Problems installing fm08

Hi,

I am having problems with my installation of FM08. I followed the discs auto-load instructions and the game installed. However, when it finished installing (and when I click on the icon - which is not a full icon it's just a square with white in the middle) it comes up with the following message:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Please help, I don't understand why it is doing this. I have enough space required fro the game and my laptop has run FM07 AND 09 before. I have a Dell INSPIRON 510m laptop with windows XP.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Matt

This issue may occur if your game's installation is damaged (corrupted).

Remove the game

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
  3. In the list of installed programs, click the game, and then click Add/Remove.
  4. When you are prompted to uninstall the program, click Yes.
  5. When the removal process is complete, click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
  6. In the Named box, type "DungeonSiege.exe", "fs2002.exe", "train.exe", or "zoo.exe". Include the quotation marks.
    Note The name of the executable you type in will depend on what game you have installed. The executable names match the following games: Dungeon Siege = "DungeonSiege.exe"
    Flight Simulator 2002 = "fs2002.exe"
    Train Simulator = "train.exe"
    Zoo Tycoon = "zoo.exe"
  7. In the Look In box, click the hard disk where you installed the game, and then click Find Now.
  8. In the list of found files and folders, right-click the game executable file, and then click Delete.

Empty the Temp folder

To empty the Temp folder and the Temporary Internet Files folder, use the Disk Cleanup tool. To do this, follow the steps for the operating system that you are using.

Windows XP

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.
  2. Click C: or click the drive where Windows XP is installed, and then click OK.
  3. Click to select the Temporary files check box.
  4. Click OK, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Restart the computer by performing a clean boot procedure

Windows XP

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

310353 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/ ) How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP

Reinstall the game

To reinstall the game, follow these steps:

1. Insert the game CD into the computer's CD or DVD drive.
    If the Setup program does not start automatically, follow these steps:
    1. <LI type=a>Click
Start, click Run, type <cd-rom>:\setup.exe in the Open box. In this example, <cd-rom> is the letter of the computer's CD or DVD drive.
Click OK.

[*]Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the game.

Hope this helps

Archived