When can I approach players with expiring contracts?

Okay, so I have reached Jan/Feb of my first season (playing in England), and I thought I would be able to begin to approach players with contracts expiring in June to sign for next season. On the other hand, the AI clubs have been approaching and signing my players for a July free transfer (which is exactly what I am trying to do)! I thought at first the difference was that my players in question were transfer listed, however, I can't approach even transfer listed players with expiring contracts.

I don't know the transfer rules too well in England, but I seem to remember in prior versions of FM/CM being able to approach within 6 months of an expiring contract. Can anyone enlighten me, or explain why the AI is playing by a different set of transfer rules?

I am managing Chelmsford, and the AI in question was Queen's Park. So because it is England to Scotland, they can approach my players earlier? And I suppose I could approach their's as well... (If the damn board would let me scout outside of England!)

Archived