FM2009 - Strange player valuation for reserve team player

1.5 years ago I bought a 16 year old DL (Player A) for £2K and I put him in my reserve team. 6 months later I stumbled upon another young DL (Player B) (17 years old) that I decided to buy for £2K and put in the first team as a backup/rotation player. The original first team DL (Player C) is another young player (now 19 but bought at 16) that I bought 3 years ago for £120K.

Whats interesting and strange is the current valuations of these players. Below is a summary of each player:

Player A: Bought for £2K, current value £210K, plays in the reserves, 18 years old, 0 first team apps, coach report states he could be a decent Championship DL.

Player B: Bought for £2K, current value £7K, plays in the first team, 18 years old, 51 first team apps, coach report states he could be a leading Championship DL.

Player C: Bought for £120K, current value £65K, plays in the first team, 19 years old, 124 first team apps, coach report states he would be a good player for most Championship teams.

I was on my way to sell player A last season but no team was interested.

My question is: Why is player A valued so high even though my coaches (and I) rates him as the worst DL in my squad?

I would guess its down to CA/PA & age mostly.

There is also the chance that your coaches are wrong as well.

Player A probably has the best CA but skill points could be in the wrong area (Two footed is a possibility). His long term potential isn't as good but this doesn't seem to affect transfers as much.

Player B you rate because he has skill points in the right areas and has good long term potential but his CA is probably the lowest.

Player C you probably overpaid for originally and his value is just settling down.

EDIT

You aren't getting offers for player A because he isn't playing in the first team and doesn't get noticed.

I would guess its down to CA/PA & age mostly.

There is also the chance that your coaches are wrong as well.

Player A probably has the best CA but skill points could be in the wrong area (Two footed is a possibility). His long term potential isn't as good but this doesn't seem to affect transfers as much.

Player B you rate because he has skill points in the right areas and has good long term potential but his CA is probably the lowest.

Player C you probably overpaid for originally and his value is just settling down.

EDIT

You aren't getting offers for player A because he isn't playing in the first team and doesn't get noticed.

How do you mean its down to age? The three players are basically the same age (18/19) and I dont see how that should matter.

Player A is left-footed but you are probably correct about his skill points. He has 3 U19 caps for Scotland.

Player B is actually two-footed but I feel that his skill points are only slightly better than player A. He has 5 U19 caps for Sweden.

Player C is left-footed and has 3 U19 caps for Spain.

It would be interesting to compare the key attributes of these players, if you could list 3-5 key attributes for a DL then I can list the values for the players.

I understand what you mean when you say player A doesnt gets noticed because he dont play in the first team, but I wonder if thats the whole truth. I have another player, a 17 years old GK that I bought when he was 16, and even though he is placed in the reserves and only have played 1 first team game I have recieved several bids for him (some I believe was made before he played his first team game). However I agree that its probably easier to be noticed if you play in the first team instead of the reserves.

I find that when team are interested in reserve layers their value rises significantly

In this case nobody is interested in the player and still his value keeps rising. I bought him in August 2015 for £2K. By the end of season 2015/2016 his value was at around £65K and I tried to sell him for £22 by offering him to clubs. Noone was interested. At the start of this season (2016/2017) his value was around £90K, and now in January 2017 its at £210K. Still no teams are listed as being interested.

How do you mean its down to age? The three players are basically the same age (18/19) and I dont see how that should matter.

Not for these players but in general.

A player with a lowish CA but high PA would be valuable if he was <21 but maybe worthless if >30 as he would never reach his potential.

I understand what you mean when you say player A doesnt gets noticed because he dont play in the first team, but I wonder if thats the whole truth. I have another player, a 17 years old GK that I bought when he was 16, and even though he is placed in the reserves and only have played 1 first team game I have recieved several bids for him (some I believe was made before he played his first team game). However I agree that its probably easier to be noticed if you play in the first team instead of the reserves.

Sorry I should have been clearer.

I think this is also down to reputation. Player A possibly has the higher reputation points which has led to increased value but the lack of first team games has restricted teams looking at him and making offers.

Your coaches aren't always right when they go on about ratings for your players either, if it bothers you that much find out their CA by using a third party tool.

Ok, so I took a quick look at their CA/PA and found the following:

Player A: CA=62, PA=129, Current reputation=1741

Player B: CA=108, PA= 168, Current reputation=3687

Player C: CA=121, PA=154, Current reputation=4213

Player A has the worst CA, worst PA, worst reputation, plays in the reserve team but still is valued more than 3 times higher than my first choice DL in the first team. Why?

Ok, so I took a quick look at their CA/PA and found the following:

Player A: CA=62, PA=129, Current reputation=1741

Player B: CA=108, PA= 168, Current reputation=3687

Player C: CA=121, PA=154, Current reputation=4213

Player A has the worst CA, worst PA, worst reputation, plays in the reserve team but still is valued more than 3 times higher than my first choice DL in the first team. Why?

Interesting.

What about contracts, length and wage.

Does player A have a larger wage or longer time left on his contract?

Maybe it has something to do with his performances and how good they are? I have no idea tbh

Ive now looked at his latest games in the "Form" section of his profile and I am quite surprised to see that he havent played one single reserve team game this season! Ive left the reserve team to my assistant manager and he seems to prefer to play another DL (a youth from my academy that he recommends I offload in the near future). I have no idea why, and I see no logic in it.

He has however played in 6 pre-season friendlies with the first team this season with an average rating of 6.78. I even picked him for his first competitive first team game this month and he got a 6.8 rating. He has been involved in 2 U19 games too, both games with a rating of 5.5. No particularly good ratings I assume.

Interesting.

What about contracts, length and wage.

Does player A have a larger wage or longer time left on his contract?

Player A: £350 for another 1.5 years

Player B: £1,100 for another 1.5 years

Player C: £7,500 for another 2.5 years

Player A has the lowest wage and (amongst) the shortest time left, still he's valued highest. And he doesnt even get to play in the reserve team (see previous post)!

Ive now played another month and his value has increased to £230K.

I'm out of ideas then :confused:

Just ignore player values. Its just a random number that tells you absolutely nothing about the player. The last version with proper values i think was FM07 or even FM06.

What is a "Proper" value?

Perhaps when you can answer that we can move onto how to programme it into FM.

Archived