What youth system???

Ive been playing as Liverpool for 14 seasons now, i have top youth facilities and an academy, the darkstar training for both 1st XI and youth team, and all trainings is 5 or 6 stars and my main scout for youth team reports has got 20:20 on judging ability. Sounds good eh? well here is my problem, not one player in 14 seasons has made it through to my 1st team. Infact the only players to make it though to any decent 1st steam is the youth and reserve team i started with.

Where am i going wrong, please help.

The more cynical might note that given Gerrard is the last player to come out from their Academy to have made any sort of notable impact says it all.

The more curious notes that you will need to tell us more about what you do with youngsters. Do you loan them out? What do you train them like? Do you give your kids runs in the first-team often? Do you ever have room for kids in your team?

Thanks

Because i have a very strong 1st team of about 30 players including reserves all players under the age of 18 are in my youth team and are learning from the grandads of the squad. With each learning period lasting about 6 months i each youngster gets at least 2 older team mates to tutor them. As i have younger 20 somthings in my 1st team squad the under 18s dont get played atall in the 1st team, not even in the League cup.

When a player reqached the age where he cannot play in the under 18s he is moved to the reserves and at the earlyest oppertunity offered on loan or sent to my English feeder clubs, Shef Utd or Swansea. If they refuse or cannot be offloaded on loan (very rare) leave them in the reserves untill they can be sold or when checking the coach report i follow the instructions of 'offload as soon as possable'

I must also say that around half of my youth players fail to get their 1st contract as my coach report tells me to get rid

Thanks again

May be worth giving some opportunities to your Under-18s. 30+ players in your first-team and Reserves sounds an awful lot. I personally consider anything above 22 minus Reserves too much.

The other thing to consider is that the Under-18s don't play too many games and having too many Reserves means the Reserves will play instead of the Under-18s. Consider getting rid of most of your Reserves or shipping them out to a feeder club, sacrificing them so your Under-18s play more games and develop a bit more to see how far they can get.

However, this will only get you so far. First-team action is what really develops players. 30+ players means you probably have no room for kids. Consider trimming your squad as well, and throwing some of your kids in the deep end when injuries strike.

Thanks.

I was going for the idea of having a 1st XI of my top experianced players, a 2nd XI of the early 20s less experianced players and a few inbetween to act as cover or to stand in for injuries. Taking on your advice i am considering getting rid of the vast majority of my 1st XI (all being late 20s early 30s) and merging them in with the 2nd string. To cover the easier matches i will mix a few youngsters in and use the youth team as cover for injuries.

Thanks again

I've managed Liverpool and was able to get a few academy graduates through. None of them were by any means amazing, that label was only achieved by u-18's I've brought in, but still good squad players

My strategy is a simple one, always have a small squad on all 3 levels.In fact first thing I do when I manage any team is get rid of the dead wood in the Reserves and u-18. Reserves consist of fringe first team players (2-3) a few 18-20 yo and mostly under 18 players. If the u-18 haven't developed to a sufficient level by the time they're 18 I tend to offload by either selling or releasing them.

Also forgot to mention the obvious. Always loan the prospects you can't play. And when you do loan them, loan them to a league that'll be challenging for them but not too hard.

Is it better to loan a player out to a L1 team where they are going to be an automatic starter but not find the league challenging or to loan to a Championship team where they are only a squad player but when they play it is at a level that will challenge them?

The answer is because not enough of the regen players are as good as what is available in the game when you first start.

I'm 8 seasons in, and Chelsea are still playing Frank Lampard aged 37. In the top 6 teams in the prem, there are only 3 regens that start regularly.

I'm Middlesbrough and i'm into 2015 (and considered one of the best teams in Europe). I've had a few "decent" players come through the youth academy but no one really amazing. I now have 3 19 year olds who are doing well for England Under 21's but haven't been able to cope in the Premiership yet. I also tried sending them out on loan but nobody wanted them and they rejected loan moves to my feeder teams.

I now tend to buy my young talent from Spain and Brazil now.

The answer is because not enough of the regen players are as good as what is available in the game when you first start.

I'm 8 seasons in, and Chelsea are still playing Frank Lampard aged 37. In the top 6 teams in the prem, there are only 3 regens that start regularly.

Sorry to double post but 8 out of 11 of my starting line-up are now regens. Most of them are between 20 and 25 and are worth around 10mill to 20mill. The only players that aren't regens are Ustari, Steven Defour and Alex Teixeria(sp).

I have been getting some great regens but buying them, not one person in my youth team in 14 seasons has made it right the way throught the system into my 1st team.

I buy in players, treat them like the youth team and they all do well. the lowest i have sold on is for £3m, 10x his origonal value 4 years ago, so i know its not poor regens on the game, just in my squad.

I think that isn't to do with ability, but Frank Lampard's reputation just stops the AI dropping him. Regens don't build reputations fast enough, and older players don't lose theirs.

Checking one save with Genie Scout, the best players in the world (five years in) are regens. There are three regens with CA 190+, which iirc matches the situation at game start (it shouldn't take you long to work out which three players...). However, the reputations of the best regen are almost half those of the highest rep player in my game- Messi.

T

I must also say that around half of my youth players fail to get their 1st contract as my coach report tells me to get rid

Thanks again

I'd say that's quite realistic tbh. The one club I can think of where this number rises is Arsenal atm, although their figure is inflated as they inherited most of Wimbledon's youth set up. Even then, it's maybe 65% who get a contract, or less.

I'm Millwall in the premiership in 2013, and have just got a regen through who is valued at £2.7m. Waiting to see how he shapes up later in the game. I am going to send him out on loan to a lower league team to see how he progresses.

What I normally do is axe the reserve team after the first season.

You are then left with a first team and a youth team. When a player is too old for the youth team, give him a few goes in the first team, but if he's not good enough, get rid. This means that you don't have anyone taking up big wages but are surplus to requirements. Keeps the wages down as well as the squad size.

What I normally do is axe the reserve team after the first season.

You are then left with a first team and a youth team. When a player is too old for the youth team, give him a few goes in the first team, but if he's not good enough, get rid. This means that you don't have anyone taking up big wages but are surplus to requirements. Keeps the wages down as well as the squad size.

nice idea will try this

Archived