Championship Manager 2010 and Football Manager 2010

Personally I will be buying both games this year as I do every year and I must say CM looks more impressive than it has in a long time. Will anybody else be buying both games or has anyone even taken a peek at the new CM. There are some features that I think Fm could implement such as the CM Season Live which sounds very interesting but I am sure FM will have a few wow factors up its sleeve as well. I have un-installed FM 09 from my laptop as I've played it far too much and I never really got a save going in it although its a great game I found the tactics to be a pain and therefore cannot wait for the Tactics Wizard next year as it is much more realistic than moving sliders(I'm sure those of you who play FM Live would know)

Anybody have any thoughts on either game?

I am waiting to hear a bit more about both games. I guess I will buy the one that seems the most impressive first and then if that doesnt live up to the hype i will move onto the next one. I think FM will have some big competition from CM over the next couple of years though.

I think CM looks very good this year and the match engine looks very nice, but BGS are very good at talking a good game but fail to deliver. I don't expect it to be as in depth or challenging as FM judged on previous attempts.

I would love to be proved wrong, but I doubt I will be.

I may buy FM10. I had planned to call it a day with FM due to the complex and time consuming tactics and my lack of real life time to learn how to play a game, but having played FML I am going to give the demo a go and take it from there. The wizard should prove to be helpful to someone like me, of course if I could just use my current tactic set that would be awesome.

I shall certainly be giving both demos a go and see how they compare. After realising my computer being too weak to play FM09 to reasonable level, i'll have to buy a new computer before i buy FM10, which won't be any time soon. I think if CM have a chance to break FMs dominance, then it will be this year, but who knows, i wouldn't be suprised if CM was just as crap as it has always been.

I never considered buying another cm game since the split I always bought FMs. but I have been thinking about getting CM10 this time round. I don't think it will have anything better than fm though so i don't know.

what actually is cm season live?

You get the pleasure of giving them money and they update all the results each month so you can start a game from the current real life position whatever it is.

Personally I would say its just another gimmick but them again judging by how desperate some of these forums are to have up to date transfers then maybe it will work.

You get the pleasure of giving them money and they update all the results each month so you can start a game from the current real life position whatever it is.

Personally I would say its just another gimmick but them again judging by how desperate some of these forums are to have up to date transfers then maybe it will work.

That sounds interesting. New games after the winter transfers are never the same. Like Keane being at Liverpool, it's like it never happened in the game. And then the league table becomes different than real life because Tottenham have Keane for the whole season instead of just half.

I am delighted that both new games potentially should be at least "interesting" (previous Post SI CM games have not appealed to me at all although I have bought a few from bargain buckets just to be reassured how awful they really are). I still love cm0102 so that is always there as a fall back, usually after 4 moths of the new FM I get fed up with it and go back to cm0102, the exception being FM06 which I now have as my staple 2d option (I do miss 2d when I dont have it). 3d I will live without until it is of a sufficient quality to be worthwhile - am not a big fan of FM09 as you can tell although initially it semed to be OK.

It annoys me when posters say CM/FM games contain gimmicks, or petition about the exclusion of certain options whether they are in the game or just proposed. Options are OPTIONS, they are optional!!!!! As long as they are not intrinsic to success in the game then there is nothing wrong with them and they should be retained!!!

CM Live is free I believe.

I read a preview of CM2010 in PCGamer couple of months back.

They quite impressed with it, stated it was the best version that Eidos had published since the spilt and described it as on a current par with FM2009.

Now for that, its something good from their point of view but for a player of FM2009 I don't think thats something to boast about.

FM2009 for me was and is a huge let down, the worst version to date of the FM series.

I won't be trying out CM2010 unless it comes to me highly rec.

On the other hand I won't be forking out my cash for FM2010 either, unless SIGames shows its learnt its lessons & don't push out a bug ridden game.

CM Live is free I believe.

I can't see any confirmation one way or another on the CM website but in an article here:

MCV

Roy is quoted as saying:

Gem News MPU August 09

“We’re still finalising the price for CM Season Live, but we expect it to be priced at around £5 for all 6 monthly updates. Players can be sure of is that they’ll be looking at less than a half time pint and pie at most football grounds.”

Its also been brought up on their forums and no-one from BGS has denied that there will be a charge.

Just looking at the CM forums its really quiet for a game that coming out in the next few weeks and a demo due before that which can't be good.

Only three threads in the CM10 forum have had posts today while six were posted in all day yesterday. In fact on the first page alone last posts go back over a week.

Whilst I would like to see competition for SI I have little faith its going to happen when you get quotes like this from developers especially given the extra time they have had:

we haven’t touched board relations in CM 10

CM seems to have a lot of bells and whistles on it, and they've had two years to sort the match engine and transfer system. But to take advantage of each and every feature you'll take a month to complete a season. I predict:

1. there will a ton of ME exploits generated by the new free kick system.

2. the transfer system will be no better or worse than what FM comes up with.

3. the flashy international scouting system will be the same as the current scouting system with a pretty table cloth over it.

4. the ME will not be as good as FM.

That last one is just a feeling.

Was never interested in the CM games after the split. But this one actually does look pretty good. I love the new scouting style they have and also the set pieces, the practice games, and the training. All of them look very good. So I'll be grabbing CM this time around. I think FM just disappointed me too much lately. And also why can bloody eidos release information about their game yet SI always have some stupid issue with waiting till the last month to announce anything. Really gets under my skin it does. What, the other companies going to steal their ideas? The damn game doesnte volve enough with new features to be considered worth stealing. Fix the training damnit.

Was never interested in the CM games after the split. But this one actually does look pretty good. I love the new scouting style they have and also the set pieces, the practice games, and the training. All of them look very good. So I'll be grabbing CM this time around. I think FM just disappointed me too much lately. And also why can bloody eidos release information about their game yet SI always have some stupid issue with waiting till the last month to announce anything. Really gets under my skin it does. What, the other companies going to steal their ideas? The damn game doesnte volve enough with new features to be considered worth stealing. Fix the training damnit.

Well, for FM 09 IIRC the videos were released late August/possibly early September, and the game came out in November, so that is a couple of months.

Anyway, I prefer the wait, gets me more excited waiting for the videos.

I have gone with FM blindly pretty much every year, but after 09 a lot is going to depend on what I see in the demo. To be honest, if the 3D isn't a marked improvement to the (IMO) shambles it is at the moment then I will probably give it a miss, ditto with the ever recurring injuries. I may try CM, but as always will give FM the first chance to impress.

I remember getting what I think was CM08 from a friend and thinking it was terrible. I barely got past my first friendly before shutting it down and returning to FM08. Haven't checked out any CM games since, but if the fun factor doesn't return to FM I could definitely be tempted.

I'll download both demos, but until I get my DVD drive fixed, I'll be buying neither.

I can't see CM doing well this year either. Their forums are dead. The Q&A thread had hardly any questions in them, and the questions that were asked all came from the same members whilst with the demo out in a week or two, you'd think there would be a massive buzz about the place, but there's absolutley none. Sadly, whether the game turns out good or not, I think it's going to be another flop, and I wouldn't be othersuprised if the series doesn't last much longer.

I will be honest FM 09 hasen't really been my cup of tea this year(partly due to the fact I got an xbox with fifa 09) but next year I can see huge competition, but the question is which will I be buying next year? well after not being hat impressed by fm 09 nor being that impressed by cm 08, I feel I should try out both, from what I have heard about it I think both games will be neck and neck, but the only way that we will know who's really won the best sim, would be by thier sales and from the looks of it if you compare their selling points to fm's...

Fm 2010-

*Tactic wizard

*Lots of leagues and realism

*And huge databse of LOTS of players and staff

CM 2010-

*New look

*Cm Live season

*3D look at your tactical or training decisions BEFORE the match(ie so if you made a training routine you would get to see a 3d animation of how it would do in a match)

while FM would win off the hardcore gamer, CM's new look and flashy features could easily win over the casual gamer and this is why I believe it will be very close.

(another reason I will be looking at both is the fact that CM 2010 will have the isthmian league and northern and southern playable! but I will probably buy both)

I think the tactics wizard could be a big step in helping FM win over casual gamers.

It has been moving recently to the more hardcore/sim side but from I've seen on the forums people have had good things to say about the wizard in FML and I expect it to make tactic building a lot quicker & easier than it has been in the past.

while FM would win off the hardcore gamer, CM's new look and flashy features could easily win over the casual gamer and this is why I believe it will be very close.

CM will only win over the casual gamer initially because they hire clever marketing men in suits to do just that. They fool you in to believing that all these new flashy gimmicks will reinvent the entire game and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread. Then you buy it and you'll inevitably be left feeling disappointed by the lack of substance and longevity because most teams won't be properly researched and the actual engine will be a farce, leaving you with a fancy looking training screen and a hole in your pocket after you pay for every CM live update.

SI are bringing in new features which will make FM more accessible to the casual gamer anyway. The new tactics interface being the major addition.

(another reason I will be looking at both is the fact that CM 2010 will have the isthmian league and northern and southern playable! but I will probably buy both)

You do realise that they are having trouble finding researchers for even top tier English teams? So what are the chances of the isthmian league being even remotely accurate?

CM will only win over the casual gamer initially because they hire clever marketing men in suits to do just that. They fool you in to believing that all these new flashy gimmicks will reinvent the entire game and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread. Then you buy it and you'll inevitably be left feeling disappointed by the lack of substance and longevity because most teams won't be properly researched and the actual engine will be a farce, leaving you with a fancy looking training screen and a hole in your pocket after you pay for every CM live update.

SI are bringing in new features which will make FM more accessible to the casual gamer anyway. The new tactics interface being the major addition.

You do realise that they are having trouble finding researchers for even top tier English teams? So what are the chances of the isthmian league being even remotely accurate?

Dude, you can't really say anything till you actually play the game.. and for the researchers no one actually can rate a player in their dribblling, finishing ect skills. and the CM live update is £6 one time cost, I feel like the way you posted that CM has done something to hurt you or something that's why you dislike them :p. Anyway I'm just trying to say it's better to have 2 football manager sims which can be great.

Dude, you can't really say anything till you actually play the game.. and for the researchers no one actually can rate a player in their dribblling, finishing ect skills. and the CM live update is £6 one time cost, I feel like the way you posted that CM has done something to hurt you or something that's why you dislike them :p. Anyway I'm just trying to say it's better to have 2 football manager sims which can be great.

If you think the devs of CM can create a realistic engine in the space of a year, something which has taken SI many years to achieve even with a thriving community of football enthusiasts to help them, then you're living in cloud cuckoo land

But I agree it's good for FM to have competition, but realistically I wouldn't expect CM to be major competition for at least a couple more years

while that's true about CM atleast there trying to make genuine improvements, when I played FM 09 it felt exactly the same as fm 08 the only difference was an update(imo), I'm not saying that FM arn't trying to make improvements but every year their games feel exactly the same and yes I know that fm is trying to bring in more casual gamers with their new features but the difference is FM will mostly draw hardcore gamers as they have a good reputation for doing that and by the way I'm not saying that CM will be a great game I said they will be close I mean when CM 08 was reviewd along with fm 08 many reviewers gave CM 08 scores of 6's or 7's(mostly 7's) while FM usally would get 1 or 2 points higher, while cm is trying to win over people with it's 'flashy new look' atleast they are trying to move away from being a spreadsheet with stats (no offence to FM), for example when FM put out their 3D engine it wasen't necessarily a wise move, because while they did a good first attempt (next year's game they probably will improve it) it was buggy and quite slow to load up, CM's match engine was far from perfect (now that's true!) but every year they have been improving it and hopefully this year both match engine's will be neck and neck, while their community is nothing compared to si's if cm 09 is good then their community will grow.

And to answer the second part well if they have spent nearly two years on a game and adding Live season what do you think? they wouldn't add something like live season if they didn't have enough researchers, of course the isthmian league won't be completly accurate but they have to start from somewhere atleast they've added another level, and about burning a hole in your pocket if you read about it they currently don't have a pricepoint but they are thinking of pricing it at £5 for all six leagues that are available on monthly updates, now does a £5 really burn a hole in your pocket? and lastly I'm a nuetralist I don't support ethier game (infact I have always played FM over CM) but I can see it being atleast more closer then last time, I will probably both both anyway's, because both sound good, I just hope that FM 2010 will be better then 09, who know it may even be better then the legendary FM 07!

If you think the devs of CM can create a realistic engine in the space of a year, something which has taken SI many years to achieve even with a thriving community of football enthusiasts to help them, then you're living in cloud cuckoo land

But I agree it's good for FM to have competition, but realistically I wouldn't expect CM to be major competition for at least a couple more years

it's been 2 years actually mate.. since they didn't release 09.

I’ll be buying just CM, because I am actually very impressed by what I have seen. And unless the demo or the game itself manages to change my views, I plan not to buy FM.

Will certainly give both demos a try before deciding, but can't really say it's impossible i'll buy both :p

And i will probably stick with the one that is the most fun for me. Time will tell which one it'll be.

There's never been any choice for me before tbh, there was just something about the last few CM games that meant I was never going to buy them and it has always been FM, but SI really have better made an incredible game with a much better looking 3D match engine otherwise I thnk I could very well be buying CM, as it looks great.

Edit: And I've just remembered about the step 7 leagues being added as well, always wanted to manage those leagues.

I'll almost certainly buy both. I haven't bought a CM in quite a while because every year the match engine just didn't seem right, but having had two years now to overhaul things it'll seem like a fresh new game. Of course, the demo's there on Friday to test things heavily, which I certainly shall be doing.

It's a shame it's effectively competing for the same space as FM by coming out at the same time of the year. Of course, that makes sense for a football management title but still... it'd get a lot more of my time if I wasn't being lured in by a whole new FM season.

I'll almost certainly buy both. I haven't bought a CM in quite a while because every year the match engine just didn't seem right, but having had two years now to overhaul things it'll seem like a fresh new game. Of course, the demo's there on Friday to test things heavily, which I certainly shall be doing.

It's a shame it's effectively competing for the same space as FM by coming out at the same time of the year. Of course, that makes sense for a football management title but still... it'd get a lot more of my time if I wasn't being lured in by a whole new FM season.

Is the demo out this friday?

it's been 2 years actually mate.. since they didn't release 09.

Yeah, but they nicely made all their "fans" believe they were releasing it in march.

Didn't I even see adverts in shops proclaiming the release?

Totally left on the back foot somewhere, but hey ho, FM goes on.

Also, the CM10 box "looks" good but a cheap tart in a Versace dress can "look" good.

Time Will Tell.

And how many Golden Joysticks has CM? ;)

Archived