Goal scored whilst defender was laying injured

grrrr...just had a really frustrating game with my Bury team who are 2nd in the league, playing away against Bradford who are top with only 10 games left in the season.

I am playing a nice compact defensive 4-4-2 with one of my strikers man marking their creative central mid meaning they are struggling to create - there is 10 minutes left, hardly a chance in the game, 0 clear cut opportunities when all of a sudden my centre half starts rolling around injured right in the centre of the goal, six yards out. Bradford have the ball, and because of where he is laying injured, their centre forwards are stood 8-10 yards out in no danger of being played offside - the ball is rolled into one of them who turns and scores.

Now, although it was clearly not sporting and they should have kicked the ball out, I dont have a massive problem with the goal standing, but I think the game should reflect what would happen in real life....my team would have been angry, and confronted the officials, and maybe even the opposing scorer, and it definitely would have been brought up in the post match press conference, as I was gagging for the opportunity to fume at Bradford for their bad sportsmanship

Has anybody else had this?

I'm not sure if it was only the Premier League, but last season players were instructed not to put the ball out of play and to leave it to the referee to make a decision. Still a bit cheeky to use the injured player to gain a positional advantage though.

It would be nice of the media could have picked up on this but it is quite a way off that at the moment, it still has loads of room for improvement.

Press Conferences would be much better if you could do things like that... One of the things I hope they add as well as making our own press conference to speak about things of our own choice (related to the game, of course)

Not an injury, but in an early save (pre 9.3) Julio Cesar blasted a kick against Materazzi, both stood still and lef tit sitting on the edge of the box. The only player to move was Quagliarella who waltzed up and passed it in to the open goal.

I'm not sure if it was only the Premier League, but last season players were instructed not to put the ball out of play and to leave it to the referee to make a decision. Still a bit cheeky to use the injured player to gain a positional advantage though.

It would be nice of the media could have picked up on this but it is quite a way off that at the moment, it still has loads of room for improvement.

Yeah, they were only told to order the ball to be put out of play if the injury was serious or to the head (or, obviously, both). That said, it's still sporting to put the ball out of play nevertheless.

Yeah, they were only told to order the ball to be put out of play if the injury was serious or to the head (or, obviously, both). That said, it's still sporting to put the ball out of play nevertheless.

If it is a serious injury or a head injury the ref should stop the game and restart with a drop ball. The ball shouldn't theoretically ever really be put out by a team, although it is.

With the amount of dives and fake injuries put on by players in real life I wouldnt expect my team to punt the ball out of bounds unless they were 100% certain the playing isnt fakeing.

ps: I'm sure some players use it as a tactic to disrupt the flow of play or to give their team a breather.

Do players have sportsmanship ratings? I'm pretty sure they do (not 100%) and would like to know if this is related to whether they kick the ball out for injuries

They do. It's a hidden attribute. But I don't thinik this is used here. It looks more likely to just be unrecognized by the AI. Guess it would be quite some work to code that.

Not an injury, but in an early save (pre 9.3) Julio Cesar blasted a kick against Materazzi, both stood still and lef tit sitting on the edge of the box. The only player to move was Quagliarella who waltzed up and passed it in to the open goal.

For me, this needs fixing more than anything. I think there is some major issues with the game not anticipating deflections and thus not allowing players to react like they should. It's a major issue for me.

The same thing happened to me before the latest patch, haven't seen it since though. There was an injury to a Werder Bremen player and Diego decided to kick the ball out of play. However, he hit it against one of his own players and it didn't go out of play.

All the players stood still as if it had gone out of play. Adebayor was first to react and he slotted it home. I wasn't complaining because I was Arsenal :p but it was very strange.

• 3 weeks later...

This happens half a dozen times a season and usually it's my player injured. While my opponents don't always score, I just drew with a crap team because of this.

I have NEVER seen a player be sporting and kick the ball out of play. This seems to be a conscious decision by SI and not a bug, IMO.

I have had problems along these lines. Usually when a defender picks up a knock and gets treated on the sidelines, the play carries on for a few minutes before he eventually strolls back on. In those few minutes I find that I now have a hole in my defence because no-one is covering his position, whereas in real life you would find a midfielder drops back into defence and a striker back into midfield to keep your 2 banks of 4 (assuming a 442 formation), but this doesn't seem to happen in game and you can't do it by clicking tactics as they don't take effect until the ball is out of play, which us usually too late.

I think this is a perfect example of why the board confidence needs tweaking a little more.

I know for FM'09 they introduced "they could understand why they were knocked out by Chelsea" or something similar, which I was really pleased to see.

I'd like to see "they can understand Howard Webb didn't have the greatest of games" when he should have blown the whistle, makes bad decisions, etc. Therefore making no change to the confidence bar, and making us feel a slightly bit better. :D

I have NEVER seen a player be sporting and kick the ball out of play. This seems to be a conscious decision by SI and not a bug, IMO.

Happens all the time. Watch the whole match or extended highlights if you want to have a chance of seeing it.

That's what annoys me about press conferences, SI have put in all the boring stuff and the stuff that actually has the potential to add something to the game they have, inexcusably IMO, left it out of the game.

Do players have sportsmanship ratings? I'm pretty sure they do (not 100%) and would like to know if this is related to whether they kick the ball out for injuries
They do. It's a hidden attribute. But I don't thinik this is used here. It looks more likely to just be unrecognized by the AI. Guess it would be quite some work to code that.

I'm pretty sure that this is when it comes into play actually. My team are pretty unsporting so never really want to put the ball out, but the same 3 players in my side always put the ball out when it comes to them.

Most annoying was when Walcott got injured randomly on the opposite flank while tracking back, and my CM, who'd just run onto a glorious through-ball, stopped eight yards out from goal and kicked it off for a throw-in.

I applauded Di Canio at the time, but now I know how his manager felt.

Archived