Getting to know your players

Extended highlights, watch your matches and slowly you get an understanding of each of them.

Personally I find it takes around a season to get to know the bulk of your squad although there are always a few I struggle with.

Its hard to help really, I tend to have a good memory for names and stats and stuff when it comes to FM. My housemate called me sad the other night when I correctly recalled the squad numbers for everyone in my first team squad!

Its hard to help really, I tend to have a good memory for names and stats and stuff when it comes to FM. My housemate called me sad the other night when I correctly recalled the squad numbers for everyone in my first team squad!

Lol I have had a similar kind of experience... It is coz I normally number my team 1-11 and then subs accordingly... Hahaha

Best way to get to know your players is to always pick the lineup - never ask your assistant to do it.

Keep the squad fairly small, no more than 2 players for each position.

During pre-season friendlies, study each member of the team and pick a first eleven and a second eleven. Rotate between the two teams during the friendly games and study each player.

Give each player a label according to their attributes and character in your mind and always think about them in that way.

For instance, from my squad at the moment:

Hassan Sulaiman - attacking fullback with flair

Paul Hakim - creative, agile number 10

Gary Cohen - quick, strong forward

And so on and so forth.

I always find it easy to remember new players, who I don't know at all, by a mix of their attributes, positions and fictional characteristics that I give them.

For instance, my number 10 creative forward is nearly always a brilliant footballer but also cocky and arrogant in my eyes. One of my centre-backs is often your typical English defender, hard in the tackle, brave, determined and honest etc. My left-midfielder/winger is tricky and intelligent, while my right-midfielder is hard-working and can always be relied upon. One of my fullbacks, or my defensive-minded midfielder, mostly get the label of being my 'unsung' hero who goes about his business quietly but efficiently.

They aren't always the same labels but the point is that I always create these characters for them which make them come alive a bit more. That's the beauty of FM for me. A great FM game has players that you care about and who you want to see do well. That's one of the greatest motivations for playing a save.

It's easy to do. Just look at the players name, his position on the pitch and his attributes and then create his character in your mind. You'll easily get to 'know' and remember your players then. :thup:

Regards,

C.

To add on here I find that watching matches and rotating squads can be a great way to get to know your squad. Also when taking over a new club, I go through every single player to assess them in terms of stats. Then I pick my team accordingly

Archived