Can a player who makes a mistake in a match ever come back?

I've found that once a player screws up and makes a mistake to cause a goal for the opposition it's all but impossible for them to come back and attain a good match rating. I know it's a hit to the confidence of the player when that happens but that shouldn't distroy their game entirely. I often find I may as well just sub the player as soon as they've made the mistake as their performance is irrevocabley shaken beyond repair for the rest of that game which doesn't seem to immitate real life.

Hmm, I am torn on this, some times, I can and have been able to motivate them, I have. BUT, it's a rare occasion that is has happened to me. Sometimes it's worth subbing them even if it is in the first 10 minutes, but some times they can turn it around, so to answer your question.... yes.

But rarely though, and I'm a nicely, nicely manager and let's be real here in my comments, and past history in game events.

If you actually watch carefully, the player who makes the mistake does not necessarily have a bad game at all! However, the overall match rating suffers.

It's only an issue if you care about the overall rating - if not, there's nothing to say the mistake will make the player have a howler for the rest of the match.

If you actually watch carefully, the player who makes the mistake does not necessarily have a bad game at all! However, the overall match rating suffers.

It's only an issue if you care about the overall rating - if not, there's nothing to say the mistake will make the player have a howler for the rest of the match.

Having watched most of my games on extended highlights now I have to agree that players that make mistakes can quite often not put another foot wrong but still get hammered on the match rating. This really does get on my nerves as avg rating is one of the key things I look at when picking my team and making new signings.

I've had DC that have been an absolute rock in defence only to make one mistake that leads to a goal and end up with a rating of just over 4.

Unfortunately we have to care about overall rating. If we don't fine players for poor performance we will end up with "worried about lack of manager discipline" and a poor "squad discipline" attribute.

It might not affect his overal performance in the match, but it can adversely affect morale and our position. Imo it's an issue that SI should be looking at.

Unfortunately we have to care about overall rating. If we don't fine players for poor performance we will end up with "worried about lack of manager discipline" and a poor "squad discipline" attribute.

It might not affect his overal performance in the match, but it can adversely affect morale and our position. Imo it's an issue that SI should be looking at.

I could be wrong here but I really don't see how fining a player for poor performances falls under "squad discipline". Surely that has to do with sending offs and missing training?

I have never had players worried about lack of discipline in my squad, nor have I ever fined a player for poor performances. It seems like a really unprofessional thing to do. I mean, if the guy is training well and things just aren't going for him I don't see how fining him will make it better.

IMHO

I could be wrong here but I really don't see how fining a player for poor performances falls under "squad discipline". Surely that has to do with sending offs and missing training?

I have never had players worried about lack of discipline in my squad, nor have I ever fined a player for poor performances. It seems like a really unprofessional thing to do. I mean, if the guy is training well and things just aren't going for him I don't see how fining him will make it better.

IMHO

I beg to differ. "Squad discipline" relates to anything that you can fine/warn a player for i.e. if you can give the player a ticking off, then you probably should. Not fining/warning for poor performance or sending off is often discussed as a reason for poor morale/lack of squad discipline, on these forums.

I always wondered why for no apparent reason some of my players were saying 'worried by lack of managerial dicipline', that must be why, thanks elrith!

No worries. It's a bit of a bummer tbh, I don't usually like fining, but this feature means that you have to fine or end up with a dip in morale. The worst thing about it is that there's no way of rectifying it without fining a player and it could take months for a player to get sent off or perform badly, so you're stuck with a squad full of players that are "worried". Best off fining/warning whenever you have the chance.

Archived