Martin O'Neills CELTIC Diablo? [Fast, gung-ho, solid defensively and attacking art]

Background

I remember sitting during the years of Martin O'Neills reign at Celtic and thinking.. how do we get men all over the place? The line-up was like this.

GK: Douglas

CB: Varga

CB: Balde

WBR: Agathe

WBL: Guppy

DMC: Lennon

MC: Lambert

MC: Petrov

AMC: Sutton

ST: Hartson

ST: Larsson

It was amazing watching this team play, how they played and most of all how fast and how well they conquered the counter attack.

The Tactic

23h16l5.png

When attacking it is effectively a 3-2-5 with the wing-backs very wide, alongside the strikers and the AMC who all should be in the box and outside the box would be the two MC's. The DMC sits beside the two DC's all covering a quick counter attack if we lose the ball.

As soon as the team loses the ball the wing backs get back alongside the DC's and the DMC acts as a DC and the two MC's as DMC's so the box will be crowded with our players defending and the opposition wingers will be closed down by the wing-backs. This should mean the tactic turns into a 5-2-1-2, and you will see once we receive the ball it is punted up towards our strikers and turns into the 3-2-5 formation again.

The Team Instructions

25grngo.png

As you can see it is obviously first an attacking tactic, very quick and crosses are a plenty. You may not create a lot of CCC's but with the amount of crosses that are put in, you get alot of easy tap ins.

Which players to use?

GK - Any goalkeeper really, doesn't matter as long as he is good.

DC - Big and strong with a bit of pace around them, like Ramos or Ferdinand.

WB - Players like Evra or Srna, with good crosses and stamina as they will be going up and down that wing all day long.

DMC - The DMC can actually be a DC, I find it works well as they are usually defending in the box but if you are going to use a DMC he would have to be good at passing, heading and pretty tall and strong.

MC - doesn't really matter if they have good passing.

AMC - You can either have a really technical playmaker like Riquelme or a big strong ox like Sutton was. I tend to use Beckham here as he gets on the end of alot of shots at the penalty spot area but if you were to use a taller, stronger striker type player I would put his mentality up.

ST - I'd go for big strikers, like Ibrahimovic or Vagner Love.

Conclusion

I don't feel I have tested this enough as I usually would but I am really excited about this and hope that you guys would do some testing and help develop this further. I feel it is the best tactic I have made/used (sorry heathxxx ;)) and hope you can have many successes with it. I would recommend this with attacking teams like R. Madrid, Inter, Barca and Celtic.

Cheers, Bhoy.

Download links

Rapidshare - http://rapidshare.com/files/264184181/martin_oneils_5-2-1-2_v4__Celtic__Mar_2009_.tac.html

Megaupload - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7Q7GPW31

easyshare - http://www.easy-share.com/1907210131/martin oneils 5-2-1-2 v4 (Celtic, Mar 2009).tac

AWAY VERSION - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=94L22OLM

UPDATED TACTIC - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VLPSW6PG

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the biggest possible, it makes a lot of space for the wing backs to attack and for through balls to be played into.

viiralx - do you use the away tactic for the away matches or just the original tactics?

Neil Lennon was infront of the 2 CB's acting as a further forward CB and Agathe and Laursen/Guppy would act as wingers when attacking and LB/RB when defending.. similar to this system as I have explained in the OP.

That was during the UEFA Cup campaign where we needed to be more cautious about teams. In the league I think you'll see nearer the end of MON's Celtic (last 2 or 3 seasons) this is the system that we played.

Celtic (3-5-2): Douglas; Mjallby, Balde, Valgaeren; Agathe (Sylla, 74), Lambert, Lennon, Petrov (Fernandez, 78), Thompson; Larsson, Hartson.

In Europe he took Sutton out of the side and used more defensive players in midfield ie. Petrov AMC, Lennon MC & Mjallby D/DM C.

What a season I have had with R. Madrid with this tactic. Barcelona who? :D

Overview

k9aomq.png

League table

fbwacx.png

Squad

ri95x1.png

I played my youngsters in the Spanish Cup and as you can see my season was really successful and I was miles better than Barcelona which is hard first season. I also have an updated tactic which I believe is better than the original.

updated tactic - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VLPSW6PG

I only use the away version for tough away matches, but I guess you could use it for every away match and I use Tugs Training 2009.

Do you train your wing-backs as full-backs or wingers?

Wijnand fens - I'm not sure if it works with lower teams but I'd imagine so looking at viiralx's results. Try it out.

franklin - I am using a downloaded transfer update, find it in the editors forum.

ifrgis.png

SE Gama

:) 1 of my 2 favorite Brazilian football teams.

viiralx - do you use the away tactic for the away matches or just the original tactics?

original.

imnopro - Some people do fail at it imnopro. I also won the IFA Interim League (lowest Northern-Irish League) and Mid-Ulster Cup with Lurgan Celtic, so as far as I can tell it works with lower league clubs.

DKB - I've won numerous league titles in different games with only a few signings with SC's and CIS Cups aswell.

imnopro - Some people do fail at it imnopro. I also won the IFA Interim League (lowest Northern-Irish League) and Mid-Ulster Cup with Lurgan Celtic, so as far as I can tell it works with lower league clubs.

DKB - I've won numerous league titles in different games with only a few signings with SC's and CIS Cups aswell.

ill give it ago with peterbrough who in championship will keep you updated

Archived