Identifying a good player through attributes.

I am relatively new to this game, and one thing I am really wondering about is how can you tell a player will be suitable for your team through loking at the attributes?

So Messi and Ronaldo are the two best players in real life right? I took a look at their attributes in FM09. Both players attributes are very high, but hwop can you classify if a player is any good or not.

And what about young players? What are good attributes to have when your 17, 18, 19, 20 or 21?

In Fifa games it's very easy to determine hwo good a player is simply by loking at their rating. For example 92, or 68.

Firstly, when i first started playing the game (CM00/01) i always would refer to the manual which had a list of which attributes were key to each position. (i.e strikers= Finishing, pace, composure, off the ball)

Also it depends on the level you are eplaying the game at, for instance, if you are in the premier league as Arsenal for example you would aim for those attributes to be around 15+, whereas if you were being Leyton Orient in League 1 you would be happy with 10-15.

Although attributes are what makes a player be portrayed technically in the match engine, the true ability of a player relies in his Current Ability (CA) and his Potential Ability (PA) both ranged between 0-200. this is simply a rating of how much ability a player has now and what his maximum potential can be. Younger players tend to have lower CA than PA because they will develop. and players CA at their peak will be near their PA.

The only in game way of determining CA and PA is through scout reports, whcih are not always accurate. The better your scouts rating in judging PA and CA determine how accurate his reports are.

Another point i have i about Values of players, although the value does partially rely on the ability of a player, it mainly concerns their "reputation" so when looking for hiddens gems the higher value doesnt always mean the better PA or CA.

Complicated i know, well compared to fifa, buts it what makes this game great.

I hope this was helpful

To be honest what Laker said is more or less bang on. I like Fifa I also like FM. However the level detail or depth of information. Honesly have a little look through the manual and the players statistics, and think about how a player with X, Y & Z ability is able to be effective for you in how you play the team and how they will be affective and not effective in that position/role.

I've played FM for a long time, and I am still learning. All the time, however initally it can be daunting at first it will click. Fifa is very simplyfied in comparison. With the oeverall numbers but they drop when the player is played out of formation, in my experience FM doesn't show that other than a red/orange/yellow/green dot ;)

You sound very wise pyewackett :)

yeah sound, hes right in the sense that it depends on weather you want the player to fit the team or the team to fit the player. Look at what tactics you play and use common sense more than anything when selecting a player. If you play a high line = Pacey defenders, Lots of creative freedom = High Creativty, technique and flair. closing down high = high stamina, tackling and marking.

Good luck, message me if you need anymore advice ;)

So when looking at a player say to put out on the wing, first of you should look at the stats important to a player like that. Eg. pace, acceleration, flair?

Here's an example: So I'm playing as Liverpool and I've just sold Xabi Alonso. I'm looking for a player to replace him. In real life there are 3 main canditates; Poulsen, Aqualani and Defour. How would I go about deciding who I should make my number 1 priority? As in real life these players occupy similiar roles to their teams (Defensive Midfielder/Central Midfielder anda are retalively similiar). So how to go about it?

This is just an example, and I'd like to beable to do this ingame for an team/player/position?

And finally: If i sell a player in the game, how do you think I should go about replacing him with a similair player if I don't know a player in real life?

And finally: If i sell a player in the game, how do you think I should go about replacing him with a similair player if I don't know a player in real life?

You use your scouts to identify potential targets then scout them further to identify which suits your team.

To be honest, FM is a cruel mistress. Very cruel indeed. Some people play the game one way others play it the other. So you have the typical scenario of I'm the boss. Well the manager and I want to play the team as in there 'Traditional/Known' style of play so you'll buy and sell these types of players that will be able to play that way/in that position/as this specific role, because they always will have..... Or

You play it my/your way, as in I want to create a new play style or in my normal experience oh bugger, I've an injury to make an adjustment. But they don't fight. Let's be honest. FM can kick when your're and it's a mind field. Your're going to have to try and see it's really hard. Attributes are one thing, and real life players are too. But what happens when you have regens, what then your are back to square on again.

So.... If your in the I am going to keep as is then the team has always played this way, and always will do. Then your going to need to scout. Scout & Scout, and scout some more. Offer trials... Etc...etc...

If your going to do it my way become the next Wenger or Fergeson, that's a whole new beast.

To be totally honest. There is no simple answer, have snoop around the forums, run some searches on the forums on here, I wouldn't say I am wise though I am becoming wiser as is I don't download tactics I create my own, I don't just some blokes word for it on the internet however I do accept there own wisdom and discovery, but it is that you are going to have to discover some of this yourself, as that's the beauty of this cruel, yet addictive game... Such as you don't know untill you try yourself, however make a mistake and you'll certainly know about it.

Honestly, have a look at some stickies and heavily posted in threads, and it will be of use, it was for me, but.... For what you want to acheive then, only you have answer.

I hope the above ^ post makes sense I don't want to sound pretentious. I am certainly am no know-it-all, but I have made many, Many mistakes, in a way I am glad that I have made them.

However being reltively new then use the game manual, read some guides on here, but remember it is how they played the game not how you will play it or want to. There really is no simple answer to it.

This is what I think of:-

()I the manager and I have in game experience, such as 'Auto' ,'International Experience' So what are the board, fans, players going to expect.

()Moral

()Current players that you have, and have to work with, players that you can bring.

()Money, don't get to giddy, or get giddy. Spend what you can afford, then it's contracts.

()Team talks, and there affects

Honestly this game is so deep, but it'll come in time. Attributes and playing a certain style of game, is just the tip of the iceberg.

Archived