Trick free kicks

CM10 will have a set piece editor, would be nice for FM to have one but I imagine there would be some exploits allowing you to score 50 goals from it

Yeah, that'll be the only thing that's holding it back I imagine. I'd love to be able to set-up set-pieces but, with that level of customization, comes many exploits. I doubt Eidos would have managed it, but let's hope for the future of this idea that they have.

With regards to the freekicks that were scooped up and then volleyed home - hasn't that been made illegal now? I think the ruling was changed so that the ball had to make one full rotation before being hit. I may be wrong though? :confused:

FIFA has one this year I believe.

Would be a great addition if done right but I'm not convinced it would be. The corner exploit has been around for a while so taking that onto a bigger scale could just cause a load of other exploits to pop up. Great idea if it could work well.

can we at least have the choice to man mark or zonal mark at set peices? Basically my defenders dont intercept the ball but follow an attacker into the box and watch them score

It's been well-discussed. wwfan explains that it would result in easily exploiting the ME.

If that's the case, can we not have a feature that lets us tell the player where we want the free kick delivered? No need to set up fancy routines, just "in final third: cross into box".

Nevermind tricks, I want to be able to tell my RW with 20 set pieces to put the freekick into the box, in the last minute of a 0-0 draw, not play it back to my defender on the halfway line!!!!!!!

• 7 months later...
Nevermind tricks, I want to be able to tell my RW with 20 set pieces to put the freekick into the box, in the last minute of a 0-0 draw, not play it back to my defender on the halfway line!!!!!!!

His decisions must be bad, right?

FIFA has one this year I believe.

Would be a great addition if done right but I'm not convinced it would be. The corner exploit has been around for a while so taking that onto a bigger scale could just cause a load of other exploits to pop up.

That there would be exploits is one of the worst excuses ever. I would rather they're omitting it because they can't be bothered.

That there would be exploits is one of the worst excuses ever. I would rather they're omitting it because they can't be bothered.

There are around 8 possibilities to place your players at the moment (Near post, far post, etc.) and 9 outfield players (not taking the corner), so that's 8^9 possible combinations which is a really large number already (and this excludes factoring in the players' attributes, the corner taker being inswinging or outswining, as well as the 6^11 defensive combinations or whatever). Doing a basic set-piece creator is difficult enough. Anything more complicated is just nasty.

The old FM08 and below tactics with arrows allows for exploit tactics. Being able to place anyone anywhere in the penalty box is just asking for trouble.

You hire coaches to take care of set pieces.

If you want your team to shoot a free kick coming up to injury time then turn on the "Shoot On Sight".

If i'm losing 1 - 0 with 10 minutes to go I tell my players to pump the ball into the box and shoot on sight.

Simple.

I've scored loads of direct free kicks, loads and loads and loads.

You hire coaches to take care of set pieces.

If you want your team to shoot a free kick coming up to injury time then turn on the "Shoot On Sight".

If i'm losing 1 - 0 with 10 minutes to go I tell my players to pump the ball into the box and shoot on sight.

Simple.

I've scored loads of direct free kicks, loads and loads and loads.

Really? All mine just hit the wall and go out. I've tried so many different players, and I score maybe 1-2 a season. These are only driven shots past the wall. I have not seen a curling shot like I did in FM09. Surely shoot on sight doesn't make them suddenly start curling shots? Would appreciate any help for this, I have 4.5 star coach, patch 10.3. FM09 was easy, find a good freekick taker with long shots and composure/concentration so forth. Scored so many in 09 cause I had a 'Beckham' type regen who even got 40 yarders.

I don't know why in my game I score more free kicks. All I can say is to adjust your tactics: I seem to score quite a few.

In this I decided to look up a few stats of the worlds best.

In Real Life

Two of the best free kick takers in the world (apparently)

David Beckham

2002/2003 season

73 shots

44 shots on target

12 goals

12 assists

C.Ronaldo

In 2008/09 season

354 shots

142 shots on target

34 goals

9 Assists

Lampard is similar, he has about 250 shots as season, and scores about 20 and assists about 20 a season.

Fabregas is similar, top of his game about 100 shots a season and scores about 15 - 20 a season.

Gerrard - 08/-0 - 202 shots, 80 on target, 29 Goals, 13 Assists

Let's take a look at someone else, less noteworthy

Ashley young - 08/09 - 116 shots, 35 on target, 8 goals, 10 Assists

Michael Carrick - 08/09 - 55 shots, 17 on target, 4 goals, 8 Assists

And the list goes on.

It really does speak for itself.

How can you adjust tactics for a freekick. All it is, a player steps up and tries to get it over the wall and past the keeper. I can't tell him to curl the ball instead of just hitting the wall. It happens for my opposition as well. I score a tonne of goals, just not from direct freekicks.

Not sure what those stats relate too though, Ronaldo didn't score 32 goals from freekicks in 08/09 season....

I don't know why in my game I score more free kicks. All I can say is to adjust your tactics: I seem to score quite a few.

In this I decided to look up a few stats of the worlds best.

In Real Life

Two of the best free kick takers in the world (apparently)

David Beckham

2002/2003 season

73 shots

44 shots on target

12 goals

12 assists

C.Ronaldo

In 2008/09 season

354 shots

142 shots on target

34 goals

9 Assists

Lampard is similar, he has about 250 shots as season, and scores about 20 and assists about 20 a season.

Fabregas is similar, top of his game about 100 shots a season and scores about 15 - 20 a season.

Gerrard - 08/-0 - 202 shots, 80 on target, 29 Goals, 13 Assists

Let's take a look at someone else, less noteworthy

Ashley young - 08/09 - 116 shots, 35 on target, 8 goals, 10 Assists

Michael Carrick - 08/09 - 55 shots, 17 on target, 4 goals, 8 Assists

And the list goes on.

It really does speak for itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the statistics shown above are for the most part irrelevant. Statistics on the number free kicks attempted versus those scored, for example, would be far more reflective if you have them.

Not sure what those stats relate too though, Ronaldo didn't score 32 goals from freekicks in 08/09 season....

No he didn't. A few were penalties etc and from open play.

The point is that these guys are the main free kick takers, and they take a lot more shots than anyone else in the world.

The stats are just a bit of fun on how many shots a midfielder who is the primary free kick taker will take in a season compared to the amount of shots on target compared to the amount of goals.

That's all. If anyone has the stats for amount of free kicks to goal ratio I would love to see them.

The best I can find really is that in season of 354 shots by Ronaldo, he played 66 games

That's an average of

per game

5.3 shots

2.1 shots on target

.5 goals

And as he's the primary free kick taker

I don't have any stats for the amount of free kicks that he took - but knowing Utd he probably took about 2 - 4 free kicks per game.

So in that Season he played 33 times for Man UTd (prem league only)

181 shots

57 on target

18 goals

per game thats

- 5.4 shots

- 1.7 on target

- .5 goals

All I'm saying is that even for the Worlds best free kick takers, they're only hitting 1.7 of their shots on target per game (according that one stat from Ronaldo for that season).

Never mind free kicks, just on shots alone they are not hitting the target more than twice per game.

But when they do hit the target every second game, it's likely a goal.

So I wouldn't worry about only getting 2 shots on target from free kicks. Unless you have Ronaldo or Messi, or Beckham or Fabregas or Lamps, then you'll probably do an Ashley Young or Michael Carrick type free kick.

Yeah but nearly all my shots from freekicks are on target, all but one or two hit the wall. Thats all I'm getting at.

Also you are making comparisons with 08/09 worlds best player who scored an immense amount of goals, I have no problem scoring penalties and normal play goals as one of my strikers has 35 goals in 33 appearances. I just find a huge lack of goals from freekicks from FM10 compared to FM09. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Ronaldo is a pretty appalling free kick taker, that's pretty well known. He takes loads, and a few happen to go flying in. Most of the others aren't close. Besides which, he wasn't United's primary free kick taker, Hargreaves was.

Ronaldo is a pretty appalling free kick taker, that's pretty well known. He takes loads, and a few happen to go flying in. Most of the others aren't close. Besides which, he wasn't United's primary free kick taker, Hargreaves was.

Sounds a lot like Beckham .... ;)

Hargreaves seems to have only taken 30 shots in 23 apps, and has scored only twice.

He's only ever had 18 shots with B.Munich and not many goals to his name at all. I do really think that Ronaldo was pretty much the free kick taker at Man U for a long time. And was pretty good at it.

Prolific or just slightly over-rated? I think Giggs has been far more successful with free kicks than Beckham, in both goals and assists over the years, but he's Welsh so who cares?

(Yes I did just call Beckham over-rated :sighs: don't mean it exactly the way it sounds)

Prolific or just slightly over-rated? I think Giggs has been far more successful with free kicks than Beckham, in both goals and assists over the years, but he's Welsh so who cares?

Not sure about Giggs but my original comment was in relation to Ronaldo.

He's only ever had 18 shots with B.Munich and not many goals to his name at all. I do really think that Ronaldo was pretty much the free kick taker at Man U for a long time. And was pretty good at it.

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that the Bayern stats are for the CL only.

Ronaldo took because Hargreaves was injured. When both started, Hargreaves took.

Archived