J-League (Japanese League) 2010?

What are the chances of seeing the J-League included in FM2010 as a surprise addition? Surely it would be a big hit, comparable to any possible new feature. Also considering a renewed focus on Asian football in recent years in the actual football world.

At the moment the game feels incomplete without a Japanese league, especially when playing in a rival Asian league such as Australia or South Korea, which just can't compare.

I always though the J-League (when it was in FM/CM?) had a great balance to it; big enough to possible attract an established star player, but small enough to make things satisfyingly difficult. Huge attendance, lots of money, etc.

I realize that a rival game has the rights to the J-League (and national team) but is there some way a compromise can be reached rather than omitting it entirely? At the moment fake Japanese teams appear in the game. Could this be expanded into a fake yet playable league. I can't see how anyone can own exclusive rights to an entire nation. The aforementioned rival game includes (or has in the past) fake players, fake teams, fake leagues, but real nations. So it must be possible, no?

I'm don't know if FM is popular in Japan, but surely it is a large enough market to justify pursuing all options for it's inclusion.

A rival company owns the exclusive rights to the J-League

Yes... I have already acknowledged this fact. Try reading what I wrote in the post, not just the topic title.

As we all know Japanese football is a good standard and Japanese players play all through the world and a good few in Europe.

FM really is less without the J-League.

I say bring it back, not fake, buy the license, buy out the other side, we all know the size of SI and Sega, make it happen!

SI and Sega will still have a budget for the game, it doesn't make sense to break the budget for the J-league or any league when its not guaranteed to be a success and sell enough copies to cover the cost of doing it. I don't think EA have rights to the J-league either do they? If there was anyone likely to blow a fair amount to get a license on the game I think it would be them, so SI/Sega may very well be priced out of it as an option.

Whilst it'd be nice to have in, I wouldn't actually say it'd be a huge asset to the game from my point of view, obviously we all have different views and whilst there will be many supporters for including it, there will be many who don't mind either way as well. I think the rights to the J-league must have been bought at a fair premium when they thought the league was going to grow considerably, which is preventing others from moving in now.

I'm not sure it really works that you can just make a fake league. The reason they can't do Facegen pictures for real life players without pictures is because they aren't allowed to do something that represents something that they don't have a licence for - surely making a league that has the same rules etc as Japan would be seen as representing the J-League, which they don't have rights to?

I'm sure SI have explored all possible options regarding the J-League, if they felt that it would be worth it then I'm sure that, by now, they would have done something to get the Japanese league system into the game.

That's can't be the problem Jammy because if you've ever played PES, you see teams like Manchester Blue for Man City and it's clearly meant to be them.

I loved playing in the J-League and would love to see it back.

Yes would love to see the J-league back in FM. Obvioulosy there isnt much hope of it happening soon, anyone know when the current licence with Konami actually runs out.

It's just not the same playing in the Asian Champions league without the correct japanese opposition. Anyone who follows it in real life will know how much of an impact the japanese teams have but this isnt refelcted in the game.

If you could have fake teams for one league you might as well have fake teams for every league that's not currently playable, and that would destroy the realism.

However, since Konami don't put J-League in UK Pro Evo, and don't make PC football management games, I can't see it being that hard to come to a rights deal with them. There's been no new leagues for ages.

That said, I'd be more interested personally in any spare effort going into more British divisions than leagues I might never play.

If you could have fake teams for one league you might as well have fake teams for every league that's not currently playable, and that would destroy the realism.

However, since Konami don't put J-League in UK Pro Evo, and don't make PC football management games, I can't see it being that hard to come to a rights deal with them. There's been no new leagues for ages.

That said, I'd be more interested personally in any spare effort going into more British divisions than leagues I might never play.

Fake Japanese teams already exist in the game, they just don't have a playable league. So how does making them playable, for those that are interested in managing those teams, hurt the realism? It would have no impact on your game, you wouldn't even notice.

Also, in the database they can be found under their actual real names, in their real leagues. It seems the game itself simply changes the club's names, as is the case with the player "Jens Mustermann".

Moving on, can anyone confirm if a Japanese league was playable in CM08? I have noticed that according to their website the makers of CM are currently seeking a number of researchers, namely one in Japan...

I too would love to see the J-League in FM one day. It's the biggest league in Asia and is where some of the world's best managers have honed their skills, such as the likes of Arsène Wenger. Japan is an ever growing footballing power, and there's a huge market there, which could be wonderfully replicated within the game.

• 1 month later...
Yeh, but I bet someone does it and loads up their database within a few days' of the game's release!

That will be a lot of work, not to mention to add all the rules and regulations of each league, then add each club and players, basically to get it accurate will be very very difficult and time consuming.

What version of FM was the J-league in? sorry I never played the league so would not remember? Maybe a person can fire that up and check the editor for all the details they need to make the league on FM10.

For the next version of my small club to big club Asian challenge, I plan to including Japan and other countries, especially in West Asia. The teams will be from the 2009 season. I've used wiki, along with other sources to find the rules and regulations. I still need to research the cup competitions though...

stupid question and a little off topic (bus as the editor is being brought up here) sorry

All this talk of 'hey just download it' whenever somebody aks about new leagues. Does anyone know if you will actually be able a league file. Or will it be a whole database with new leagues in it?

just i might i might want some leagues and not others and wouldn't want to 1) pointlessly slow my game down cuse of something im not gunna use 2) dont want to download something which will take 3 hours for something i only want 20% of

Sorry if its been asked and sorry for hijacking thread a little (thought it wasn't worth a whole new topic)

stupid question and a little off topic (bus as the editor is being brought up here) sorry

All this talk of 'hey just download it' whenever somebody aks about new leagues. Does anyone know if you will actually be able a league file. Or will it be a whole database with new leagues in it?

just i might i might want some leagues and not others and wouldn't want to 1) pointlessly slow my game down cuse of something im not gunna use 2) dont want to download something which will take 3 hours for something i only want 20% of

Sorry if its been asked and sorry for hijacking thread a little (thought it wasn't worth a whole new topic)

No worries, it's a good and very important question. I for one will certainly want to include a few new leagues - lower tiers in England, Scotland, Oceanic islands and SE Asia.

Maybe someone wants all 24 tiers of English lower league and another only the tier below BSS/BSN - so different databases will need to be created.

If I interpreted it correctly, one hint in one thread by SI suggested that you will be able to download multiple league databases and incorporate them into one database. I certainly hope so. Let's wait for clarification in a forthcoming blog.

If I interpreted it correctly, one hint in one thread by SI suggested that you will be able to download multiple league databases and incorporate them into one database. I certainly hope so. Let's wait for clarification in a forthcoming blog.

This is something I suggested in the Data Issues forum a couple of years back that they should do. In effect, it would be a modular database. Let's hope they've finally done something like that, because adding a new league has so far required the whole database, and I, for one, usually edit my own db to my liking, and then would just like to add some additional leagues to it with J-League the priority. A modular one would make things so much easier and quicker.

Back to J-League, couldn't they just add all the real players to the database? And then use the same trick that's used for the teams that they don't have the license for to rename them for the actual game. This way the players would be in the db, and those of us, who know how to go around those tricks, would get the actual squads for J-League, and with the new editor, could then add the league as playable. This would make the Asian region realistic in the game, as currently it is not realistic, with the biggest footballing league missing.

This is something I suggested in the Data Issues forum a couple of years back that they should do. In effect, it would be a modular database. Let's hope they've finally done something like that, because adding a new league has so far required the whole database, and I, for one, usually edit my own db to my liking, and then would just like to add some additional leagues to it with J-League the priority. A modular one would make things so much easier and quicker.

Back to J-League, couldn't they just add all the real players to the database? And then use the same trick that's used for the teams that they don't have the license for to rename them for the actual game. This way the players would be in the db, and those of us, who know how to go around those tricks, would get the actual squads for J-League, and with the new editor, could then add the league as playable. This would make the Asian region realistic in the game, as currently it is not realistic, with the biggest footballing league missing.

I'm sure that if they could have, they would have done so already.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I previously made a Japan League Update for FM 2009. Never made it available because I m affraid i could have problems with it due to this license problem. However, if some are ok, we can make an update for fm 2010 as well and just share it between the makers of it without making it available for other people. I would suggest to make this update asap when FM 2010 comes out, by this way we can use the update from the beginning.

Hey lads,

Regarding the J-League problem.

The situation is really out of our hands, the only thing we can do is make a league update and share it among ourselves to truely replicate the asian football scene. I currently reside in Japan, have been an avid follower for years (As I am half Japanese) and I see up to two J-League games live every weekend (Due to my job) so I'm hoping I am quite the guru when it comes to the J-League.

This is not to be a shameful plug of any sorts but we (Us fine folks over at www.loswonderkids.com) are currently working on the patch already, as far as research is concerned. So if you would like to help out, please don't hesitate to contact!

Cheers.

I'm sure SI and Sega have people who know a lot more than me, but isn't the Japanese market for computer games pretty damn profitable? And so for SI to buy the rights from the rival for the J-League it could actually be hugely profitable due to sales of the game in Japan?

sublime, as surprising as it is, there really isn't a pc game market here and as FM is basically a game for the PC, it wouldn't be a worthy investment. It's all about the PS3, XBOX 360's, Wii's over here, as far as gaming is concerned. To add further insult to injury, there already are a number of Japanese only club management games who have licensing, so again, it wouldn't lead to anything profitable.

I honestly missed J-League. I'm a big fan of the japanese players and have not played it since the FM series started. And No, i'm not going to play CM just because of J-League. Hopefully in the future, J-League will comes back into the series.

The whole problem began when Sega bought SI. Until that point, SI was including the J-League even though another company supposedly had exclusive rights. If you want the J-League, then somebody has to swoop in and buy SI from Sega.

IIRC, SI already did not have the J-League for a few series of CM before going with Sega.

Hello, I previously made a Japan League Update for FM 2009. Never made it available because I m affraid i could have problems with it due to this license problem. However, if some are ok, we can make an update for fm 2010 as well and just share it between the makers of it without making it available for other people. I would suggest to make this update asap when FM 2010 comes out, by this way we can use the update from the beginning.

You don't have to worry about licensing, since you are not SI/SEGA, at least not as long as you don't charge people for downloading. There shouldn't be any problem making an unofficial database with the J-League in it available on some download site for free.

cant they just make a JAY league and just change the team names slightly and player names for example "Osarka" etc etc??

That would be great and add much needed realism to the game, but don't expect it from SI. They don't really care about realism.

This caught my eye and I don't think it was answered further down. Yes, you can download multiple league databases, and, I believe the competitions will be in XML format (or something similar) ensuring the filesizes are pretty tiny.

Archived