Manager Profile

I've played CM/FM since CM2 but since playing 09 I haven't managed to get a long term game going, I dont know if it's because my expectations have got a lot greater, but i've found i've got bored quite quickly. I've looked around on here and seen some great suggestions but i've got a few of my own, so here goes..

Chairman: Probably the thing I would like to see most is an increase in the role of chairmen: they play such a huge role in defining the character of a club but this is not currently sufficiently recognised imo. If a chairman has a high interference rating he might currently say that there are lots of good players around go and get one, but if he likes interfering and he has a favourite I'd like him to tell you to go and get him, with consequences if you fail. This would have the result that you would then be forced to carefully consider what sort of chairmen you would be working with when you consider a job offer.

President elections: If there are elections coming up, i'd like to see the game reflect this in a big way as it could completely transform the club and the playing staff. I'd like to see the proposals each candidate has, like promising to sign Kaka or Ronaldo, and they impact this will have on you- you might lose your job if he has promised a more high profile manager, or he might present you with a new purchase on becoming elected, as he may have negotiated the signing independently; you would then have to decide whether to accept this and include the player in your plans, or quit. This should also affect the current squad, for example at Real Madrid, the old president signed Huntelaar, Gago, Robben, Sniejder, but the new regime reportedly has different ideas etc

If the role of the president/chaiman became greater, you would have to think carefully about which jobs you accepted and the restrictions each different club imposed on your ability to be in charge of selection (such and such players MUST play etc) and transfers ( total control, some say or none) This is accurate to real life, Wenger has total say, Pellegrini at Madrid very little/none. This also goes for takeovers and the plans each new owner has.

No two clubs are the same, but I find in the game that whilst the name changes, not much else does.

Press conferences: I'd love it if they could be used to make the game more individually tailored to each user, to offer greater variety, for example if you were managing in la liga, if at a european match press conference you were asked by a foreign journalist if you would ever consider managing in England at some stage and you replied,

' No way, I would never manage in such an untechnical league in such a god forsaken country'', or ''I would never manage such and such a club'' or ''I would love to to, it would be a dream'' etc

then straight away the game would shift to recognise that, you profile would alter to show your likes and dislikes, job offers would change and even 20 years down the line it would still be brought up, so that there would be an incentive to carefully consider your reponses because they carry long term consequences in the game- after all every chelsea manager since mourinho is always asked if they are a special one etc

player relationships: often you become a favourite of some player but it doesn't seem to really affect the game; if you leave that club I'd like to see that player issue a come and get me plea, and if you do link up again, it would be nice if the press brought up your past successes together and speculate if that could be repeated, questioning if a player who was successful in Italy could succeed in the premier league or vice-versa, or if they are now too old etc.

Agents: I'd like to see agents approaching you to try to sign their player, i've read many times that clubs have agreed terms with a player, but not with their club; I read recently for example that a club had apparently agreed terms with three players before negotiating with clubs over which would be the best/most affordable option.

Free agents: I think that if they are sufficiently well known that players who are without a club should approach you asking to be signed, telling you what they could bring to your club, the role they would be happy to fulfill etc, and please in FM10 if a player signs as a back up please could he be happy in that role, not demand first team football after five months.

Physios: If you are at a club with top class facilities, (Milanello etc) then I think the information you receive from your medical staff should be of a higher standard to reflect the increased technology at their disposal, to that end they should be able to tell you if a player is beginning to decline before you would necessarily notice in a game, or give you more detailed feedback on prospective signings/ current squad members, for example, this players aerobic performance is starting to decrease etc, so that you can use this information to offload him before other club notice, or change your plans on how best to use him etc

anyway I should probably be working, just a few thoughts!

I love the sound of those ideas, i've always thought clubs should get better reports etc and notice declines earlier when they have top facilities, like i'm sure Arsenal notice player decline way before a club like Luton (no offence intended).

Only issue i see is that it may be too late for FM'10 depending how far they are through making it, but maybe they might have thought of this themselves after the Real Madrid takeover you mentioned aswell.

Thanks for the nice comments, it's amazing that there is such an active community on here, all the suggestions i've seen people post will hopefully make for a great game this time round, though you're probably right that it might be a bit late for suggestions for FM10, but you never know!

Nice suggestions.

There is already a base for player manager relationships that I hope gets further development. Its great when someone thanks you for giving them their first cap, or when they sign at the club because they want to work under you. More development here could make 'man management' that bit more important as if you have a bad encounter with a player, he most likely will never sign with you again, regardless of club.

Isnt the agent thing technically illegal? If that was implemented then they should make an option to report the club to FIFA or whatever, like clubs IRL are trying to do atm.

I think the chairman issue goes two ways. If implemented, it makes the game more realistic and interesting, but on the other hand it still is a game. People want to have fun, but you cant if you can never manage the club you love cause of a stupid chairman bossing you around. I guess this can be overcome using the official editor for casual gamers.

Ryknow i see what you mean on the chairman issue preventing people enjoying the game, i think on some saves it might be annoying too, say for example i always start one game as sunderland (for me this chariman shouldnt be an issue if Quinn is programmed correctly as he seems to put all his faith in the manager) but if i had a chairman like Abramovich signing players over my head for huge sums of money i dont want (as he did with shevchenko to mourinho i believe) i would get quite fed up and if it was the club i loved it would make it less fun.

On the other hand i also have my career save starting unemployed working my way up and for this i think it would be brilliant having to deal with different chairman as i moved up my career dealing with different styles and different expectations. It almost feels as though there needs to be an option to simplify the game at times to make it more pick up and play type fun and an option for long term career games fun. I know that idea is unrealistic though as its like releasing two whole games.

I was thinking that with the chairman issue, when you sign, you would negotiate your level of control before you agree to take the job; if you are a high profile manager who the club are desperate to recruit, you could likely negotiate a much greater or total level of control than if you were a nobody taking over at the start of the game at a big club or a fall back option, so that you wouldn't have to face never having total control of your favourite club, but you might have to earn it in some specific cases (very high profile clubs with high profile, demanding chairmen who've made a lot of promises to supporters)

The point of introducing something like that would be to hopefully make each club have a different feel and to allow the game to adapt to reflect your growing or diminishing status, hopefully encouraging a longer save. I'm just hoping that it could mean that there would be much more variety and incentive in the game and less of a uniform feel to different clubs in different leagues.

Good point about the legality issue, real life agents of players might not like the game saying they're doing something they shouldn't!

I don't know if it is outlawed or not, I've seen so many reports in the press saying that an agreement is in place with a player and all the clubs have to do is agree a fee, but i'm not sure.

And of course at a lot of the clubs which would be affected by this idea, there's an election every five years or so, so you might get a different president, with a different personality and agenda-at the very least it would keep things fresh and interesting for a career save!

Some great ideas Jason, anyone know when the game is finalised? Do the people that count look at these pages for feedback/ ideas?

yes the "people that count" look at these pages, you can see SI staff posting in threads regularly, and the do take note of suggestions for future versions.

Jason, some great ideas in your post, and i hope this gets "tagged" as a thread the "powers that be" are watching and lookin at for the next FM :thup:

Perhaps on this would some people think the should include the role of the director of football? As several clubs, more continental europe than england i think seem to have a person in this role who does alot of signing players.

Also on the interaction when signing to manage a club i think it would be good to see potential signings being influenced by your amibtions and potential funding and ambition by the board. for example players probably aren't purely signing for man city because they personally were offered money or city's stature, but because city promised to keep buying "world class" players.

Definitely agree BlackCats, at the moment the game doesn't seem to recognise anything other than current club reputation when signing players; changing to recognise ambition/commitment to large spending by the board/president would be very welcome and much more realistic imo

I've played CM/FM since CM2 but since playing 09 I haven't managed to get a long term game going, I dont know if it's because my expectations have got a lot greater, but i've found i've got bored quite quickly. I've looked around on here and seen some great suggestions but i've got a few of my own, so here goes..

Chairman: Probably the thing I would like to see most is an increase in the role of chairmen: they play such a huge role in defining the character of a club but this is not currently sufficiently recognised imo. If a chairman has a high interference rating he might currently say that there are lots of good players around go and get one, but if he likes interfering and he has a favourite I'd like him to tell you to go and get him, with consequences if you fail. This would have the result that you would then be forced to carefully consider what sort of chairmen you would be working with when you consider a job offer.

President elections: If there are elections coming up, i'd like to see the game reflect this in a big way as it could completely transform the club and the playing staff. I'd like to see the proposals each candidate has, like promising to sign Kaka or Ronaldo, and they impact this will have on you- you might lose your job if he has promised a more high profile manager, or he might present you with a new purchase on becoming elected, as he may have negotiated the signing independently; you would then have to decide whether to accept this and include the player in your plans, or quit. This should also affect the current squad, for example at Real Madrid, the old president signed Huntelaar, Gago, Robben, Sniejder, but the new regime reportedly has different ideas etc

If the role of the president/chaiman became greater, you would have to think carefully about which jobs you accepted and the restrictions each different club imposed on your ability to be in charge of selection (such and such players MUST play etc) and transfers ( total control, some say or none) This is accurate to real life, Wenger has total say, Pellegrini at Madrid very little/none. This also goes for takeovers and the plans each new owner has.

No two clubs are the same, but I find in the game that whilst the name changes, not much else does.

Press conferences: I'd love it if they could be used to make the game more individually tailored to each user, to offer greater variety, for example if you were managing in la liga, if at a european match press conference you were asked by a foreign journalist if you would ever consider managing in England at some stage and you replied,

' No way, I would never manage in such an untechnical league in such a god forsaken country'', or ''I would never manage such and such a club'' or ''I would love to to, it would be a dream'' etc

then straight away the game would shift to recognise that, you profile would alter to show your likes and dislikes, job offers would change and even 20 years down the line it would still be brought up, so that there would be an incentive to carefully consider your reponses because they carry long term consequences in the game- after all every chelsea manager since mourinho is always asked if they are a special one etc

player relationships: often you become a favourite of some player but it doesn't seem to really affect the game; if you leave that club I'd like to see that player issue a come and get me plea, and if you do link up again, it would be nice if the press brought up your past successes together and speculate if that could be repeated, questioning if a player who was successful in Italy could succeed in the premier league or vice-versa, or if they are now too old etc.

Agents: I'd like to see agents approaching you to try to sign their player, i've read many times that clubs have agreed terms with a player, but not with their club; I read recently for example that a club had apparently agreed terms with three players before negotiating with clubs over which would be the best/most affordable option.

Free agents: I think that if they are sufficiently well known that players who are without a club should approach you asking to be signed, telling you what they could bring to your club, the role they would be happy to fulfill etc, and please in FM10 if a player signs as a back up please could he be happy in that role, not demand first team football after five months.

Physios: If you are at a club with top class facilities, (Milanello etc) then I think the information you receive from your medical staff should be of a higher standard to reflect the increased technology at their disposal, to that end they should be able to tell you if a player is beginning to decline before you would necessarily notice in a game, or give you more detailed feedback on prospective signings/ current squad members, for example, this players aerobic performance is starting to decrease etc, so that you can use this information to offload him before other club notice, or change your plans on how best to use him etc

anyway I should probably be working, just a few thoughts!

Some good ideas there. It's good to see some positive suggestions, rather than just criticism/mindless rants for a change :)

Press conferences are a complete joke. I (manager of Man Utd), managed to give a response to Rafa Benitez negative comments of "I hope you crash and burn" with a negative comment of my own. Gary neville was deeply upset that i'd managed to put down El Benitez and was unhappy following my comments.

YOUR KIDDING ME RIGHT!!!?

This is a football manament sim where rivalries do exist, NOT the sims where i have to be nice to everysingle person in the game. :thdn:

Archived