Players that gain English nationality

I am managing Arsenal and i have many young players that have only been capped at under 21 level and have gained english nationality through being in England so long. My question is can these players be called up to play for England? They have not yet gained full caps for the respective home nations. Reason i ask is i have been made england manager after winning many trophies and league titles with arsenal and mclaren doing awful icon_smile.gif do players have to be over a certain age and still not full capped to be eligible to play for England. Just wondering if this was possible after remembering about Almunia being a possible England goalkeeper as he hasn't been capped by Spain. Thanks in advance, Ash. icon_smile.gif

I am managing Arsenal and i have many young players that have only been capped at under 21 level and have gained english nationality through being in England so long. My question is can these players be called up to play for England? They have not yet gained full caps for the respective home nations. Reason i ask is i have been made england manager after winning many trophies and league titles with arsenal and mclaren doing awful icon_smile.gif do players have to be over a certain age and still not full capped to be eligible to play for England. Just wondering if this was possible after remembering about Almunia being a possible England goalkeeper as he hasn't been capped by Spain. Thanks in advance, Ash. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by canvey!!:

You can call up a player to the England squad as long as they haven't played a senior or under 21 game for another nation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's competitive u21 games which makes them ineligible. I'm sure I've called up players who've had u21 games for other countries.

IRL I don't think this can happen (as a player can't obtain an 'English' passport, and the agreement of whatever it is between the home nations to not use players in this way) but I'd imagine there'd be nothing to stop it happening in the game.

Personally I think it'd be more realistic if players playing in Britain for 5 (or more years) obtained 'Brittish' as their second nationality to stop this sort of thing happening.

Some players declare themselves for their first nation even when they gain second nationality and haven't played yet for their declared nation - these players you can't call up, but I, like others have seen players switch national teams between U21 caps and full caps, although I never noticed if they were all just U21 friendlies or not.

I bought an 18 year old Brazillian wonderkid who still hadn't been capped for Brazil aged 24. He was now an English citizen and he scored a hattrick on his debut for my England team. I know it's not in the spirit of the game, but it was a great exploit.

IRL It can happen look at deco(Portugal) who's from Brazil also eduardo(Croatia) it does happen in real life gmcker is right they have to play a competitive youth fixture to be declared for that country but there are exceptions like tim cahill who played for samoa u-14 or 16 in a competitive fixture and wasn't allowed to play for australia but on appeal to fifa was granted the chance to play for his home country. So i think it is a realistic part of the game because it does happen IRL.

I remember years ago Julian Joachim, who used to be my favourite player, was all set to play for St Kitts & Nevis (I think) at international level, only to discover he couldn't because of his caps at either U19 or U21 level (can't remember which now)

Hmmm. I found that it didn't matter what u21 caps they had, as long as they weren't in the u21 team at the time you could call them up.

So wait for an injury or a ban and grab them while you can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevio11:

IRL it can happen,remember cudicini of chelsea could have played for england after gaining Nationalty and the same for the current Arsenal keeper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it can't, as you obtain a British passport, not an English passport, and the home nations have a "gentleman's agreement" amongst themselves that they won't obtain players through this method. Only places I've seen people saying Almunia and Cudicini can play for England is in The Sun or something, not the most reliable source ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kassien:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevio11:

IRL it can happen,remember cudicini of chelsea could have played for england after gaining Nationalty and the same for the current Arsenal keeper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it can't, as you obtain a British passport, not an English passport, and the home nations have a "gentleman's agreement" amongst themselves that they won't obtain players through this method. Only places I've seen people saying Almunia and Cudicini can play for England is in The Sun or something, not the most reliable source ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They could technically play for England but I cant remember anyone actually doing it.

It happens in other countries though im pretty sure Amauri is just about to gain Italian citizenship and he will be called up to the squad when he has. (He is Brazillian born)

Technically they could, yeah. But it's the gentleman's agreement between the home nations, because technically Almunia could play for Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland too, he has a British passport not an English one. At least, that's my understanding of it. Amauri isn't a comparable situation because he has an Italian passport, and thus is perfectly eligible to play for Italy.

I thought the agreement only covered British-born players i.e. someone who'd been born in Scotland couldn't play for England. But for someone like Cudicini, he could play for England having been here long enough to gain British citizenship, but wouldn't play for Scotland as he hadn't been living there. Could be very wrong though, I admit to not being too bothered about the real life national teams anymore.

Hm, I'm only looking at it from a logical point of view, and to me it seems you couldn't gain English as a second nationality, rather you could only gain British, and for that reason you could play for any of the home nations, but the agreement means they'd never call these players up.. I could also be wrong there though, just seems the most logical conclusion.

That being said, as bad as England's rl keepers are, I'd rather not see a foreigner in goal for our national team anyway.

Archived