six years now; since CM4. Six years later, I am on my forth year of college, working part time, playing football with the university, running and cooking dinner every night for my wife and I...and I still have time to play 2-3 hours every day, and more on the weekends :)

When I'm done with school next spring I am going to struggle with an actual full time job where you work +40 hours per week...I hope the transition goes well :D

Archived