Results from player searches / Scouting

Hi there,

When searching for players in the player search screen what governs how many results are shown up?

Is the scouting knowledge of the club set in stone with the available scouts, or is it possible to expand it by sending out scouting trips?

Cheers in advance.

First results in search. This is deperndant on your scouting knowledge. The David Villas etc. wil always come up, as will all domestic players (i.e. those from your clubs country), and your fellow compatiriots will all show up too. For all other countries you are dependant on scouting knowledege (so in order to spot the brilliant Finnish regen winger before Celtic buy him for £250k knowledge is power), which leads on to...

Second your clubs knowledge will change over time. You can manage this in three ways i) scouting trips (I suggest regions rather than countries, slower to build up knowledge of a country but you dont have to re-sentd the scout every year); ii) hiring scouts with good knowledge of areas where the clubs knowledge is low (e.g. Fulham hiring a Brazilian scout to give their S. American knowledge a fong up the rear end) and iii) getting links with clubs with a good scouting network preferably foreign (e.g. Huddersfield becoming feeder of Barcelona will open up a lot of options for european shortlists).

Just to add to what has already been said here, don't forget that all staff have scouting knowledge, including you. For example, hiring Danish coaches and physios will give you more Danish players appearing in the player search since the staff members will bring you increased knowledge of Denmark. The same goes for your own nationality and favourite club.

It can be great in the lower leagues. I remember a few versions ago when you could sign Bulgarian Bontcho Guentchev as a player/coach who would give you access to loads of Bulgarian players who were extremely handy for the lower leagues in England.

Just to add to what has already been said here, don't forget that all staff have scouting knowledge, including you. For example, hiring Danish coaches and physios will give you more Danish players appearing in the player search since the staff members will bring you increased knowledge of Denmark. The same goes for your own nationality and favourite club.

Though in FM09 physios and fitness coaches only give you a tiny bit of knowledge, you also no longer get knowledge through making friends with other managers which was an easy way of buidling your knowledge :(

Archived