UI Requests for next game

This is for all the large monitor, high resolution players out there ;)

Take a look at this screenshot, I play on a 24" monitor at 1920*1200: http://yfrog.com/1518521077p

Unfortunately, it looks like the same problem is happening here: http://twitpic.com/a9jzt

The UI responds to these settings by making the "Name" field massively wide, this makes it unnecessarily inefficient to process information as you move your eyes across the width of the screen, sometimes losing track of the appropriate line for the appropriate player.

I think the "Name" column should only appear as wide as the longest name (mocked up screenshot): http://yfrog.com/bg64023401p

Even if what appears in my mock up were to happen, those big spaces are such a waste, which leads me to another wish...

Could you design your UI to dynamically fill these vacuous spaces? So, as I contract and expand the game window, FM would keep adding (or removing) things of relevance to better utilise the available space.

And a third wish along the same lines, I think you should allow users to make a custom "View". Allowing me to pick and choose any fields from "Assistant Reports", "Selection" and "Fitness" views (and all other views) and blend them together. This could also be another way that I could manually utilise the screen space better.

Miles, I hope you read this ;)

I've actually quite enjoyed tweaking the UI to fit my monitor; I've been able to add extra data to certain screens which seemed to make them more "useful", in my eye. Admittedly, I'm a power-user, but how many non-power-users have 24" monitors? :D

- It's too bright

- Customizing your UI is painful if you don't know how

- It's too bright

- A sort of tabbing, floating and fixing interface would be awesome, so I could drag out my inbox and stick it to the side, closing it when necessary, tabbing it away...

- It's too bright

- Lack of left/right control is stupid, especially considering the number of widescreen monitors out there

- It's too bright

- Forcing users to edit a file to configure which columns to show is so Windows 3.1

- It's too bright

- It's bloody bright

- Light skins are crap

Hope this helps.

@playmaker, I think you misunderstood the point I was making with my mocked up screenshot, I have edited my post to make it clearer

@Amaroq, Large screens are becoming more common, I must say that I don't think there is a link between user skill and monitor size!

@x42bn6, I agree that leaning more towards widgets would allow for a better interface. I don't think I share your hate for bright skins, but having a dead of night eye-friendly option seems sensible ;)

Archived