Delay assigning a new captain.

I've just played my last game of the season. It is still May, but I have chosen to release all of the players who I had chosen not to renew the contracts for early. Included in this was my co-captain, and FM09 is demanding I appoint a new co-captain immediately, despite everyone being on holiday. I intend to bring in 4/5 new faces in the summer, and no doubt one of them will be a better candidate for being co-captain, can I somehow avoid setting a new co-captain now?

I disagree with that rigid outlook. A completely hypothetical example IRL: If any championship club bought Sol Campbell, surely he would be a leading candidate for club captain.

Not immediately.

Maybe after 6 months - 1 year after he has gained the respect of the other players.

My arguement would be that a player of Sol Campbells' stature would already have the respect of the other players. I've tried to find an example of a player signed and made captain, but will have to concede defeat on the issue.

You don't think he would have already gained that respect through his career on paper?

No, it will be unlikely any of them have even met him or played on the same on the pitch as him. So while he has a reputation and a certain level of respect for his playing ability this doesn't automatically give him respect on a personal level.

The players already have a hierachy with a leader of some form at the top much like a pack of lions. For Campbell to become the natural leader he has to earn the respect of the pack, gain their trust & friendship and be accepted. How high he rises & how fast depends on many factors but in FM its represented mainly by the influence skill.

No, it will be unlikely any of them have even met him or played on the same on the pitch as him. So while he has a reputation and a certain level of respect for his playing ability this doesn't automatically give him respect on a personal level.

The players already have a hierachy with a leader of some form at the top much like a pack of lions. For Campbell to become the natural leader he has to earn the respect of the pack, gain their trust & friendship and be accepted. How high he rises & how fast depends on many factors but in FM its represented mainly by the influence skill.

Just to blow a huge whole in your theory, Sol Campbell was made captain immediately on arriving at Portsmouth.

It's not Pride of Lions Manager.

Just to blow a huge whole in your theory, Sol Campbell was made captain immediately on arriving at Portsmouth.

I couldnt find a source to back this up, I also looked at Michael Owen, William Gallas & Ian Taylor(DCFC)

A risk was taken and I presume it paid off on this occasion.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work it just carries a huge amount of risk if you have a settled squad.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work it just carries a huge amount of risk if you have a settled squad.

Getting back on the main topic, that's the point - I don't have a settled squad, I am currently managing Dorchester Town. No-one has been with me for more than 2 seasons, and the turnover of players is pretty large.

You have to set it but you can change it later.

On 08 I bought Coloccini for my team and made him captain immediately, everyone was happy with it. The key is to make sure you're appointing someone who the players respect - it doesn't have to be a player who has been at the club for a while

These are grown men used to uprooting their families to move clubs and working under different managers, often not the manager they expected. I think they can cope with a former England captain being appointed as club captain without having tea and biscuits first. ;)

Not immediately.

Maybe after 6 months - 1 year after he has gained the respect of the other players.

look at mario melchiot at wigan a few years ago when he signed for them he was straight away appointed captain

My arguement would be that a player of Sol Campbells' stature would already have the respect of the other players. I've tried to find an example of a player signed and made captain, but will have to concede defeat on the issue.

David Beckham and LA Galazy,

Sol Campbell when he went to pompey.

Keane when he re-joined Spurs

I am sure teddy Sherringham was instant captain at his lower levels. also steve claridge

Archived