Problem using Steam after new install of FM09

Hey guys,

I recently got a new laptop so I had to do a fresh install of FM09. Last time I used Steam to activate FM and receive updates so I had to use Steam again to be able to use FM. But when I try to log on to Steam, it says "Login to Steam failed". When I activated my Steam account the first time, I used a PDF printer to print the Steam receipt. So I still have that file and according to that file my account name is correct. So I figured I might have provided the wrong password but when I try the "Retrieve lost account" option in Steam, I don't receive an email although I use the same contact email address as the one in the Steam receipt. I've also tried to retrieve my account using the Steam account name from the receipt but that also failed.

Does anyone have a clue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Don't know to be honest :) How can I check this? I checked C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\ but that directory only contains uninstall information. I also checked C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\ but there's no files there. I suppose Steam wants me to log on so it can download the game for me but that doesn't work.

Yet another example of paying customers being punished by the use of DRM.

Anyway, can you activate over the phone or by using Uniloc? If not you may have to get in touch with Steams customer services / helpdesk if they have one, that's probably the best place to get help.

IIRC, I can't use Uniloc anymore because I used Steam the first time I installed FM. I got my Steam account name, contact email address and confirmation code all in the Steam receipt. And of course I've also got the original product key. Isn't there any other way?

You should be contacting Steam really. They will be of more help.

As said above though, you could use Uniloc to activate but you would need to apply the patches yourself. The previous method you used to install/activate should have no bearing.

Activation code? You mean my FM serial? I tried but it keeps telling me that it's not right. I've also got a confirmation code in the Steam receipt, but I suppose that's of no use here. I'm going to reinstall FM yet again, select the Steam option and contact Steam support for help because this is frigging annoying :(

But what is Uniloc? Is it the SoftAnchor screen I get when I try to start FM? Haven't seen anything with the name of Uniloc.

The SoftAnchor screen is what comes up when you activate via Uniloc.

I haven't got a clue to be honest, but after trying to enter my serial for the nth time I've given up. I've asked Steam support for help so when I receive an answer I'll be sure to let you guys know. Thanks for your help!

By the way, could it be that the phone option isn't available because I'm not in the UK?

Thanks Neji, that link worked. Seems I didn't get the serial right at any of the n times I tried to enter it :D So I installed FM and did the online activation thingy and everything's fine now :)

Still don't understand why Steam didn't work anymore though. Got an email from Steam support:

In order to investigate this issue, we must verify your ownership of the CD Key.

Please handwrite your Support Ticket Number 6760-RMLF-0306 on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key (the number should not be written on a separate piece of paper or inserted with an image editor) and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key in .jpg format. Please ensure that you submit a full-color image, rather than a photocopy.

After verifying your proof of ownership we will gladly assist you with this issue.

Needless to say I told them I solved it by not using Steam anymore :)

Archived