Gameplay vs Roleplay

How do your games go with regard to roleplaying, do you ever do it?

I'll give you an example. As Leeds one of the first signings I got a 33 year old player on a free who I thought would do a job covering injuries/suspensions etc. Turned out to be a real gem and from midfield banged in 12 goals before Christmas and set up loads too. Then he got an injury and was out for four months.

Just as he was coming back from injury I thought I'd see what I could get for him so offered him to clubs and got a decent price for him (this was before the end of the season, so it would go through in July).

A few games before the end of the season, we had already secured the league one title, and he was coming back from injury and as it was a home game, I gave him one last game. Just so the fans could say thank you and goodbye.

At the time I thought, am I bloody daft, it's a bunch of electric signals going through a circuit board...but I do stuff like that all the time.

Ah, yeah, for all its failings, FM can do that to me as well. Feel bad about the loyal servant who has been with you since you took over but now you could get some decent cash for him and you don't need him anymore. Give playing time to that player who isn't in your plans, hasn't been for some time, but was instrumental in that promotion season. Rejoice a little when you realize you haven't saved the game after you sold such a player and the save you have is before you actually sold him... and so on.

Funny aint it. I was sat there the other day calling my centre back every name under the sun as he wasn't giving enough effort...FFS it's a bunch of numbers being crunched and I'm talking to a coloured pixel as if it's a human and me shouting at it will get it to put more effort in!

This game is a wonderful example of suspension of disbelief if ever there was one!

A few games before the end of the season, we had already secured the league one title, and he was coming back from injury and as it was a home game, I gave him one last game. Just so the fans could say thank you and goodbye.

Basically I do this with every player that did something for me. Retirees especially

I was sat there the other day calling my centre back every name under the sun as he wasn't giving enough effort

Haha yes, I've done that, and it's the summer and the window is open. God knows what the neighbours think :D

I do feel sentimentality towards old legends, when you have a player for a few seasons it feels that you know them, if only playing-wise. If I have a few meaningless games at the end of the season I'll often give players who are leaving a last hurrah. One of my biggest legends in 09 was fading and played relatively little the previous season or 2 so I gave him higher priority for his last season, unfortunately rather then retiring, after being released he went to my rivals who aside from the fact that he pretty much never played, they're in a tight relegation battle, and I actually did feel a little irritated. Also I despite having to accomodate 2 equally good keepers one would normally have a bad game halfway through the season to allow the other to play, however gradually one became clearly the best, with both reaching mid-30's (the well-discussed issue of lack of good regen GK's meaning they were less likely to be replaced) I decided to let the marginalized goalkeeper go (who had been there a couple of seasons longer then the other one) because I felt he deserved better then becoming a permanant understudy and wanted him to have a chance at reasonable level 1st team football before he declined too much. I used to go further, on my 06/07 'supersquad' games I'd have ex-players on a shortlist so I could play a 'tribute' friendly against their current club when I saw they were due to retire. Thats the beauty of FM, is like a gripping narrative that keeps unfolding and is likely to produce memorable seasons/cup runs/games/players at any moment.

I don't get the point. Obviously our FM players are REAL. I know this because when I watch the 2D images on my TV I have to passively observe without having any effect on the outcome, like a Disney movie. But in FM I am really influencing MY players. I'm a manager in reality - it isn't a game, it isn't a role, it's REAL. Alas, the wages are virtual; I could do with 6 MIL quid resting in my bank, but still ...

I end up loving the hidden legends on FM IRL... this year it's Pogrebnyak (gutted Blackburn were unable to sign him, was proper excited when we were linked a few weeks ago) and Kalinic (who we did sign :)). Marquinhos is another one who I currently love but doubt will go anywhere... kinda like Porarinsson, Kristjansson, Adu, Runar Berg... etc etc :D

Archived